House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Compulsory Retirement At 65 To Be Phased Out

Well, ok. But suppose that you didn't have a good company pension to go to. You might not feel that being allowed to work on is such a bad thing. Me, for example, I'm 62.5 and I haven't much of a pension to look forward to. Hence, I want to stay on working.

55! That's a good age to be able to retire at.

But you just assumed due to me calling for something for the young I had to be in that group.

We have a proper mess in this country right now and I think the worst off amoung us are the young , they did not create this mess , but are going to be picking up the pieces.

I understand that due to little company pension you would want to stay on at work , however would you not understand a young person straight form school or uni and already on the scrap heap not having much understanding of your situation and might say " you have had years to make plans for your retirement if you have not been able to do that , that is your fault and now you want to hog the jobs that my generation can not get "

Another reason the govenement want to keep people working is not for the older peoples benefits but to save from not paying them pensions. It might be optional to work on past 65 now but soon it is going to be complusary .

But you just assumed due to me calling for something for the young I had to be in that group.

We have a proper mess in this country right now and I think the worst off amoung us are the young , they did not create this mess , but are going to be picking up the pieces.

I understand that due to little company pension you would want to stay on at work , however would you not understand a young person straight form school or uni and already on the scrap heap not having much understanding of your situation and might say " you have had years to make plans for your retirement if you have not been able to do that , that is your fault and now you want to hog the jobs that my generation can not get "

Another reason the govenement want to keep people working is not for the older peoples benefits but to save from not paying them pensions. It might be optional to work on past 65 now but soon it is going to be complusary .

'But you just assumed due to me calling for something for the young I had to be in that group.' I did not assume. I figured, like guessed, estimated, reckoned. Not the same as assuming.

So I didn't plan very well. I have had various things affecting my life. It might not be my fault. I don't wish to live in poverty. There are lots of people who were not earning enough to get a good company pension, or did not have a good employer, or did not feel secure enough in employment to pay into a company scheme. I had a little private pension going once and my employer introduced a company pension scheme. My insurance company told me that since I was in a company scheme that I had to come out of the private scheme. And the sums of money were small.

The point I'm making is that people in different circumstances will take different positions, naturally.

Yes, it's a cracking idea. Make the older generations wait longer for their pensions to save a bit of dosh, and hoover up all the young into universities, which they have to pay for, and save a bit of unemployment benefit. They have to go to Uni, as only those with degrees will be allowed to aspire to a one-bedroomed slavebox and a lifetime of debt. Meantime, the bankers get sore hands from rubbing them together.

Total win-win for the government. Democracy, it's all about the people!

'

So I didn't plan very well. I have had various things affecting my life. It might not be my fault. I don't wish to live in poverty. There are lots of people who were not earning enough to get a good company pension, or did not have a good employer, or did not feel secure enough in employment to pay into a company scheme. I had a little private pension going once and my employer introduced a company pension scheme. My insurance company told me that since I was in a company scheme that I had to come out of the private scheme. And the sums of money were small.

The point I'm making is that people in different circumstances will take different positions, naturally.

Yes I understand that entirley and i was not having a dig .

Things have happened to many people in life and the outcome has not been good for those who have been mis sold , mis advised , or just had their pensions destroyed by firms dipping into them and then going bust.

What has happened to pensions over the last 30 years is a total disgrace and both labour and tories have both helped with the mess. John Major could and should have sorted the problem after Maxwell happened but he did not.

Yes there are young and old alike who are going to pay the price , I just feel so sorry for the young as they have so little to look forward to.

Yes I understand that entirley and i was not having a dig .

Things have happened to many people in life and the outcome has not been good for those who have been mis sold , mis advised , or just had their pensions destroyed by firms dipping into them and then going bust.

What has happened to pensions over the last 30 years is a total disgrace and both labour and tories have both helped with the mess. John Major could and should have sorted the problem after Maxwell happened but he did not.

Yes there are young and old alike who are going to pay the price , I just feel so sorry for the young as they have so little to look forward to.

Fair enough. And I agree with your last sentence.

When they could have taken on two new graduates at the start of their career with far more to offer a company over time.

I think you'll find that younger people tend to change jobs more frequently than us old wrinklies. Plus we may over the many years of our existence gained some experience that enables us to fulfill our job functions at least as effectively as a younger person. The new graduate may well give far less to a company over time.

Your assertion is somewhat biased and ignores that fact that your generalisation is just that a generalisation. I've met people who are 20 going on 60, and 60 year olds going on 30. Temperament and attitude differ markedly between people. Sure as you get older you may lose strength and your memory certainly is less reliable but then as you become aware of the changes you develop strategies to overcome the difficulties that these changes may cause.

You may sneer at the oldies working in place like B&Q, but I far prefer being assisted by a wrinklie to being assisted by a disinterested youngster. It is I think a shame that PC World don't give up their prejudice and take on some over 50's to work in their stores. Many of us have used computers for a large portion of our working lives and are just as adept with them as an under 30. Their sales might even increase if they employed older more experienced people on their staff who understand the concept of customer service. Oh, perhaps you don't like my generalisation.

As for lack of jobs, well there are many forms of employment. You can certainly generate an income from many and varied sources. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where a number of posters took up types of manual work, such as gardening, window cleaning, odd jobbing, van driving and so on.

A defeatist attitude comes across imperceptibly at interviews or when you're making a sales pitch for offering a service. it's too easy to blame age, lack of qualifications, race, accent, hair colour, lack of hair, or whatever. Gone are the days when you could buy a pub, a village stores, or other similar businesses to run in your later years. Many of us have no choice but to continue working as long as we can. We may not want to, we may have to. In any case it's up to each of us to make our own decision and optimise our opportunities to suit our individual circumstances.

55! That's a good age to be able to retire at.

I think 55 is the age where those that find themselves unemployed or even those who choose not to work should get some kind of basic income. It could be means tested, savings up 30 or 50k and you could still get it. What's the point of chasing over 55s to get work when so many younger people are unemployed?

On the other hand those over 65 who are working enjoyably and productively should be able to continue.

The days of anything like full employment are over and will maybe never return.

I think 55 is the age where those that find themselves unemployed or even those who choose not to work should get some kind of basic income. It could be means tested, savings up 30 or 50k and you could still get it. What's the point of chasing over 55s to get work when so many younger people are unemployed?

On the other hand those over 65 who are working enjoyably and productively should be able to continue.

The days of anything like full employment are over and will maybe never return.

Yes also many who have done manual work and or shift work are really starting to wear out by then.

Where i worked shif and manual work was the norm guys of 55 looked 10 years older than my dad even though it was the other way around , Dad never did shift or manual work.

Nothing at all wrong with creating a situation where people can choose to either continue working or retire. What would be wrong is if people were forced to work, by economic or other circumstances, beyond the time when they were comfortably able, or willing, to do so. Of course, that can only be said within the context of a universally accepted expectation of state (or private) funding for people in old age. This may be about to change. In extremis, goodbye comfortable and properly funded final years, hello workhouse!!. Well. what would you prefer?

The thing I don't understand about pensions, is why did they recently reduce the number of qualifying years to get one? It doesn't make any sense given the state of the finances.

That's easy. Women take career breaks, so tying pension entitlement to the time you've paid in is sex discrimination.

(yes, that's exactly the reason - the idea being that 30 years allows for time out sprogging. And now that Ms Harfwit is out, I can admit that despite being male I may stand to benefit from that one, having lost some years contributions when I had no income).

That's easy. Women take career breaks, so tying pension entitlement to the time you've paid in is sex discrimination.

(yes, that's exactly the reason - the idea being that 30 years allows for time out sprogging. And now that Ms Harfwit is out, I can admit that despite being male I may stand to benefit from that one, having lost some years contributions when I had no income).

Yes im nearly at the golden 30 years of contributions , missed a few myself so just got to make up a few more .

No they tell the picture that there are more people than jobs , if it was the other way around even totally unqualified people would be in jobs.

Totally unqualified people are in jobs. Loads of them.

Also, although not totally unqualified, many folk get promoted through the ranks until they get to a level at least one above their capabilities. They then struggle on, out of their depth, for years. Some even get promoted again just to get rid of them. <_<

Totally unqualified people are in jobs. Loads of them.

Also, although not totally unqualified, many folk get promoted through the ranks until they get to a level at least one above their capabilities. They then struggle on, out of their depth, for years. Some even get promoted again just to get rid of them. <_<

Yes i know that goes on have seen it in places where i have worked.

It goes to prove my point, people in jobs and unemployment is about numbers, when there are jobs people get them reguardless whether they can do them of not , when there are no or very few jobs even highly skilled and educated are left on the scrap heap.

Why would the "elites" want the minimum qualifying years to be only 30? They won't be bothered about a state pension.

min (x/40, 1) * 0 = 0

min (x/30, 1) * 0 = 0

min (x/20, 1) * 0 = 0

Let's face it the pension system was never designed for people to claim for 30 or 40 years, just 2 or 3 then drop dead (like a clapped out pit pony). This way through government policy a culture of working until you literally drop will gradually become engendered in the working populous thus resetting the pension system to its original purpose.

And there used to be 40 workers for every person retired.

It'd work if we could get the numbers back that way. ;-/