House Price Crash Forum

Too Late To Move House This Year

HOLA441

Hello -

I bought my current house early this year, after several very stressful months looking for decent £200K-£300K properties, which practically vanished from the market in my area (Bristol commuter belt) between November 2009 and May 2010.

I'm not particularly happy in my new house for various reasons, but the experience has helped me to understand what I really want in a house. There are currently some houses on sale that *are* what I'm looking for, but they sell quickly. Is it too late for me to put my current house on the market and find a new house before all the good ones vanish from the market again this autumn?

I'm not too worried about the overall direction of house prices. Please don't suggest sell-to-rent, I've done that a couple of times for short periods, but this time I want to do a conventional sell-and-buy-at-the-same-time house move.

So, should I try to sell now, or wait until next spring?

HOLA442

Hello -

I bought my current house early this year, after several very stressful months looking for decent £200K-£300K properties, which practically vanished from the market in my area (Bristol commuter belt) between November 2009 and May 2010.

I'm not particularly happy in my new house for various reasons, but the experience has helped me to understand what I really want in a house. There are currently some houses on sale that *are* what I'm looking for, but they sell quickly. Is it too late for me to put my current house on the market and find a new house before all the good ones vanish from the market again this autumn?

I'm not too worried about the overall direction of house prices. Please don't suggest sell-to-rent, I've done that a couple of times for short periods, but this time I want to do a conventional sell-and-buy-at-the-same-time house move.

So, should I try to sell now, or wait until next spring?

Since you're not happy where you are and are not interested in house price direction, surely you would want to sell now if you can see properties that look interesting.

There's a flood of properties on the market at the moment and (don't pass this information around, but) the housing market does not close for autumn/winter. B)

HOLA443

Since you're not happy where you are and are not interested in house price direction, surely you would want to sell now if you can see properties that look interesting.

There's a flood of properties on the market at the moment and (don't pass this information around, but) the housing market does not close for autumn/winter. B)

The market for decent 3-bed detached houses in the Bristol area closed down last winter - honestly it did. It had more dogs than Battersea Dogs Home. I don't need to complete this year, but I don't want to agree a sale on my house, and then find that there's nothing on the market that I want to buy, so I think timing may be critical for me.

HOLA444

Unless you've got enough to buy a place right away without having sold yours, the only alternative is to start by selling it.

No one (so very few people) will accept any offer on a house if the potential buyer already has funds or has exchanged contracts on their property.

HOLA445

The market for decent 3-bed detached houses in the Bristol area closed down last winter - honestly it did. It had more dogs than Battersea Dogs Home. I don't need to complete this year, but I don't want to agree a sale on my house, and then find that there's nothing on the market that I want to buy, so I think timing may be critical for me.

There were very few properties on the Market over the last year hence the price rises. We now have a surge of pent up supply coming onto the Market and there is no reason to suggest that this will be any different in the winter. In fact there will probably be even less buyers then. I would sell now and take advantage of the buyers Market when u come to buy.