House Price Crash Forum
RichM

Man Down! Man Down!

I'm in the public sector. :o Just accept me as I am, I love myself and that's all that matters I'm me and you can't be no one else yeah, I am proud to be me, I'm above your hate, etc etc

Anyway, I'm on research council money - I won around 500K last year for my cutting edge medical research, but...

Even though my grant money is safe, I am not allowed to recruit an essential member of my team as my research council has a freeze on recruitment! No team member, no research. So, 500K down the swanny.

One is not amused.

(sorry about the typo in the title)

Edited by RichM

I'm in the public sector. :o Just accept me as I am, I love myself and that's all that matters I'm me and you can't be no one else yeah, I am proud to be me, I'm above your hate, etc etc

Anyway, I'm on research council money - I won around 500K last year for my cutting edge medical research, but...

Even though my grant money is safe, I am not allowed to recruit an essential member of my team as my research council has a freeze on recruitment! No team member, no research. So, 500K down the swanny.

One is not amused.

To be fair wasn't the money wasted as soon as it was given to you. After all Uk and 'cutting edge medical research' is a bit of an oxymoron. We are now 2nd maybe 3rd rate in terms of medical research. So shouldn't be accept that and stop wasting money on the scientists who are having a nice holiday with our tax and various charity monies

To be fair wasn't the money wasted as soon as it was given to you. After all Uk and 'cutting edge medical research' is a bit of an oxymoron. We are now 2nd maybe 3rd rate in terms of medical research. So shouldn't be accept that and stop wasting money on the scientists who are having a nice holiday with our tax and various charity monies

You're so right. I've just resigned, and start work with Goldman Sachs next week doing something useful.

One is not amused.

What field of medical research?

Ever considered a career moonlighting as a Chesney Hawkes tribute act?

And this expert opinion comes from your vast experience of performing cutting-edge medical research yourself I suppose? :rolleyes:

Did the 500k you ask for include money for staff costs or was it an equipment grant? I haven't heard of research councils ordering staff freezes, that's down to individual institutions, the RCs basically award the money you ask for if you're successful and let you get on with it in my experience (not as vast as other posters on this thread obv). The worst i've heard is them kicking up stinks over reallocating money i.e. from equipment to salary costs?

Edited by noodle doodle

Why don't you purchase some IT equipment which is hideously expensive, but happens to come with free 24 x 7 first year support?

Or a nice settee with some scatter cushions. Might as well be comfortable.

Thats a silly thing to say: if government is going to spend taxpayer money then this kind of thing has to be worth a punt, both in terms of outcomes on people's lives and potential export earnings.

One is not amused.

so what is happening to the half a million quid?

I take it it goes back to the funder.

so what is happening to the half a million quid?

Normally it would be something like this....

250k is spent on hardware.

100k is spent on service contracts for them.

100k is spent on consumables.

50k is spent employing 2 research assistants.

But in this case....

Edited by twatmangle

Or a nice settee with some scatter cushions. Might as well be comfortable.

A definate possibility, but I don't remember my sofa coming with a year's free on-site support.

It's difficult to load 50k into a sofa deal, although the MoD seem to be quite adept at managing it.

On the other hand, loading 50k onto a bespoke software deal is a much easier escape route.

Huh?

What have scientists ever done for us?

um....

given you the technology to write your thoughts on a forum, with a computer, using electricity, and Liquid Crystal Display technologies, connected to web that spans the entire globe for everyone to read, instantly.

Apart from all that, what have the romans scientists ever done for us?

One is not amused.

That kind of idiocy is nothing new - about 15 years ago I went for an interview with Ford. Although I was looking for a permanent job, they were only recruiting contractors. Seems that they had a headcount freeze in place (to help reduce costs), but that contractors did not count. So they were taking on loads of contractors who cost a lot more... :(

So, it's a long shot, but it might be worth checking if HR in your place is just as stupid ;)

I am entirely sympathetic. We are in a period of dogmatic management. Budgetary control is usually the first victim of rational control.

On a larger scale, Forgemasters was a similar decision.

The Libcons are trying to run without bothering to learn to walk, daft decisions are the consequence.

Never mind, it is not their money nor their futures.

One is not amused.

Basically 500 grand isn't enough money.... one does wonder why you went to the effort of applying for a grant which you haven't got a hope in hell of delivering. If you need 500 grand PLUS the staff costs it would probably have been a good idea to include the payroll in your costings.

If I walk into a VW dealership and ask how much is that car I expect to be given an accurate price.... I don't expect to buy a car and then find out the dealer wants more money to bolt on a set of wheels.

If the 500 grand was simply for equipment I hope you remembered to tell the awarding body that you WOULDN'T have the budget to actually make any use this expensive kit they were paying for.

Did the 500k you ask for include money for staff costs or was it an equipment grant? I haven't heard of research councils ordering staff freezes, that's down to individual institutions, the RCs basically award the money you ask for if you're successful and let you get on with it in my experience (not as vast as other posters on this thread obv). The worst i've heard is them kicking up stinks over reallocating money i.e. from equipment to salary costs?

Noodle, you win a prize - this is the opinion I've just had from a more senior admin type. Shows you how spooked my normal (usually very unflappable) admin officer is. I must just be saved after all - though I'm holding the Chesney Hawkes act in reserve, just in case things with my job or Goldman Sachs don't work out.

The research is interesting... it's not cancer, it's not heart disease, if you got what I study it's not nice at all. Some people on here might not think it's worth researching though and judge me, and you know how gentle and meek I am - ergo, I am not going to spill the beans. Plus, it's a small area I'm in, so people could track me down and stalk me. I'd quite like the attention but the wife gets hacked off.

Wow, I never knew that, I always thought it was something the UK was quite good at. How come you know so much about it, is this your field?

Basically 500 grand isn't enough money.... one does wonder why you went to the effort of applying for a grant which you haven't got a hope in hell of delivering. If you need 500 grand PLUS the staff costs it would probably have been a good idea to include the payroll in your costings.

If I walk into a VW dealership and ask how much is that car I expect to be given an accurate price.... I don't expect to buy a car and then find out the dealer wants more money to bolt on a set of wheels.

If the 500 grand was simply for equipment I hope you remembered to tell the awarding body that you WOULDN'T have the budget to actually make any use this expensive kit they were paying for.

That 500K does include staff costs - that's the point, my research council was saying freeze on recruitment, even if you've the money! It seems it's not that bad though, but my institution's bricking itself.

Don't tell them 'til you've spent the 500k.

I'm thinking swiss bank account and somewhere in the Alps...........good luck!

Noodle, you win a prize - this is the opinion I've just had from a more senior admin type. Shows you how spooked my normal (usually very unflappable) admin officer is. I must just be saved after all - though I'm holding the Chesney Hawkes act in reserve, just in case things with my job or Goldman Sachs don't work out.

The research is interesting... it's not cancer, it's not heart disease, if you got what I study it's not nice at all. Some people on here might not think it's worth researching though and judge me, and you know how gentle and meek I am - ergo, I am not going to spill the beans. Plus, it's a small area I'm in, so people could track me down and stalk me. I'd quite like the attention but the wife gets hacked off.

How many people suffer from the disease you study?

What field of medical research?

I think it's a drug that miraculously activates the social conscience of known sociopaths and psychopaths. The government took one look at it and...