House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

B O E, Mortgage Approvals Down

I thought this info was out last week at 48,000? Are these the same figures but from the BOE instead of the Mortgage Lenders?

Sky are saying the lending figures are lower than expected and that it doesn't bode well for house prices over the coming months.

They will be discussing house prices shortly, they say.

Updated chart:

approvals0610.gif

Well, that supports the "shortage of buyers" theory I heard this morning on R4. Basically, the reversal of "shortage of properties available".

Ah, but isn't this the summer lull? You know, where everyone is sunning themselves on their new build investment negative equity property on the Costa del Sol and too busy to be a savvy investor?

Ah, but isn't this the summer lull? You know, where everyone is sunning themselves on their new build investment negative equity property on the Costa del Sol and too busy to be a savvy investor?

They are seasonally adjusted to take summer lulls into account.

The figures last week was the preliminary release. This is the full release. The actual report is not on the boe website yet.

Well, that supports the "shortage of buyers" theory I heard this morning on R4. Basically, the reversal of "shortage of properties available".

.....there is a SHORTAGE OF BUYERS prepared to pay top asking prices...was speaking to an EA yesterday, mentioned a couple of houses I know well in the area, on market 4 months asking prices both priced peak for the road, the agent said both properties were rented and they would not sell at the price they are asking when three similar properties sold for 20% less recently....to be honest the owners are trying their luck....if they really wanted to sell they will have to drop the price. ;)

Updated chart:

approvals0610.gif

You know it's all so hilarious. It used to be said all the time that 90k+pm were needed for HPI. Much below that and prices were trending down. Yet it is never discussed now.

The thing is it's as true today as it always was. The year to April 2010 was a total abberation and, in any case, only applied to London and SE.

World cup blamed yet?

Nah - it wasn't a proper item (with 'experts', etc.) as I expected. Just lots of graphs and waffle.

Still pretty bearish, though.

Bearwave©™ rating 4 (out of 10)

<_<