House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Highstreetmax Scam

Wife just told me that a payment has been coming out of her credit card for £14.95 each month... and she has no idea what it is but it's for HighStreetMax. Did a little bit of research and it's a huge scam with articles about it all over the place! Usually happens after you've booked something on lastminute.com and clicked a popup.

So check your credit card statements boys and girls - it could be on there and maybe you've been paying it for years!

:ph34r:

Are they still up to this? I just did a google and found complaints about them from two years ago saying that there were people who'd been charged by them for 2-3 years without realising. How long has your wife been paying this?

Yep - they're still up to it.

Unbelieveable that a supposedly reputable company like LastMinute.com does this sort of thing.

My wife bought some theatre tickets from LM about 3 months ago - she saw a popup saying 'click here if you want to save money on future bookings'. She clicked and, apparantly, nothing happened so she forgot all about it. However just this weekend she looked at her credit card statements and found that she'd been charged £14.95 for the last two months by HighStreetMax!! I did some research and found it was this LastMinute.com scam.... UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

There's a great big long MSE thread on a similar scam which might be useful to you. Have you had any luck getting a refund or at least stopping future charges? Seems from that thread that you probably won't be able to cancel it with the bank and will have to go through the company.

Not yet, she only told me about it yesterday, and I did my research last night when I posted. Will try to do something about it today.

I find it difficult to believe that:

1. the bank won't stop it,

2. LastMinute.com are involved in this scam.

3. It is impossible to stop this scam at HighStreetMax.com.

!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe but this sort of crap is apparently technically legal. It's to do wit hthe laws around opening subscriptions. My other half got stung by a similar scam, she managed to get half the money back from the bank but only after a lot of tears and toil.

You sign up for a subscription and you got 14 days cooldown (cooloff?), after that you're stuffed. And apparently on the internet just clicking on a button can sign you up without you even knowing about it.

Sorry to hear about those ripped off like this. It does scare me as I do a lot of internet shopping myself.

Here is an excellent blog with a detailed investigation of these scammers

HighstreetMax scam

Thanks very much corevalue, much appreciated.

Hard to believe but this sort of crap is apparently technically legal. It's to do wit hthe laws around opening subscriptions. My other half got stung by a similar scam, she managed to get half the money back from the bank but only after a lot of tears and toil.

You sign up for a subscription and you got 14 days cooldown (cooloff?), after that you're stuffed. And apparently on the internet just clicking on a button can sign you up without you even knowing about it.

Yes, that's the issue. LastMinute.com passed along my wife's credit card details to HighStreetMax.com simply by her clicking on a button on a popup saying "Click here to get £10 off". She did not ener her credit card details again - LastMinute simply gave them to another company to bill her... repeatedly.

mad.gif