House Price Crash Forum
nicklaus

Rent Including All Bills

We are viewing a rental place tomorrow which is on the market at 1100pcm but it includes all bills.

I asked the agent which bills exactly eg. council tax, water, gas, elec. He said it includes the lot. It sounded like a good deal but then I was wondering why you would do this. We could run up a huge gas & electric bill that eats into the landlord's income.

What advantage is there for a landlord in offering a place inclusive of bills? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep all the utilities and council tax under their name as they haven't told the mortgage company or something.

Am I missing something?

We are viewing a rental place tomorrow which is on the market at 1100pcm but it includes all bills.

I asked the agent which bills exactly eg. council tax, water, gas, elec. He said it includes the lot. It sounded like a good deal but then I was wondering why you would do this. We could run up a huge gas & electric bill that eats into the landlord's income.

What advantage is there for a landlord in offering a place inclusive of bills? The only reason I can think of is that they want to keep all the utilities and council tax under their name as they haven't told the mortgage company or something.

Am I missing something?

Yes, what about the Sky, broadband and mobile phone bills?

Yes, what about the Sky, broadband and mobile phone bills?

Ha yes, I'll ask about the BT line and broadband tomorrow. I've got some friends in Australia I need to call.

Just curious as to what's in it for the landlord.

Ha yes, I'll ask about the BT line and broadband tomorrow. I've got some friends in Australia I need to call.

Just curious as to what's in it for the landlord.

It's pretty standard in Uncle Sam land. LL pays all the utilities here.

Who are "WE" ? If you are a group of people the LL may cover the bills to prevent argument about the bills; there's a school of thought that says that in some HMOs this ought to happen so no tenant's action can prevent other tenants having hot water etc.

When I've done this on student lets the rent has been set to cover likely bills - though I will admit to having to grit my teet when the central heating boiler is clearly going full blast and they've got all the windows open!

If a LL is reasonable then most tenants won't deliberately run up bills; but no LL I've ever heard of will include landline calls (unless they can set it to block premium & international numbers.)

Getting broadband without access to outgoing calls is a perennial headache for our houses as students (quite reasonably) expect fast broadband links.

Who are "WE" ? If you are a group of people the LL may cover the bills to prevent argument about the bills; there's a school of thought that says that in some HMOs this ought to happen so no tenant's action can prevent other tenants having hot water etc.

When I've done this on student lets the rent has been set to cover likely bills - though I will admit to having to grit my teet when the central heating boiler is clearly going full blast and they've got all the windows open!

If a LL is reasonable then most tenants won't deliberately run up bills; but no LL I've ever heard of will include landline calls (unless they can set it to block premium & international numbers.)

Getting broadband without access to outgoing calls is a perennial headache for our houses as students (quite reasonably) expect fast broadband links.

It's just for me and the girlfriend. It's only a 1 bed place in London. I've seen a few places including council tax in the rent which made a bit more sense, but throwing gas, water & elec in as well is pretty unusual. I will ask a few more questions tomorrow when we see it.

Its about tax avoidance but doesn't work if a former tenant notifies the Inland Revenue. Then a watch is put on the property for a sale.

Am I missing something?

Is it an annexe to a larger house? If so, beware, if the council gets wind of it and the landlord hasn't told the council, you could get stuck with the council tax. Also, with an annexe, you have to ensure that the Post Office and council know it's a separate dwelling, or you could end up with your credit history getting mixed up with the landlords... believe me, we found out the hard way....