House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JMcLane

House Prices Seem To Be Going Up In Price And Up In Listings

Hello folks.

I am in south herts and I have been watching housing for so long its getting boring but over the last week I have noticed some weird things. I swear the prices are going up.

Not only are they going up in price they seem to be going up in the listings on RM and Zoopla. It makes sense the price edit would tag the page as newer and maybe the coding of the site ignores that in the Database SELECT statements.

I am also noticing houses SSTC and then no SSTC, I really think something is going on and it is fishy.

Anyway.... The reason for this post was that the prices are going up when I know people who are selling and getting no viewings and chains being broken (2 doors up from me). Is this some scam from the EA's to basically get the price higher by as much as the wise ones are offering less?

I am ready to go in buying a home, got my $$$ ready and debt freee and chain free but I am not falling for it. I dont see houses going up fast in the real world, this fake EA world can do what it likes until the stampede overwhelms them.

I just wondered if others have seen an increase and thought the same as me.

Cheers

Hi JMc

Welcome to the site. I live in South Herts as well and don't notice the things you are talking about.

Before we start, you need to start finding out real information, not just hunches or the fake EA nonsense you so rightly point out. Get yourself the Firefox browser. Then install the Property Bee add on (you may want to include the Ad Block add on as well - it's brilliant!). Set up a bee account and make sure you "work in a bee". Now go and look at your Rightmove properties and watch the scales fall from your eyes. Property Bee may just be the best thing to happen to house hunting ever. Ever. All hail Beerhunter. You will learn the delight of watching over priced greed machines repeatedly going from "SSTC" to "Available". It's a wonderful thing.

Then head over to one of the many house price sites, I use Home or house prices, to find out what's really going on. This is what's been going on in Herts over the past year, change the report setting to get a longer view or look at your local towns for a more indepth view.

Let me know what you find out.

What they are up for sale at and what they will ever sell for are two completly different things.

I had a friend who had to sell a flat in Docklands in a hurry January 2009 , it was valued at between 475 and 525, he took 420 and it completed in march 2009.

Looking the other night on rightmove a slightly smaller flat in his block but with a better aspect was on at 745 , up for sale with the agent that valued my friends flat at 475 last year. I looked at right move and they had 2 bed flats on in this development at 480-520, my friends flat was a 3 bed. To be honest i could not beleive my eyes.

Then i went on HOUSEPRIECE . NET, which is the govenment site which list's all completed sales and the prices acheived. There was my friends flat sold last year 420 , there were a few other sales around the 400k mark and some below this figure propbley two bed flat's.

This year on that development there have been zero sales , not one flat has sold out of a development of about 400 units. There has never been a sale at the figures that asking prices are being displayed by agent's at the moment. The only really high price was one in 2008 that went for over the 1M mark ( but that would have been a large penthouse.)

Repeat the asking prices are nowhere near the sale prices.

I agree with all the above, but one of our local EA's routinely de-lists and re-lists properties to get rid of the 'bee' history. So today for example there is a NEW listing that was previously SSTC and another NEW listing that was on previously for 20K more....

Property Bee also has a Sidebar feature which lists the history of all the properties you've viewed. If you know a property used to be listed, you can scan through and find the old advert and compare to the new one.

Hello folks.

I am in south herts and I have been watching housing for so long its getting boring but over the last week I have noticed some weird things. I swear the prices are going up.

Not only are they going up in price they seem to be going up in the listings on RM and Zoopla. It makes sense the price edit would tag the page as newer and maybe the coding of the site ignores that in the Database SELECT statements.

I am also noticing houses SSTC and then no SSTC, I really think something is going on and it is fishy.

Anyway.... The reason for this post was that the prices are going up when I know people who are selling and getting no viewings and chains being broken (2 doors up from me). Is this some scam from the EA's to basically get the price higher by as much as the wise ones are offering less?

I am ready to go in buying a home, got my $$$ ready and debt freee and chain free but I am not falling for it. I dont see houses going up fast in the real world, this fake EA world can do what it likes until the stampede overwhelms them.

I just wondered if others have seen an increase and thought the same as me.

Cheers

You need to move to East Sussex then. They are dropping by about 10% so far this year. I know because I get EA listings every day on my email and I am tracking a few targets ready for a super low offer as winter is at its most dismal and depressing. These drops are not theory or statistical interpretation--they are actual drops!

20% down by Crimbo!