House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

Pants At Sleeping - Anyone Recommend Anything To Help?

I've become very poor at sleeping. I can't remember the last time I had an unbroken night's sleep and when I waken it's usually to fret about things that seem trivial by day but huge at night. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations to deal with this. I now sleep with a book on the pillow so I read myself to sleep again as soon as I waken, rather than allowing the trivia to develop into a 'thinking' session.

If anyone has any first hand recommendations for remedies (you see all these herbal ones for example) I'd be glad to hear them. I've not taken anything yet, and don't really want to long term, but would like to break an unhelpful pattern.

I've become very poor at sleeping. I can't remember the last time I had an unbroken night's sleep and when I waken it's usually to fret about things that seem trivial by day but huge at night. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations to deal with this. I now sleep with a book on the pillow so I read myself to sleep again as soon as I waken, rather than allowing the trivia to develop into a 'thinking' session.

If anyone has any first hand recommendations for remedies (you see all these herbal ones for example) I'd be glad to hear them. I've not taken anything yet, and don't really want to long term, but would like to break an unhelpful pattern.

This may be unhelpful, but is advice given in good faith..... sex!

I find that after an hour of "bedroom exercises" I tend to nod off and sleep the sleep of the dead. I'm fairly sure it's not a 'man thing' either, judging by the Richter Scale snoring that the OH produces!

Alternatively, 8-10 pints of 80 shilling usually works as well.

blackout blinds and ear plugs and sex and then warm shower and before you go to sleep. To fall asleep you need to stop thinking, slow your breathing as slow as you can manage, breath out and hold your breath after you have breathed out, breath in when you need to and repeat until the oxygen in your blood is low enough to send you to sleep automatically. With a lack of oxygen in your blood you stop thinking about things, and your thinking about breathing which takes your mind off stuff. You will fall asleep within 10 mins. If you wake up, you know how to go to sleep ;p

Knock yourself out...

Reduce or eliminate coffee.

Reduce or eliminate caffeine-based drinks(Coke, Red Bull etc)

Do more exercise. Real exercise.

Have more sex(needs to be reasonably good sex or the effect could be negative!).

If you do all that and you still can't sleep then you have a more serious problem, see a doctor, but google whatever they give you.

Exercise HARD in the late afternoon or early evening. Then, as Rolf says, have a ***** just as you feel like dropping off.

I reckon this would work for 99% of blokes out there.

I've become very poor at sleeping.

THIS - is `part` of the problem, you`ve become anxious about sleeping therefore it becomes a self for-filling prophesy

hence - stop worrying about it and the problem will go away by itself

try listening to radio 5Live through the night, at a very quiet level and only just loud enough so you can make out whats being said -

this will help you get to sleep and also get back to sleep if you wake up because your focus is on the radio and not whatever is worrying you -

downside to this is that after a very short while you will never be able to sleep again with-out the radio being on

5HTP plus Valerian Capsules - I get mine at Zipvit (bargainous prices!)

5HTP is the body's precursor to seratonin - the 'happy' neurochemical that's also important for making you feel relaxed and also in making you go to sleep.

Lavender oil - 10 drops on your pillowcase. No research has been carried out on it, but it works for me. Good luck.

Cut out caffeine, and try to drop your body temperature before going to bed - so turn the heating down, don't have a hot shower/bath (counter productive) and don't exercise right before bed.

I think the poster who said this worrying is a self-fulfilling prophecy is quite right. Best things to do is go to bed and not be bothered if you get sleep or not, just enjoy the rest, get comfortable, and deal with tomorrow when it arrives.

Read the investment forum?

Serioulsy, you must be stressed whether you realise or not and it's about de-stressing before you go to bed.

Agree with AteMoose re breathing- this should calm you and also all advice re sex/exercise is good advice IMO as will help you to de-stress.

I don't think drugs/remedies are really tackling the cause.

Lots of luck- is a nightmare i know!

I find half an hour of reading HPC helps. Infact, it's already having an eff......... (not your thread BTW).

Guest Noodle

Often awake for two sometimes three days before I finally just pass out. A remnant effect of my old career. I've yet to find a way to alleviate this.

Cut out caffeine, and try to drop your body temperature before going to bed - so turn the heating down, don't have a hot shower/bath (counter productive) and don't exercise right before bed.

I think the poster who said this worrying is a self-fulfilling prophecy is quite right. Best things to do is go to bed and not be bothered if you get sleep or not, just enjoy the rest, get comfortable, and deal with tomorrow when it arrives.

er you have a shower before bed, because sleep is brought on by a falling body tempurature, if you get your body warm and it cools off after your shower it will help you fall asleep. It helps me anyways. Like I said before, breathing slowly is the BIG help, it knocks you out...

er you have a shower before bed, because sleep is brought on by a falling body tempurature, if you get your body warm and it cools off after your shower it will help you fall asleep. It helps me anyways. Like I said before, breathing slowly is the BIG help, it knocks you out...

I always feel hot for at least 30mins after a hot shower.

Could do with some tips myself at the moment as just finished a night shift at 7am, slept until midday and just lied there until 2pm..and that's gotta keep me going til 7am tomorrow :(

Nytol is great to help regulate sleep when you are stressed out, worried, or simply jetlagged.

No prescription needed: it's sold over the counter at Boots, Superdrug or any chemist.

Read in bed.

If it's a good page-turner, it will take your mind off the other things.

It will relax you physically.

You will probably find that you will become sleepy quite quickly.

Normally when people feel tired they wash up, switch off the tv and walk upstairs, clean their teeth etc under bright lights and all that., but you'll already be in bed ready to drop off.

Read as much as you like, even for an hour if needed. You will find yourself relaxing more and more. You might even rest you eyes and start dropping into sleep with the book in your hand. You can just turn off the light and go under, still thinking of what's going on in the book rather than the other things.

Sounds a bit gay but it does work.

As does knocking one off.

Nytol is great to help regulate sleep when you are stressed out, worried, or simply jetlagged.

No prescription needed: it's sold over the counter at Boots, Superdrug or any chemist.

Piriton is the same - and a lot cheaper.

THIS - is `part` of the problem, you`ve become anxious about sleeping therefore it becomes a self for-filling prophesy

hence - stop worrying about it and the problem will go away by itself

Exactly. Rephrase the "problem": You are a champ at staying awake.

Other tips I've read include keeping a notepad by your bedside - write down what's bothering you so your mind can relax as you won't forget it in the morning. Breathing exercises (obviously?). A cup of warm milk. A warm shower, cool room, nice sheets and duvet. No TV or phone or laptops. Ipod if desperate - try ambient music e.g. Orb, Moby's meditative stuff.

Finally if you really can't sleep, don't sweat it. One time I only got 1 hour the night before my GMAT test. I went into the exam anyway and aced it, despite thinking I was "sleep deprived" I was actually in the zone. Then I slept well the following nights.