House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

audi tt

Asbestos Reports

Hi all,

wasn't quite sure where to post this so here goes:

We have just had an asbestos report done for the communial parts of our building which was converted in 2002 to apartments, from a large stately home.

I have been told its clear but we also will need one next year. Why?

Being converted in 2000- 2002 surely planning would have made sure the building was clear?

Our management company is not rich as it is owned by the leaseholders only and I am looking at why we would need to spend the for the cost of another report next year if this one is clear?

Any advise on this would be good. B)

Guest Noodle

Hi all,

We have just had an asbestos report done for the communial parts of our building which was converted in 2002 to apartments, from a large stately home.

Being converted in 2000- 2002 surely planning would have made sure the building was clear?

Our management company is not rich as it is owned by the leaseholders only and I am looking at why we would need to spend the for the cost of another report next year if this one is clear?

Could be the recent change in the Asbestos regs, but this sounds like nonsense and a con.

File the report with local environmental health at your council and/or local HSE and ask them to clarify.

Hi all,

I can't see any reason why this needs to be done again. Either there is asbestos there or there isn't. Even if there is then as long as it's intact then it's perfexctly safe and doesn't need to be removed.

Guest Noodle

I can't see any reason why this needs to be done again. Either there is asbestos there or there isn't. Even if there is then as long as it's intact then it's perfexctly safe and doesn't need to be removed.

Yup. I've read hundreds of abo survey reports, we still act on reports that were prepared 5+ years ago when programming from asbestos removal prior to demolition.

This is a shake down.

Guest Noodle

Thanks for that guys, I was also thinking its a con but need to clarify. B)

I have emailed the HSE for confirmation on this.

Let me know would you? Cheers.

Every time somebody mentions Waste Management Consultant, I imagine Tony Soprano! :huh:

Thanks for that guys, I was also thinking its a con but need to clarify. B)

I have emailed the HSE for confirmation on this.

From what I recall of the Duty to Manage Requirements;

An initial assessment is made.

If it is established that there is no asbestos that is it for ever more

However if asbestos is identified as in situ then the management of such material needs to be periodically reviewed. So for example today it might be fine but in 5 years has declined to such a state that removal is necessary.

I would imagine if your building has some asbestos a periodic review is necessary but certainly not a full survey to identify material - well unless some fookwit has lost the original report