House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Father Who Wiped Out His Family Faced A Cash Crisis After Struggling To Avoid Bankruptcy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298069/Father-Andrew-Case-murdered-wife-daughters-hanging-money-worries.html

The father who killed his wife and two young daughters may have been tipped over the edge by money worries after struggling to avoid bankruptcy.

Andy Case, 33, convinced himself that he was about to lose everything as he struggled to cope with the 'pressures of modern society'.

Friends have told how they feared that the couple were living beyond their means in the weeks and months leading up to the tragedy.

Both drove relatively new cars - a Land Rover and top-of-the-range Volkswagen Golf - and enjoyed a good social life.

The family had only recently returned to their £700-a-month rented cottage in Fordingbridge, Hampshire, after a holiday in Weymouth, Dorset.

On Monday, Mr Case 'snapped', fatally stabbing the toddlers, two-and-a-half-year-old Phoebe, 18-month-old Nereya, and his 31-year-old wife Vicky, before hanging himself.

It has emerged that Mr Case's efforts to get his finances in order may have been dented by a problem his wife had with her credit card.

It was claimed that Mrs Case owed up to £7,000 after a recent spending spree.

A friend said: 'When that credit card bill hit the doormat Andy must have hit the roof.

'It seems she was paying back what she owed on her VW Golf with the card as well as buying expensive presents for herself and the kids.'

Mr Case worked as a delivery driver for Wiltshire-based haulage firm Doccombe European Ltd for three years and was said to be a model employee.

But managing director John Underhill said he had been struggling to cope, adding: 'Andy and Vicki were a beautiful couple. Like so many other in this day and age, they fought against the pressures of modern society to maintain a happy, respectable and responsible family life.'

Very tragic that he decided to take this way out of the mess they'd got themselves into.

Paying back debt with debt, excellent. I wonder how widespread this is in the UK?

There's been similar stories in the past you do wonder whether the current economic climate are going to tip more and more people over the edge like this.

Guest Noodle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298069/Father-Andrew-Case-murdered-wife-daughters-hanging-money-worries.html

Very tragic that he decided to take this way out of the mess they'd got themselves into.

There's been similar stories in the past you do wonder whether the current economic climate are going to tip more and more people over the edge like this.

Got this running in OT but this is more info.

They weren't even in a mess. People need to take an Injinesque view under these circumstances. It's only money.

Heartbreaking this one.

Got this running in OT but this is more info.

They weren't even in a mess. People need to take an Injinesque view under these circumstances. It's only money.

Heartbreaking this one.

The whole point of bankruptcy law is to avoid the whole 'no escape' situation. And to make lenders think twice about showering people with cash..

Guest Noodle

The whole point of bankruptcy law is to avoid the whole 'no escape' situation. And to make lenders think twice about showering people with cash..

Exactly and automatic discharge in 12 months. Now. If they'd been a family here that owed it to dangerous money lenders I could almost understand it.

It's no bother in Blighty. They wouldn't have starved, would have stayed in the same rental most likely, they would just have lost a couple of cars. There's no shame in bankruptcy now this isn't the 1950's.

I suspect there's more to it. I suspect Andy was very unstable.

http://www.dailymail...ey-worries.html

Paying back debt with debt, excellent.  I wonder how widespread this is in the UK?

Yes very tragic.  It seems he was sensitive to debt whilst his wife was spendthrift, presumably causing resentment.

They guy was a delivery driver and they had two expensive cars.

Guest Noodle

Yes very tragic.  It seems he was sensitive to debt whilst his wife was spendthrift, presumably causing resentment.

I had a wife that was a gambler (I had no idea), fvcking millions (THB) she lost.

Interesting, the Daily Wail article mentions that he had an IVA in 2006. Yet here we are 4 years later, he's in the same job, so no more money, and the article makes it quite clear that his wife splashed out on a "top of the range golf" as well as "expensive presents" and went deep into debt.

Maybe she was one of those much-maligned women often described on HPC: the fat-arsed self-entitled spendthrift? Maybe her husband realised that his wife's behaviour was going to force him into bankruptcy a second time and he snapped?

Interesting, the Daily Wail article mentions that he had an IVA in 2006. Yet here we are 4 years later, he's in the same job, so no more money, and the article makes it quite clear that his wife splashed out on a "top of the range golf" as well as "expensive presents" and went deep into debt.

Maybe she was one of those much-maligned women often described on HPC: the fat-arsed self-entitled spendthrift? Maybe her husband realised that his wife's behaviour was going to force him into bankruptcy a second time and he snapped?

Top of the range but how old?

Anyway, if he had an IVA then the 7K on the credit card which was paying for it was not likely to be his as who's going to give him a card with that sort of credit on it? It was most likely her card so he should have let her sort it out her self.

This is all just speculation though as most of the contents of the various news stories seem to be.

Sad, pointless, and living totally out of there means. He was a delivery driver, they had a newish range rover, a newish golf, there rent was relativity high, and 7k had been loaded onto a credit card after a spending spree... They already had an IVA from 06, they last 5 years and by the looks of it they were going to break the terms and loose everything JUST before the IVA ended...

Sad, pointless, and living totally out of there means.  He was a delivery driver, they had a newish range rover, a newish golf, there rent was relativity high, and 7k had been loaded onto a credit card after a spending spree... They already had an IVA from 06, they last 5 years and by the looks of it they were going to break the terms and loose everything JUST before the IVA ended...

How would they get a CC with a 7K limit on it though as the fact that you have an IVA is recorded on your credit file?

How would they get a CC with a 7K limit on it though as the fact that you have an IVA is recorded on your credit file?

I saw an article mentioning that her credit card was stolen and had £7k run up on it.

I saw an article mentioning that her credit card was stolen and had £7k run up on it.

Still not reason to kill your self and still nothing to do with the husband. If he had an IVA then he wouldn't have been a card holder with joint liability anyway. Besides, you are almost certainly not liable for debts run up on a stolen cc unless you have been extremely reckless with it leding to the theft.

One of the articles said that she was using the CC to pay off the car which lead to the 7K debt. Both stories can't be true.

Top of the range but how old?

Anyway, if he had an IVA then the 7K on the credit card which was paying for it was not likely to be his as who's going to give him a card with that sort of credit on it? It was most likely her card so he should have let her sort it out her self.

This is all just speculation though as most of the contents of the various news stories seem to be.

Maybe he was one of those old-fashioned husbands who believed in that "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer" malarkey?

Maybe he was one of those old-fashioned husbands who believed in that "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer" malarkey?

Well, maybe. There are limits to this, however, and most people draw the line at taking the p1ss!

I don't see how slaughtering your family accords with those vows though.

Guest Noodle

Well, maybe. There are limits to this, however, and most people draw the line at taking the p1ss!

Godley has it summed up well with the adjective, incomprehensible.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place?

On the one hand, he swore to love & cherish a woman for his whole life, to raise a family with her and to protect it against anything.

On the other hand, he suddenly realises that she is destroying this family - again. She is a clear threat to this family.

His brain throws a great big "does not compute" and he goes berserker.

Maybe that's what happened? :(

On the one hand, he swore to love & cherish a woman for his whole life, to raise a family with her and to protect it against anything.

On the other hand, he suddenly realises that she is destroying this family - again. She is a clear threat to this family.

Maybe that's what happened? :(

Yes, I'm sure there's something to that. The thing about killing the kids tends to contradict that though. If it's the protection of the family you're concerned about then why slughter the lot of them and not just the one causing the problem?

Even then - surely divorce is preferable?

Like I say, I think there's more to this than just debt and a spend-happy wife.

I think he only believed in the "for better, for richer" part of that.

Maybe that's what happened? sad.gif

I think it's obvious who the 'clear threat to this family' was, and it wasn't her.

Update from the BBC which, if true, means that a lot of the media speculation may have been exagerrated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-10785032

"Tests on the girls' bodies have proved inconclusive but there were no signs they had been stabbed, police said"

"The ambulance service had said on Monday that the girls were found stabbed."

Errrrrrrrr....what the ****** is going on here ?!

"Tests on the girls' bodies have proved inconclusive but there were no signs they had been stabbed, police said"

"The ambulance service had said on Monday that the girls were found stabbed."

Errrrrrrrr....what the ****** is going on here ?!

The media have no idea what actually happened - so they make it up. Take a guess in the hope you'll scoop the competition.

Whatever the editor wants, just so long as it gets readers in.

After all the family is dead, can't sue the press for telling porkies.

An IVA can go on for years. If the supervisor sees arrears on agreed payments, he may cancel the arrangement and move for bankruptcy.

An old IVA suggests hubbie had the debt addiction as well. And I guess they had their kids during the IVA - family planning?

I think it's obvious who the 'clear threat to this family' was, and it wasn't her.

I'm not so sure...

We can play word games all day about how an IVA is not bankruptcy and who it applied to (the husband or the couple), but basically, and in plain English: this couple went bankrupt in 2006. They were probably about to go bankrupt again, and it would seem from the reports so far that the wife was the one with the spending addiction.

Again - and this is highly speculative - it's possible that the wife's behaviour was a big factor in her husband descent into madness.

An IVA can go on for years. If the supervisor sees arrears on agreed payments, he may cancel the arrangement and move for bankruptcy.

An old IVA suggests hubbie had the debt addiction as well. And I guess they had their kids during the IVA - family planning?

Maybe - then again, maybe he took the bullet for her. Maybe she had a job that she would lose if she had an IVA. It could be like the way some pubs have a woman's name on the license, because her husband has got a criminal record.

PS The above is just random musings on my part. Any relation to real life would be pure coincidence and should be viewed as such.

The media have no idea what actually happened - so they make it up. Take a guess in the hope you'll scoop the competition.

Whatever the editor wants, just so long as it gets readers in.

After all the family is dead, can't sue the press for telling porkies.

This is almost certainly the case. Reporters absoltely hate having nothing to report - I think they see it as some sort of personal failure or something. If they don't have facts then they will simply make something up with sounds plausible. It isn't universal but it's certainly true of a lot of journlists.

I was present at an incident just over five years ago. I know absolutely 100% what happened, when it happened, the names of everyone involed and where they each were at the time. The newspaper reports published in the immediatre hours afterward were all wrong in major details. There were reports by "eye-witnesses" (who were nothing of the sort) who gave details which these people could not have seen as they simply never happened.