House Price Crash Forum
indian

Cambridge Is Best Place To Live In World.

Chaps, i moved to uk from India on high skill category visa 5 years back. Settled with job & buy house in 2007 in Cambridge(at height of property prices).

Then due to family pressure . I have to again move to Canada (in June this year) to live close to sibling. I sold my house this year at little less than I bought. So having a loss. But I am able to handle it. I left my 50k(pounds) job in Cambridge & got 100k(CAD) in Markham near Toronto.

But surprisingly I miss Cambridge a lot. English weather is one of the best, In my 4-5 years of stay in UK I like that weather very much. So were the people around. In Toronto the sun rays are so deep sharp. In winter we all know what is coming. This is message for those who cry about moving out of UK. Value what you have. So what if taxes are high. English system of public transport , road driving sense etc are all best . Not to mention its weather. I already miss those clouds hovering around. Child school too was good. Houses may be big here, but getting a new tight townhouse in around (Camborne) Cambridge is also okay. I miss driving on M11 & A14 was also not that bad during weekend driving to Yarmouth beaches.

Given a chance I would return to Cambridge . I still open daily local Cambridge news site. Think twice before moving out of UK. High property prices are okay in Cambridge. They are worth what is offered as environment to grow their. May be with time I may start like Canada around. As it is still less than two months of my stay here. But I just want to share my honest feeling with public.

Chaps, i moved to uk from India on high skill category visa 5 years back. Settled with job & buy house in 2007 in Cambridge(at height of property prices).

Then due to family pressure . I have to again move to Canada (in June this year) to live close to sibling. I sold my house this year at little less than I bought. So having a loss. But I am able to handle it. I left my 50k(pounds) job in Cambridge & got 100k(CAD) in Markham near Toronto.

But surprisingly I miss Cambridge a lot. English weather is one of the best, In my 4-5 years of stay in UK I like that weather very much. So were the people around. In Toronto the sun rays are so deep sharp. In winter we all know what is coming. This is message for those who cry about moving out of UK. Value what you have. So what if taxes are high. English system of public transport , road driving sense etc are all best . Not to mention its weather. I already miss those clouds hovering around. Child school too was good. Houses may be big here, but getting a new tight townhouse in around (Camborne) Cambridge is also okay. I miss driving on M11 & A14 was also not that bad during weekend driving to Yarmouth beaches.

Given a chance I would return to Cambridge . I still open daily local Cambridge news site. Think twice before moving out of UK. High property prices are okay in Cambridge. They are worth what is offered as environment to grow their. May be with time I may start like Canada around. As it is still less than two months of my stay here. But I just want to share my honest feeling with public.

Personally, I'd love to move to Canada...not sure how easy it is to transfer my skills as a train driver though. <_<

Chaps, i moved to uk from India on high skill category visa 5 years back. Settled with job & buy house in 2007 in Cambridge(at height too was good. Houses may be big here, but getting a new tight townhouse in around (Camborne) Cambridge is also okay. I miss driving on M11 & A14 was also not that bad during weekend driving to Yarmouth beaches.

Cambourne is a dump: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/content/articles/2008/07/11/cambourne_crimebourne_feature.shtml

But still, if you're happy then go for it.

Cambourne is a dump: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cambridgeshire/content/articles/2008/07/11/cambourne_crimebourne_feature.shtml

But still, if you're happy then go for it.

No, it really isn't. It's a new town that sprang up from nowhere in the last 10-15 years so it's bound to take some time to settle down.

I don't live there and would prefer not to (too far out to easily cycle in and not near a train station for London) but it seems perfectly ok otherwise. Although a bit dull as it's in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, that article is from 2008! Orchard/Arbury park is a newer development, you should be looking down on that one now, get with the times!

I have to disagree on this one.

There are far better places to live than cambridge.

In the uk you work very high hrs for the wages return. Look at any med country and the working week is much shorter.

It depends if its money you want of quality of life?

For us relocating was the best thing we have ever done, and i feel sad that we couldn't have afforded to do it while our kids were young. B)

On the flip side I moved out of Cambridge earlier this year and cannot believe how happy I am not to live there anymore! I thoroughly detested the place and the people.

On the flip side I moved out of Cambridge earlier this year and cannot believe how happy I am not to live there anymore! I thoroughly detested the place and the people.

too much town or too much gown?

too flat?

I can sort of understand this. There is something quite nostalgic about the UK. It has very varied scenery without you having to travel too far and the weather is not too extreme in either direction. You can feel like you are missing something when you are not there and almost all British expats read the British news. BBC radio is entertaining.

But when successive governments keep taking the people for mugs it is sometimes worth making the break. I don't know if Canada will go down the same route as Britain eventually though. A couple of months is too early to make a decision. Your opinion may swing from positive to negative several times over the course of the next few years.

I have been living in France and working in Switzerland for the last few years and will soon be made redundant. So I am looking at all possibilities and of course Canada is one of them. I have been to Toronto before for a holiday and it was great but I don't know how it would be living and working there. I would still go though because I love a change. I remember thinking that the beaches around the lake were not as nice as the UK's beaches on the sea.

I would be interested to know what you are doing for 100k CAD. I work in Customer Support (software) myself. Did you apply for the job first or the visa?

too much town or too much gown?

A bit of both. Having lived all over the UK, Cambridge is without a doubt THE most unfriendly place I have ever lived by quite a significant margin. It may have lots of lovely architecture (and lots of horrible new builds crammed in any space bigger than 1'x1' ;) ) but it doesn't make up for the fact that, unless you are/were part of the Uni, there is zero community there.

I would be interested to know what you are doing for 100k CAD. I work in Customer Support (software) myself. Did you apply for the job first or the visa?

senior firmware designer/engineer in development. Same work as in cambridge. I came to canada as landed immigrant on point system skill catagory. Uk too have somewhat similar hsmp system ( now called tier 1).

Thanks chaps for your comments. Different people have different opinons on places.

Its not even the best place to live in the UK. Apparently that is Horsham or somewhere in Surrey according

Ive lived in Cambridge and will say it is certainly one of the safest and least chavvy places ive lived. Certainly less mentalists/interesting people than elsewhere, which is either very nice (if youre bringing up a family) or very boring (if youre a single guy looking for a good time) Still not worth the housing costs and congestion for me personally.

Another thing is though the central mile and surrounding parks or so are indeed very nice, most of the rest of the town is average at best, below average if anything. Even derided cities like Coventry have nicer suburbs on average.

Personally, I'd love to move to Canada...not sure how easy it is to transfer my skills as a train driver though. <_<

It definitely works for truck drivers, I've know a few now that have emigrated to Canada. There's no harm in asking, although I expect it's as tricky to get into over there as it is over here. It's a good job with good money though, I travelled across Canada by train a few years ago, and got into the cab, chatting to the engineers at one point.

I'd love to emigrate to Canada as well.

Train drivers earn pretty well if I recall...? I'm an electronics design engineer - would probably be harder for me!

I know what you mean... each time I go on holiday I love coming back to Edinburgh.

Edited by guitarman001