House Price Crash Forum

End Of Term Feeling

HOLA441

Well, it is that end of term feeling for MPs and Journos. The only other profession who gets this is, um, Teachers.

I think it is worth a mention here that whilst we all wait for the cuts in Public jobs and spending the reality is that, later this week, most of our politicians, Government included, will be disappearing off for their Summer hols. When they eventually return it will be the 'Party Season' and we will effectively be into Mid-October before we actually have a Government again.

Yes, they will claim that the process of Government is still ongoing but the truth is that the mandarins will be left in charge.

Likewise, journos will also be off on hols.

So don't expect much reporting of economic woes, public spending cuts and job losses between now and October. Don't expect it because it won't be happening - there will be no one around.

But come October the game will be afoot.

The 90 day PS consultations should be long over, the November Spending Reviews will be approaching and I think it will be between Oct and Dec that we finally get an idea where all of this is going.

If we are going to have a clear sign of a coming housing crash then it will be in November - unless the Markets tank in October first.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Likewise, journos will also be off on hols.

So don't expect much reporting of economic woes, public spending cuts and job losses between now and October. Don't expect it because it won't be happening - there will be no one around.

Surely this means that we will just have more press releases reformatted for the news page, and we will be more in the hands of people like Fionnulalala, who can put on whatever spin they see fit.

Reporting the various HP indices released will be the only "real" news amongst the beached whales and cat-up-tree stories, so might get more attention.

HOLA444
HOLA445

After this week there will be no more Working Lunch to report such things.

Wonder if the Beeb is cancelling it because the audience is so poor or because they don't want to now be reporting daily on the increasingly bad news coming in the next few years?

The audience fell from over 2 million to about 700k I read somewhere. The 'revamp' with those cringing minces across 20ft of studio floor for the guests was the final nail I think. I shall miss Naga though.

HOLA446

I think it's astonishing, and appalling, that MP's take such a long break during a time of dire economic strife. Is there any other country in the world where this happens? Perhaps it's all a case of keeping up appearances. Canceling, or shortening, the break would send the wrong message about the severity of conditions in the UK. We couldnt have that, could we. People might start to think something was wrong!!