House Price Crash Forum

2 Years In Jail For Pulling Off Someone's Veil....

ccc

HOLA441

Veil attack

Interesting story. Yes this bloke had previous. Yes this bird would have been offended by it. Yes he is probably a scumbag. Yes she did nothing wrong.

However. Two years in jail for pulling a bit of cloth of someone's FACE ?!

It seems one person is being punished more - simply due to the other person's beleifs. I just think there is something very wrong in that. To the bloke I am sure he sees it as not more than a bit of fabric over her face. To her it means a lot more. However should his punishment be extreme, and it clearly is, simply due to what her beliefs are ?

Don't get me wrong I can imagine what sort of person did this. And I have not time for these sort of people individually. However - it is the principle that is worrying. And the length of the sentence too.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

IMHO this will have a back story, they got him on this but they are locking him up for a range of things in the past...

He had previous. Apart from that no mention in the story. He was locked up for 2 years for this assault alone.

Unless the story is incorrect. Which is a possibility for the BBC.

HOLA445

I understand the government's desire to send out messages to the little people on how to behave (doesn't apply to themselves of course), but I think they are fast approaching the point where they are going to spark something we will all regret.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Wee bit more info here.

Daily Record

Seems he was wrecked and cant remember. Not that makes it ok or anything but FFS he didn't exactly push her under a bus or something. No mention of him shouting anything racist either. So seems he walked past her, pulled it of - chucked it to the ground then wandered off. Not very pleasant but not exactly the end of the World - is it ? Also seems she can't go out anymore due to this ?! blink.gif

She comes from Saudi Arabia. I am sure she is used to actions far more brutal than this.

What exactly is the difference between this and a drunken bird pulling up a guy's kilt on a night out on Glasgow ? Happens hundreds of times every weekedn up here in Jockland.

It is clear the kilt pulling up is far more 'offensive'. However would you get 2 years for that ? In fact has anyone ever been arrested for this ? Even though it happens in the middle of the street - very often in full view of the coppers ?

HOLA448
Guest X-QUORK

Agree with the general sentiment that two years is completely out of proportion to the crime. Some of our judges really do live in cloud cuckoo land.

HOLA449

Veil attack

Interesting story. Yes this bloke had previous. Yes this bird would have been offended by it. Yes he is probably a scumbag. Yes she did nothing wrong.

However. Two years in jail for pulling a bit of cloth of someone's FACE ?!

It seems one person is being punished more - simply due to the other person's beleifs. I just think there is something very wrong in that. To the bloke I am sure he sees it as not more than a bit of fabric over her face. To her it means a lot more. However should his punishment be extreme, and it clearly is, simply due to what her beliefs are ?

Don't get me wrong I can imagine what sort of person did this. And I have not time for these sort of people individually. However - it is the principle that is worrying. And the length of the sentence too.

... and those 2 happy-slappy gangsta savages who killed the elderly asian man for kicks outside of a mosque in front of his 3 yo granddaughter got only 4 and half years apiece despite them having previous for the same offence and with one being on bail for it when he committed the murder (how could it be called anything else?).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10737347

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

... and those 2 happy-slappy gangsta savages who killed the elderly asian man for kicks outside of a mosque in front of his 3 yo granddaughter got only 4 and half years apiece despite them having previous for the same offence and with one being on bail for it when he committed the murder (how could it be called anything else?).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10737347

I read this post and quickly wanted to add exactly the same as you Eric (You beat me to it) .... Those scum bags killed someone for a laugh, they were sober and had assulted other older people on the night and they will be out in 18 months... 72 fecking weeks !!

HOLA4412

He had previous. Apart from that no mention in the story. He was locked up for 2 years for this assault alone.

Unless the story is incorrect. Which is a possibility for the BBC.

Are you saying this is not really an assault?

If he had run up to a random woman and pulled her skirt down would you think the sentence was outrageous?

Perhaps 2 years is a long time for this particular assault, but i think its more a case that sentences are too short for other random assults.

HOLA4413

If he had run up to a random woman and pulled her skirt down would you think the sentence was outrageous?

Perhaps 2 years is a long time for this particular assault, but i think its more a case that sentences are too short for other random assults.

If we chopped off one of his hands as a warning to others perhaps that would be better?

HOLA4414

What exactly is the difference between this and a drunken bird pulling up a guy's kilt on a night out on Glasgow ? Happens hundreds of times every weekedn up here in Jockland.

If you dont know the difference then there's not much hope for you. I think you know the difference though.

One genuinely is a laugh while the other is most definately an assault.

Also up here in Jockland btw.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-10737347

Just how exactly does this happen ?! Do the Judges/CPS/Police/Government not get together and discuss this ?

I know they have certain sentences and they can vary and all. However things like this just make a mockery of it all.

HOLA4417

No I do not class it as an assault. Read my post above. Women pull up mens skirts in Jockland every day of the week left right and centre. For a laugh. However most of the time the bloke is unaware of this. Do most men mind ? No ? Do some men mind a street full of strangers seeing their todger ? Certainly. Do any of these women go to jail for 2 years for assault - in fact technically probably sexual assualt ? No.

Would I want this to be classed as assault ? No. Let's try and balance things.

Pulling a bit of cloth off someone's face is not assault. If you think that you must live some sheltered life. It isnot very pleasant I agree. However calling something like this assualt just makes the courts in this country look like idiots.

Affray, breach of the peace. Fair enough for this bloke. Assault is a piss take and based on nothing more than what the woman's religion is. What has that got to do with the Law ? Do we start sentencing things differently due to what religion is involved ? Because that is EXACTLY what has happened here. And it is not even denied.

HOLA4418

No I do not class it as an assault. Read my post above. Women pull up mens skirts in Jockland every day of the week left right and centre. For a laugh. However most of the time the bloke is unaware of this. Do most men mind ? No ? Do some men mind a street full of strangers seeing their todger ? Certainly. Do any of these women go to jail for 2 years for assault - in fact technically probably sexual assualt ? No.

Would I want this to be classed as assault ? No. Let's try and balance things.

Pulling a bit of cloth off someone's face is not assault. If you think that you must live some sheltered life. It isnot very pleasant I agree. However calling something like this assualt just makes the courts in this country look like idiots.

Affray, breach of the peace. Fair enough for this bloke. Assault is a piss take and based on nothing more than what the woman's religion is. What has that got to do with the Law ? Do we start sentencing things differently due to what religion is involved ? Because that is EXACTLY what has happened here. And it is not even denied.

In this country the difference between assault and non assault is whether the "victim" wanted it to happen or not. Men wearing kilts do so because they want attention. Women wear veils because they dont want attention. these items of clothing are sending out exactly the opposite signals. If you wear a kilt out on a friday or saturday night clubbing then you are asking for the above reaction from drunken women.

Btw women can "do stuff" to men that is not classed as assault but not the other way round.

HOLA4419

In this country the difference between assault and non assault is whether the "victim" wanted it to happen or not. Men wearing kilts do so because they want attention. Women wear veils because they dont want attention. these items of clothing are sending out exactly the opposite signals. If you wear a kilt out on a friday or saturday night clubbing then you are asking for the above reaction from drunken women.

Btw women can "do stuff" to men that is not classed as assault but not the other way round.

Ok, what if I wear a hat 'cause I have a bald head and don't want people seeing it. If that hats get pulled off by someone, do they get put away for two years? No, of course they don't, and I would be utterly stunned if anything happened to them.

If this chap has been put away for this offence only, then we have some major issues in this country.

HOLA4420

Wee bit more info here.

Daily Record

Seems he was wrecked and cant remember. Not that makes it ok or anything but FFS he didn't exactly push her under a bus or something. No mention of him shouting anything racist either. So seems he walked past her, pulled it of - chucked it to the ground then wandered off. Not very pleasant but not exactly the end of the World - is it ? Also seems she can't go out anymore due to this ?! blink.gif

She comes from Saudi Arabia. I am sure she is used to actions far more brutal than this.

It is clear the kilt pulling up is far more 'offensive'. However would you get 2 years for that ? In fact has anyone ever been arrested for this ? Even though it happens in the middle of the street - very often in full view of the coppers ?

People in Glasgow generally don't wear kilts.

HOLA4421
Guest Skinty

2 years? Yes.

HOLA4422

I do wonder what the reaction would be on here to a young devout christian lady having her crucifix and maybe her top ripped off her body by a young muslim guy who had a string of anti christian assaults.

Would there be a similar amount of outrage?

Agree this sentence is wholly disproportionate tho.

HOLA4423
Guest X-QUORK

I do wonder what the reaction would be on here to a young devout christian lady having her crucifix and maybe her top ripped off her body by a young muslim guy who had a string of anti christian assaults.

A woman having her top ripped off is not comparable to a veil being removed.

HOLA4424
Guest Skinty
Men wearing kilts do so because they want attention

Or more likely because they are proud of their nationality.

. Women wear veils because they dont want attention. these items of clothing are sending out exactly the opposite signals.

Actually I have never believed that women wear the full veil for modesty. In Saudi Arabia then yes perhaps because that is the norm. How can making yourself stand out and be the focus of attention be modest? If they were being modest they'd dress the same way as everyone but in less sexual manner so attention wouldn't fall on them. They could wear the hijab for example if modesty really mattered to them.

What they are trying to do is to make a religious and political statement and to shape the social environment so other women can wear those kind of clothes without standing out.

That's why I support the French ban on the veil for example. Because it's an attack on their culture and they are protecting it. This assault is a similar reaction, albeit an unpleasant vigilante one. (I do not condone vigilante actions)

This sentence of 2 years is sending out the message that our culture is there for the taking.

HOLA4425

Archived