House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Olympics 2012

I keep hearing of the myriad benefits we will obtain from the Olympics after they have been and gone. Much of the chatter seems to be about the beneficial effect on our youth.

Are they all going to become athletes, or what?

Guest Noodle

I keep hearing of the myriad benefits we will obtain from the Olympics after they have been and gone. Much of the chatter seems to be about the beneficial effect on our youth.

Ken said it was to clean up a dirty site in London.

Wish we'd had a bit more notice.

Another 'Dome' I'm afraid, although perhaps with a few flats.

Guest theboltonfury

One lucky premier league club will get itself a new stadium.

The rest will probably become conference centres.

Our local co-op has the spirit of big "sporting" events spot-on. They offered a world cup special: buy a six-pack of selected lagers, and get a free pizza with it!

I expect the Olympics legacy to be a bulge in the profits of brewers and pizza joints.

Guest theboltonfury

Sometimes the misery of others on this site beggars belief.

You'll have to forgive me for not getting excited about spending this amount of money on a 2 week sportathon. The country will not recoup its investment. Infact, many cities that have hosted it have been subsequently financially crippled. I'm sure you'll agree that in these tough times what we really don't need as a matter of priority is a bigger pool, a rifle range and a new gymanastics centre, to name but a few.

We could and should be spending this money on something much more useful.

Guest X-QUORK

I don't want to be in the position of defending the Olympics, the IOC is a well known hotbed of corruption IMO. However, we are where we are, and cancelling the 2012 Olympics just isn't a realistic proposal. We have two years to go and we seem to be ahead of schedule, so let's not slag ourselves off too much, however British that may be.

Guest theboltonfury

I don't want to be in the position of defending the Olympics, the IOC is a well known hotbed of corruption IMO. However, we are where we are, and cancelling the 2012 Olympics just isn't a realistic proposal. We have two years to go and we seem to be ahead of schedule, so let's not slag ourselves off too much, however British that may be.

I'm sure it will be quite good.

Just a complete waste of money.

However, I hope we win some medals.

I fail to see why any public body should be committing money to the Olympics. It's a private event - no different from a football or cricket match. If the sponsors such as Coco-cola, Gillette, Mars, etc, can't be pursuaded to pay for it then it's too big and expensive.

Yeah, but that part of London was a right shithole so you can't say it's not an improvement.

Probably would have cost the best part of £5 billion to redevelop it anyway so for a few billion more you get the Olympics as well. To be fair, we can afford it, unlike other recent countries, and it seems to be proceeding on time fairly well.

I was annoyed it wasn't elsewhere in the UK, but to be honest now it's getting closer it does seem more real and will be a pretty amazing spectacle. Might be worth volunteering if you're around the area (or even not - it's only a couple of weeks away from home). Plenty of students will be doing that, I'm sure.

One lucky premier league club will get itself a new stadium.

The rest will probably become conference centres.

There are rumblings that West Ham will go as as tenants...there was even talk of Leyton Orient going in at one point. If this doesn't pan out, then I believe the plan is to downsize it to a 25,000 all seater..

As an aside (but semi-related), for the 2018 WC bid, Plymouth were successfull in their bid to potentially host a WC game. However, they plan to build a 46,000 seater (!) ground. Totally unsistainable..and IMHO, downright ludicrous..

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/NEW-163-50M-Home-Park/article-1601816-detail/article.html

Yeah, but that part of London was a right shithole so you can't say it's not an improvement.

Probably would have cost the best part of £5 billion to redevelop it anyway so for a few billion more you get the Olympics as well. To be fair, we can afford it, unlike other recent countries, and it seems to be proceeding on time fairly well.

I was annoyed it wasn't elsewhere in the UK, but to be honest now it's getting closer it does seem more real and will be a pretty amazing spectacle. Might be worth volunteering if you're around the area (or even not - it's only a couple of weeks away from home). Plenty of students will be doing that, I'm sure.

But spare billions aren't exactly growing on trees at the moment. Okay, it redevelops the land but redevelops it into what? If someone hasn't developed it up to now then it's probably because it's not viable - you can't just redevelop a piece of land, you have to have someone willing to pay to use it afterwards or you're just wasting your billions.

90% of people who visited the Millennium Dome in 2000 said it was a 'very good' or 'excellent' experience. I was one of them and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Dome project cleaned up one of the most contaminated parts of London and is now one of the Capital's leading arenas. As usual all the most vocal detractors of the Dome have never actually visited it. The same is/will be true of the Olympics. If you visit the general area you will see a long-neglected wasteland being transformed. The fact that a sizeable chunk of the cost of this will be underwritten by a two-week sporting event is something we should be celebrating. As well as allowing the UK (ie the whole country) to project a positive image on the world stage we can also hope that the success of our elite athletes will inspire the younger generation to get involved in sport too. Personally I can't wait. It will be fantastic and it will be a great investment in the future of London and the country as a whole. I'm thinking I might even volunteer to help with the event in whatever way I can.

Legacy - an increased deficit for starters

oh yeah and to encourage deprived, inner city kids to take up clay pigeon shooting, fencing and equestrian events - innit mate?

What a total load of fvcking cods

Some kids play sport because they want to, some don't want to - simple as. As a kid I tried all kinds of sport and chose ones I had a chance at being competitive in - I didn't need a 12 billion white elephant to push me in the right direction.

If they really wanted to improve the nation's fitness they could have spent a fraction of that amount on grass roots sporting provision - basic equipment and coaching but there's no gravy train in that

I intend to take my 2 week summer holiday out of London for the duration