House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

I Wished I'd Never Had The Gastric Band Fitted Because I Can't Eat Junk Food As Quick

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3069973/Britains-fattest-woman-said-gastric-band-stopped-gorging.html

"But now I'm even more miserable because I'm struggling to eat food like chocolate and takeaways.

"If I'd listened to doctors and taken the diet route instead of surgery, at least I could've had the odd piece of chocolate or cake.

Britain's fattest woman dies of heart attack after junk food binge in hospital bed

Should they have just left her to get on with it and let her eat herself to death rather than trying to stop it?

Clearly she wasn't going to stop, the food was a drug to her.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3069973/Britains-fattest-woman-said-gastric-band-stopped-gorging.html

Britain's fattest woman dies of heart attack after junk food binge in hospital bed

Should they have just left her to get on with it and let her eat herself to death rather than trying to stop it?

Clearly she wasn't going to stop, the food was a drug to her.

I can't believe the way she had relatives bringing junk food into the hospital.. mind you, whenever you see these hyper-obese cases, there is always some relative enabling them by feeding them whatever they want; there is a limit to how fat you can get and still get to the fridge, or door for pizza delivery. I really don't get that..

OTOH, the NHS is there for illness, and that includes psychological illness. Eating disorders have a serious mortality rate - you are better off having a child diagnosed with Hogkin's lymphoma than severe anorexia as far as survival goes.

Could someone tell me what I'm meant to feel about this story?

I mean I actually feel disgusted by her (and her family). Physically repulsed. But I acknowledge that presumably this is the wrong feeling to have - heartless and unsympathetic as it is. So please, forum let me know how to feel about this so I can grow as a compassionate human being.

Oh and it's worth pointing out that if she choose to fly anywhere, she'd only have to buy the one economy ticket, with her 18kg baggage allowance and one carry on bag.

<runs away>

Mrs Mevsimler said earlier this month: 'I have been left to die. If I was anorexic I would get proper help but no one has sympathy for obese people.'

... :rolleyes:

Given she got a £30k operation to try and help her I am not too impressed by this.

Could someone tell me what I'm meant to feel about this story?

I mean I actually feel disgusted by her (and her family). Physically repulsed. But I acknowledge that presumably this is the wrong feeling to have - heartless and unsympathetic as it is. So please, forum let me know how to feel about this so I can grow as a compassionate human being.

She had a mental illness causing her to self harm. Something that can be treated.

Unfortunately, her family, instead of helping her to get better, decided to enable her to eat as much as she liked even in hospital, which is the genuine scandal.

She had a mental illness causing her to self harm. Something that can be treated.

Unfortunately, her family, instead of helping her to get better, decided to enable her to eat as much as she liked even in hospital, which is the genuine scandal.

Amazing that they haven't been charged with something.

If the husband had beat her he'd be up on charges, bring her family sized chicken meals and nothing happens.

She had a mental illness causing her to self harm.

Really? Are you sure she just didn't really really like pies?

Why does everything have to be a mental illness nowadays? How fat do you have to be before it becomes mental? What about Johnny 5 bellies who's overweight because he drinks too much beer and fatty foods? Is he mental?

Or is it because we're not allowed to blame anyone anymore?

Why does everything have to be a mental illness nowadays? How fat do you have to be before it becomes mental? What about Johnny 5 bellies who's overweight because he drinks too much beer and fatty foods? Is he mental?

Exactly. However you will hear very few people saying this. Not acceptable.

I love food. I love pies. I cannot explain how much I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE food.

Do I have a mental illness too ? Can I get some sort of sympathy as well ? Or is it only those who love food AND who are also lazy that quality for this sympathy. rolleyes.gif

I was blaming the people who brought her food in hospital. Like bringing alcohol into a rehab center.

As with all things, there is a scale of behavior between 'liking pies too much' and 'continuing to eat obsessively even when you are unable to walk and have been admitted to hospital due to your weight'.

But perhaps we should refuse medical treatment for anyone with a 'self inflicted' condition.

Guest X-QUORK

But perhaps we should refuse medical treatment for anyone with a 'self inflicted' condition.

I'm sure there aren't any smokers slagging off overweight people for being a drain on the NHS, nobody's capable of that level of hypocrisy.

I was blaming the people who brought her food in hospital. Like bringing alcohol into a rehab center.

As with all things, there is a scale of behavior between 'liking pies too much' and 'continuing to eat obsessively even when you are unable to walk and have been admitted to hospital due to your weight'.

So where does it stop ?

People who fail to stop smoking when they know it will probably kill them ? Check

People who fail to stop drinking when they know it will probably kill them ? Check

People who fail to stop taking certain amounts of certain drugs when they know it will probably kill them ? Check

People who fail to generally keep healthy and fit when they know it will probably help to not kill them ? Check

All these people have mental illnesses do they ?

Excuses excuses excuses excuses.....

Yes some will have mental illnesses. However most just decide on a way of living that may lead to their death. Exactly where is any sympathy expected to come from ? I wouldn't expect or want any.

I'm sure there aren't any smokers slagging off overweight people for being a drain on the NHS, nobody's capable of that level of hypocrisy.

Bearfaced-Chic didn't mention refusing medical treatment.

It is about caring or sympathy for these people. If someone wants to smoke or eat themselves to an early grave ? Entirely up to them. Their life - their body.

Just don't expect me to feel sorry for them or to give a flying ******. However that is exactly what we are expected to do by many.

and this is one of the reasons to get rid of the NHS and make everyone go private,

i smoke too much, i drink too much, i eat the wrong types fo food too often and i dont exercise enough, i spend far too long sat behind a desk working, i'll probably have a heart attack by the time i'm 50 BUT i pay for private health care, as well as NI.

and this is one of the reasons to get rid of the NHS and make everyone go private,

i smoke too much, i drink too much, i eat the wrong types fo food too often and i dont exercise enough, i spend far too long sat behind a desk working, i'll probably have a heart attack by the time i'm 50 BUT i pay for private health care, as well as NI.

Greatest respects. You are one of a small number who are happy to be truthful about their situation. I just wish everyone was.

Greatest respects. You are one of a small number who are happy to be truthful about their situation. I just wish everyone was.

how can you not be with out looking stupid?

its one of the lies that really confuses me, i can understand how/why people neglect their health, i do, i'm 16st 6'2" 30 year old male, i am over weight, i can see that with out knowing my actualy weight (i dont actually know my ideal weight, so i dont know how much over i am), i have wobbly bits i shouldnt have, but its the people who are obease, who deny it. and they wont do anything about it.

i know lots of people over weight, and their shit excuses for their "condition"

al Murry got it right, with Fat bob saying "dont call him fat, its not ice, its not his fault, he has a very slow metabilism.........................................and a very fast pie arm"

its YOUR health, its not like a car, where if you dont change the oil it'll cease up, no worries, just buy a new car, you cant really go out and buy a new body, but then EXPECT other people to pay.

hold on, if i neglect my car I HAVE to pay, the tax payer wont pay for it,

and this this is the grey area. where do you draw the line for self abuse/harm/neglect?

you cant, as 99% of the people to walk in to a Doctors/Hosiptal etc could be construded as self inflicted.

sporting injury? self inflicted, i dont get sporting injury's as i dont play sport by choice

so get rid of the NHS, it will save a huge drain on our public finances,

It's the last freak show!

The limbless and demented are not allowed to be circus exhibits any more! :huh:

Yes, because in the US everyone is skinny and fit due to the private health care system.

Yes, because in the US everyone is skinny and fit due to the private health care system.

i think you missed my point, its to stop people getting £30k operations for this sort of thing paid by the tax payer, when there are plenty of people who could have got other treatments, and then for then for this person to have unhealthly food smuggled in to the hospital.

the person wasnt genuinely 100% behind this operation, as they and their family as shown no comtempt for her health/life

you will never get rid of people being over weight, and it has no correlation with the health service of the country

She was beyond help , that much was obvious.

Should have been killed via injection to save taxpayers some coin , that money spent on her is now down the tubes.

She was beyond help , that much was obvious.

Should have been killed via injection to save taxpayers some coin , that money spent on her is now down the tubes.

Much like George Best's liver transplant - other people could have had a long and happy life after such an op, but were refused the opportunity. Gross misallocation of resources.

She had a mental illness causing her to self harm. Something that can be treated.Unfortunately, her family, instead of helping her to get better, decided to enable her to eat as much as she liked even in hospital, which is the genuine scandal.

Maybe. On the other hand I have a friend with a disabled son. The NHS cannot 'afford' to pay for the special inserts (£100) for his shoes to enable him to walk.

Should Jabba the Hutt be prioritised over his needs with 50K plus of treatment whilst she gobbles family feast KFC's?

Maybe. On the other hand I have a friend with a disabled son. The NHS cannot 'afford' to pay for the special inserts (£100) for his shoes to enable him to walk.

Should Jabba the Hutt be prioritised over his needs with 50K plus of treatment whilst she gobbles family feast KFC's?

Emotive but justified IMO.

How does one define what is unacceptable human weakness and what is a mental illness?

I have the human weakness of being a lazy git(mentally not physically). Is this a mental illness?

If someone kicks my a4se and I think they're right(mostly the case), I'm not lazy for a while.

On that basis we just need to deny the fatties their food somehow.

Temporary labour camps with strict diets?

I bet not many would get fat again. :lol:

Edit following post below.

Temporary labour camps with strict diets in Ethiopia, helping distribute food to the starving(as soon as they're able to walk, that is).

Mental illness my a*se.

I'm sick of hearing grossly fat people saying 'It's an illness'. It's the way they try to convince themselves and everybody else that it's not their fault and there's nothing they can do about it.

It's an insult to people with real illnesses like MS or cancer, who'd give anything and do anything for a cure.

There is a very cheap, guaranteed cure for obesity - you've only got to look at any dirt poor 3rd world area where food is hard to come by.

Maybe the NHS should set up a few Fat Camps in Ethiopia - that'd sort the blubber mountains out.