House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pauly_Boy

Cameron Wants Turkey To Join The Eu

I think this is a going to be a major issue in the next few years and I'm really in two minds.

Pro's

- It'll bring is closer to the islamic world

- It's governed in a secular manner

- they have nice beaches

- Have been in Nato for ages

- Young population who could come and work in countries with an aging population

- Could stop any wars between them and Greece (they still keep on trying 'funny' stuff with the Greeks)

Cons

- Are they actually in Europe, who next, Morocco?

- A new country with a population of 75m will put a massive strain on the EU

- Turkey's refusal to recognise EU member Cyprus

- Growing support for pro-Islamic parties on the mainland

- The treatment of the Kurdish minority in the country and general human rights issues

- Possible flood of migrates coming into an already over crowded europe

- They're 'different' to the rest of us, which could change the culture of europe

- Like Romaina, it could be a weak link and allow lots of 'other' people in to, once they have a Turkish passport, they have free access to the whole EU.

Cameron would do well to concentrate on fixing the UK rather than considering the welfare of the Turkish at this stage.

I think we should let them join. Germany has seen the benefits of high levels of Turkish immigration and the 'Turkish Enclaves' in Germany are regarded at an aspirational place to live for all Germans.

Fantastic people and a fantastic ancient culture. Great work ethic.......put our chavs to shame. I would welcome them with open arms.

I used to work in Turkey.... (illegally)

I would rather seev a wider EU than a federal EU.

I would like to see Turkey join the EU.

We live in Cyprus the northern part, TRNC. ( Turkish republic of northern cyprus).

It is clear to us that unless Turkey leaves this part of the island they will never get into the EU.

Turkey has put pressure on the goverment here to settle this one way or the other before the end of this year.

Here we have two choices 1) do a deal with the ROC. 2) become a Turkish state.

For us we came here to live in Cyprus and if number 2 is the case we will be leaving.

Most of the true Cypriots would rather live with their fellow Cypriots than be part of Turkey. But Turkey has flooded this place in the last few years with lots of poor Turks and the genuine Turkish Cypriot people are not happy, but may now be out numbered in a voting situation.

Are they going to leave?

Since the Annan plan 2004, when the Turkish Cypriots vote to join back with the Greek Cypriots side.(the republic of cyprus) but the Greek cypriots gave a no vote to this plan. The Turkish army have upgraded all their army/military bases here, so i don't feel we are going to see the back of them just yet.

The other point is that Turkey is always doing deals with Iran, and that can only be bad news.

Turkey has many faces and is very good at playing games, and playing off both sides. It also has very bad human rights issues.

Turkey have also stopped us here using youtube, so i guess they have a long road ahead before they join, but none the less if they can get all the needed chapters in place then i feel it would be good for the EU.

From an investment point of view if Turkey leaves Cyprus and go towards the EU, our part of the island will rejoin the EU via the ROC, hence property prices will come into line with the south. This is only good news for us.

For those who purchased the so called exchange land this could be a problem but if you have the pre 74 Turkish title you will be quids in. B)

Cameron would do well to concentrate on fixing the UK rather than considering the welfare of the Turkish at this stage.

+100

Plenty of cheap labour to help the UK build a sustainable economic recovery......................

Cameroon is a first class upper class pillock.

I would like to see Turkey join the EU.

We live in Cyprus the northern part, TRNC. ( Turkish republic of northern cyprus).

It is clear to us that unless Turkey leaves this part of the island they will never get into the EU.

Turkey has put pressure on the goverment here to settle this one way or the other before the end of this year.

Here we have two choices 1) do a deal with the ROC. 2) become a Turkish state.

For us we came here to live in Cyprus and if number 2 is the case we will be leaving...

So, you want the British PM to support Turkey joining the EU because it's good for Cyprus?

Remind me why Britain should support this, what we get out of it and how much we are going to end up paying for it?!

Let turkey join Europe, but we leave at the same time/introduce border additional border restrictions for European nationals ;p

I think this is a going to be a major issue in the next few years and I'm really in two minds.

I suspect the social implications are secondary.. ultimately it's not Camerons decision and the French and Germans are opposed to it anyway.

Cameron is visiting Turkey and then India with the CEO of Barclays, the CEO of Vodaphone and representatives from another 20 companies.

The noises about us wanting to be bossom buddies is simply political posturing. We want trade deals with them.. and fair play to Cameron for getting stuck into it.

I suspect the social implications are secondary.. ultimately it's not Camerons decision and the French and Germans are opposed to it anyway.

Cameron is visiting Turkey and then India with the CEO of Barclays, the CEO of Vodaphone and representatives from another 20 companies.

The noises about us wanting to be bossom buddies is simply political posturing. We want trade deals with them.. and fair play to Cameron for getting stuck into it.

Bossom? Neither one nor the other as someone once remarked.

p-o-p

Pro's

- It'll bring is closer to the islamic world

- It's governed in a secular manner

- they have nice beaches

- Have been in Nato for ages

- Young population who could come and work in countries with an aging population

- Could stop any wars between them and Greece (they still keep on trying 'funny' stuff with the Greeks)

Cons

- Are they actually in Europe, who next, Morocco?

- A new country with a population of 75m will put a massive strain on the EU

- Turkey's refusal to recognise EU member Cyprus

- Growing support for pro-Islamic parties on the mainland

- The treatment of the Kurdish minority in the country and general human rights issues

- Possible flood of migrates coming into an already over crowded europe

- They're 'different' to the rest of us, which could change the culture of europe

- Like Romaina, it could be a weak link and allow lots of 'other' people in to, once they have a Turkish passport, they have free access to the whole EU.

The Northern part of Turkey is in Europe, the Southern part is in Asia. Istanbul itself spans both continents.

it probably has more to do with the shape of the world after 2030

with china and india and most of the remaining countries in the world adopting varying levels of free trade and capitalism everyone will be relatively wealthy. that leaves only one major way to be the most powerful and hence ensure your values are the worlds values and that is via population.

for the EU to be a reasonable power come 2030 onwards it needs a bigger population. the only realistic way to do that is to incorporate turkeys 80-90m.

as for fears of turkey flooding Europe it is probably well over exaggerated. turkey is a "poor" country relative to the UK but the quality of life is imo higher than the UK. sure you get paid 5x less but things cost a lot less too. wages are going up circa 10-15% pa and will likely not be much different from uk/france/germany within 15-20 years. if they were let in today you could see 10m flood europe. if they are let in come 2030 you will likely see very few relocate to other countries.

as for Islam, cultural differences, yada yada, just watch an hour of a typical turkish TV channel to see what they are like.