House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

Does Anyone Know How To Fix A Broken Body Clock?

This isn't for everyone but it works..... if you've landed home from a trip abroad, and to your body it's 2300, but in real life it's 0800, force yourself to stay awake, no catnaps, no dozes, nothing.If necessary, use alcohol to ensure that you're ready for hitting the sack at 22 or 2300 local time! You should then wake up at about 0700 (ish) having had enough sleep and with your clock almost re-set!If you're teetotal, then I haven't got a clue....... :lol:

I work night shifts and am fortunate enough to posess the ability to close my eyes and sleep!

Setting an alarm and forcing yourself out of bed at a normalish time is your best bet tbh!

Get a dog and make its morning walk/toilet time the time you want to normally get up. Both the dog yelping and whining and the thought of mopping up dog widdle from the carpet will prise even the deepest sleeper from their slumber.

I hate you. I'm not someone who can just sleep - I consider it a good night if I get to sleep within an hour of going to bed. Alarms only get me up if I have something to get up for. If an alarm goes off and I have no good reason to get up then I'll switch it off again. Having an alarm set also stops me being able to sleep.

10 minutes here :)

Rgds the alarm, you need some will power ;)

Since it's not urgent to re-sync and since you have trouble getting to sleep anyway, why not advance your body clock by a couple of hours extra each day, by staying up? The fact that you're approx 12 hours out of phase is actually a good thing, you can choose the direction of your adjustment to suit you, rather than trying to minimise the number of hours you're adjusting :)

Wake up tomorrow at 3pm, get pissed and then goto bed when you get home and get up at 10. U'll then be able to goto bed the following evening at a normal time :)

I've tried to adjust my boy clock many times but I don't think there's a strategy. I just can't feel compos mentis enough for the 9am working day and pretty much crave sleep most of the day. For a brief period I had a part-time job and freelanced during the rest of the time and had regular lie-ins throughout the week - I'd never felt so superhuman, and had really productive work sessions at 10pm.

Easy. Have done this a few times following long trips, the reset takes 1 day.

The staying awake part mentioned by others is the first bit.

Expose yourself to as much sunshine as possible, check the web for precise timings of this, there is a science to it. You can use the fake sunshine lights in the absence of sunshine as is common in the UK. (I happen to have one)

About mid-afternoon force yourself to do some hard and unaccustomed exercise, the best is probably swimming in cool to cold water, swim about half as far again as you think you can manage, ie make yourself very physically tired to the point of aching. Afterwards eat a light meal, take a strong paracetamol for the aches and go to bed at about 8pm in a dark room with no phones or anything that can wake you. Set an alarm for 7am. Job done.

The hardest bit is the 2-3 hours before the exercise, after that it's easy.

Drinking doesn't work by the way, you just wake up when it has worn off.

As the above. Stay awake and then a couple of hourse before you want to sleep - do soem hard intense exercise. You will not have a problem sleeping.

My word is there nothing exercise cannot cure !! biggrin.gif

Easy. Have done this a few times following long trips, the reset takes 1 day.

The staying awake part mentioned by others is the first bit.

Expose yourself to as much sunshine as possible, check the web for precise timings of this, there is a science to it. You can use the fake sunshine lights in the absence of sunshine as is common in the UK. (I happen to have one)

About mid-afternoon force yourself to do some hard and unaccustomed exercise, the best is probably swimming in cool to cold water, swim about half as far again as you think you can manage, ie make yourself very physically tired to the point of aching. Afterwards eat a light meal, take a strong paracetamol for the aches and go to bed at about 8pm in a dark room with no phones or anything that can wake you. Set an alarm for 7am. Job done.

The hardest bit is the 2-3 hours before the exercise, after that it's easy.

Drinking doesn't work by the way, you just wake up when it has worn off.

+1. Daylight is the key - it resets the body clock. Top tip is to go for a long walk in the sun, and sleep with the curtains open, so your body can adjust to the local time.

I think I may have another bash at just stay up until a sensible time to go to bed. So my next question to the forum is: how does one keep themselves busy while sleep deprived for 12 hours?

Read the Gold thread.

Nice idea, but I'm looking for something more short term.

An older dog? :blink:

I work at a university and a lot of the PHd students do not have any routine, come and go whenever, work from home etc. Could a lack of routine be stopping your broken body clock ????

I hate you. I'm not someone who can just sleep - I consider it a good night if I get to sleep within an hour of going to bed. Alarms only get me up if I have something to get up for. If an alarm goes off and I have no good reason to get up then I'll switch it off again. Having an alarm set also stops me being able to sleep.

Have kids, that'll sort it out.

You'll soon learn to sleep at any given opportunity. You'll never have the problem of not getting up in the morning 'cause you'll have no choice. Rest will become a dim and distant dream and those lazy hazy days in Ibiza with Julio will keep you going when you've got a 15 stone snoring lump next to you.

Might seem a bit rash but needs must.

Guest X-QUORK

Does Anyone Know How To Fix A Broken Body Clock?

You could try squirting a bit of 3 In 1 onto the hands!

I'm here all week, weddings, bar mitzvahs and hen nights catered for.

Guest Skinty

Go hiking and wild camping. The physical exercise will tire you out and you'll become accustomed to going to bed when it gets dark and waking up when it gets light.

Melatonin is what I use. It's illegal (except by script for some conditions) in the UK but is easily bought over the internet

If you have been ill (was it a virus?) that could be causing the problem. Do you have any other symptoms left as well?

I hav heard that Selenium can help to reset the body clock to a circadian rhythm. Selenium is in peanuts, you can also get it as a supplement... I think. That and lots of sex, usually does the trick for me..... ( but I am a man).

So you think I should just aim to get up at 9pm today. 11pm Wednesday etc? I was hoping for a quicker solution since I'm completely unproductive at night time.

Well you can do it in one hit, but you'll feel pretty spacy. It depends whether you have the will-power to stay awake. Maybe go somewhere far from home by public transport that involves several changes, so going to sleep isn't an option :)

Guest X-QUORK

Vape some indica heavy weed just before bedtime. Goodnight Vienna.

Melatonin is what I use. It's illegal (except by script for some conditions) in the UK but is easily bought over the internet

I've used melatonin too, but I find it only works for relatively minor adjustments, if I used it to shift from going to bed at 4AM to going to bed at 1AM, I'd just wake up at 3AM and be even worse off than before.

Luckily for me I can keep my own schedule, and am most productive from early evening up until the small hours. The only fly in the ointment is morning parcel deliveries.

Are you offering?

if your quick...otherwise your going to have to wait until tomorrow

Bootnote, apparently 'hows your farther' became a popular phrase, because its what you said to a girl in Victorian times to find out if she was being chaperoned... 'So.... How is your father'?