House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

How To Work Out How Many Houses Are Currently Selling (Sstc) In Your Area.

As discussed on 'welcome to the fear phase' thread.

Do a rightmove search for your area, properties added in last 2 weeks (or whatever period you want) not including SSTC write down the number, then tick the SSTC box and search again. Take the old number from the new number and your left with the number of houses that went SSTC during that time period.

I got 14 sold for the whole of Essex during the last few days.

Feel free to point out any faults in the way of working but it seems to work.

Although on SSTC and not completed sales it will be interesting to keep an eye on sales levels.

two houses sold in the last three days in the whole of cheshire... :lol::lol:

my area of it,,1 sold in the last 14 days

Edited by geoffk

Not so good in Cornwall. :( about 10% went SSC.

Cornwall last 14 days    *   Houses (1000+)   * Detached houses (600)   * Semi-detached houses (258)   * Terraced houses (322)   * Mobile / Park Homes (11)   * Flats / Apartments (159)   * Bungalows (250)   * Land (30)   * Commercial Property (21)   * Other (2)Cornwall Last 14 Days + (SSC)   *   Houses (1000+)   * Detached houses (634) - (600)      = 34 SSC   * Semi-detached houses (270) - (258) = 12 SSC   * Terraced houses (349) - (322)      = 27 SSC   * Mobile / Park Homes (12) - (11)    = 1  SSC   * Flats / Apartments (167) - (159)   = 8  SSC   * Bungalows (273) - (250)            = 23 SSC   * Land (30) - (30)                   = 0  SSC   * Commercial Property (21) - (21)    = 0  SSC   * Other (3) - (2)                    = 1  SSC

Do a rightmove search for your area, properties added in last 2 weeks (or whatever period you want) not including SSTC write down the number, then tick the SSTC box and search again. Take the old number from the new number and your left with the number of houses that went SSTC during that time period.

Although on SSTC and not completed sales it will be interesting to keep an eye on sales levels.

Doesn't always work

At least one EA in my target area removes a listing as soon as it is SSTC

No idea why

tim

I just tried it for south essex grays and just did flats , by that reckoning just 1 sale.

Then i did Docklands London as i used to live there three bed flat's zero, two beds 2.

While on right move I had a peak about at Docklands as I would have laid big money on Docklands taking a massive bath over the last few years and from taking this look im left dumbfounded.

In January 09 I had a friend with a nice big three bed flat there in a good development that needed to be sold in a hurry. He got two agent's in one valued it at £475k the other £525k, he went with the higher valuation and then a few weeks later panicked and told the agent just get it sold , give me the offers , he got two offers over night ,

1. Cash offer £400 k

2. People needing a mortgage £408 k

He accepted the cash offer , who then pulled out on the same day the £408 offer was upped to £420k , took that and it went through very quickly.

In his block tonight there is another 3 bed flat for sale , smaller than his but with a slightly better aspect , so one cancels out the other it is on with the agent who valued his flat for £475k just over 18 months ago. The price of this falt today £745k, IM DUMBFOUNDED. Has the housing market gone mad.

I don't think this is correct - what I think your calculation is telling you is -

without the SSTC box ticked - how many properties were added in the last 2 weeks

with the SSTC box ticked - how many of the properties added in the last 2 weeks have gone SSTC

which we would expect to be pretty small proportion

example search

1st property went SSTC on 22nd Jul 2010 - if you change Added to 14 days then this sold proprty is not counted

Edited by Tattoo'd Lady

without the SSTC box ticked - how many properties were added in the last 2 weeks

with the SSTC box ticked - how many of the properties added in the last 2 weeks have gone SSTC

Yeah, I agree with this, not a great way of doing it.

I don't think this is correct - what I think your calculation is telling you is -

example search

1st property went SSTC on 22nd Jul 2010 - if you change Added to 14 days then this sold proprty is not counted

I thought this to begin with but I found several properties in my search that were added several months previous and sold in the last two weeks.

I believe I have confirmed it:

This is a search of Essex last 14 days including SSTC.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/Essex.html?sortByPriceDescending=false&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&index=120

Second listing from the bottom is:

26 July 2010

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

20 July 2010

* Price changed: from '£89,950' to '£84,995' [Found by n/a]

05 May 2010

* Initial entry found.

So it Sold in the last 14 days but was added in May.

Also another example on page 7.

Now we know how to find out how many sales (SSTC) are happening in a given area. :)

Check the one on page 7. (it might be on a different page now) no changes in the last two weeks added longer than two weeks ago.

Have a look through searches of your areas to see when the sold ones were originally listed.

Edited by Pent Up

I don't think the two weeks helps -

Doing chadderton

443 properties found incl. sstc

403 properties found

30 showing up as sold for April in houseprices.co.uk

BUT

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/sold_house_prices.htm?location=chadderton&month=04&year=2010

Summary of Properties Sold in Chadderton in April 2010

Total properties sold: 21

Average price of properties sold: £137,133

I thought this to begin with but I found several properties in my search that were added several months previous and sold in the last two weeks.

Check the one on page 7. (it might be on a different page now) no changes in the last two weeks added longer than two weeks ago.

Have a look through searches of your areas to see when the sold ones were originally listed.

Pent Up, I can't find any property STC that didn't have at least some change in the last 14 days. Admittedly I just put a few minutes into it today, but I did the same yesterday, more properly, in my target area, and all had had some recent (<14 days) change. I think that was the reason the numbers were so low, unfortunately, as I would love to have some practical and reliable way to watch my local market. Land Register is too slow. Perhaps there are other ways on the web?

In my area there are 391 total for the last 2 weeks, with 11 sstc.

Are those added the last 2 weeks really newly added, or are they just updated in status? I can see what we're doing but want to be clear of the parameters. :)

Pent Up, I can't find any property STC that didn't have at least some change in the last 14 days. Admittedly I just put a few minutes into it today, but I did the same yesterday, more properly, in my target area, and all had had some recent (<14 days) change. I think that was the reason the numbers were so low, unfortunately, as I would love to have some practical and reliable way to watch my local market. Land Register is too slow. Perhaps there are other ways on the web?

On my search above there was one (I didn't look through them all) I found that was added beginning of July 3 weeks ago. No updates since sold within the last two weeks. I can't paste the bee history as I'm at work. I can't be sure that this wasn't an update that the bee didn't pick up though.

It might be worth looking into more but TBH the more I think about it the more inaccurate it seems for reasons other posters have stated. Agents removing listings, relisting. If it does work it probably won't be any more useful than just an interesting thing to look at now and then.

Did a search with no time parameters in it for properties within 1 mile of my postcode. This gave 592 properties for sale, of which 145 were SSTC (24.5%).

The same search for properties added within the past 14 days gives only 90 properties, of which 5 are SSTC (5.6%). To me this means that 5 of the 90 houses added to rightmove (or with asking price reductions) within the past 14 days have already credible offers. Doesn't seem too bad round my way.

Did a search with no time parameters in it for properties within 1 mile of my postcode. This gave 592 properties for sale, of which 145 were SSTC (24.5%).

The same search for properties added within the past 14 days gives only 90 properties, of which 5 are SSTC (5.6%). To me this means that 5 of the 90 houses added to rightmove (or with asking price reductions) within the past 14 days have already credible offers. Doesn't seem too bad round my way.

When were those 5 listed, or when was the last change made to those 5 properties?

When were those 5 listed, or when was the last change made to those 5 properties?

Don't know, although I do know that the number of properties that have gone SSTC within the past 14 days will not be limited to these 5.

Wow - all this talk of rightmove and I've never tried it! It is amazing!!

Sales dropped a bit in my area - prices not too high but it's ex-council.

Just checked out a fancy part of Livingston where the house prices are on average £550k........... bugger. I think an easlier poster was correct about nice housing estates holding value as they are far from 'normal people' who many would rather stay away from.

Doesn't always work

At least one EA in my target area removes a listing as soon as it is SSTC

No idea why

tim

After an offer's been accepted buyers sometimes ask for the property to be taken off the market as a sign of good faith on the part of the vendor.

Southport+3 miles, 12 gone SSC in last 14 days, as follows:

1 Bungalow

1 Flat

1 Terrace

8 Semi-Detached

1 Detached

oh dear..

How many was there listed in total? Also what dates were the sold ones added or last altered? I can't see that all those have been listed AND sold in the last two weeks?