House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

A Place In The Sun: Home Or Usa?

This has been on around tea time recently

Tonight's was:

A Place in the Sun: Home or USA?

Season 1 Episode 9 of 10

Birmingham v Fort Lauderdale Jonnie Irwin and Jasmine Harman help a couple decide whether to stay in the UK and buy a new home in Birmingham, where they would be near their business, or move to Florida, close to relatives in Fort Lauderdale

The couple were relying on selling her blackpool house to fund the new house purchase. It went to auction and failed to sell.

Interesting as they were seeing two houses in the USA that were "short sales" or forced sales by the banks, and the third the owners were desperate to sell.

Same as the day befores I'd seen where the banks were taking big drops (850 to about 500) on "short sales"

Tonight's was:

Season 1 Episode 9 of 10

Birmingham v Fort Lauderdale Jonnie Irwin and Jasmine Harman help a couple decide whether to stay in the UK and buy a new home in Birmingham, where they would be near their business, or move to Florida, close to relatives in Fort Lauderdale

The couple were relying on selling her blackpool house to fund the new house purchase. It went to auction and failed to sell.

Interesting as they were seeing two houses in the USA that were "short sales" or forced sales by the banks, and the third the owners were desperate to sell.

Same as the day befores I'd seen where the banks were taking big drops (850 to about 500) on "short sales"

Shorts sales in Arizona are far more severe. My cousin-m-Law's house sold recently for $42k, bought for $180k

Did they make the connection at any point that they may soon find themselves in exactly the same position as the US sellers - or is the UK housing market still 'special'?.

Did they make the connection at any point that they may soon find themselves in exactly the same position as the US sellers - or is the UK housing market still 'special'?.

Well they look at UK places too and don't seem to be thinking anything of the high prices.

Tonight's was:

Season 1 Episode 9 of 10

Florida is tightening the immigration stuff though so be careful. A drivers license now needs a Social Security number which you can't get without the appropriate visa. A lot of Brits (and others) are going to be caught out when renweal time comes around. Most drivers licenses (in Florida) are issued for the length of your I 94 only but now you need the dreaded SS # as well. Lots of ex-pats cars for sale methinks. In most other states you can't get a license without a SS# in anycase so Florida is just catching up. Without one you will have to have a rental car which aint cheap in high season.

Shorts sales in Arizona are far more severe. My cousin-m-Law's house sold recently for $42k, bought for $180k

I just missed a great house here in Rhode Island near the water as well. Sold for $100K in 1985 (last time it sold so say $200k now at least) and just went for $40K as a "tax lien". No mortgage, owner died, so you get it for what the property owes the state in taxes plus costs. You have to be careful and get a good lawyer but you can pick up a real bargain like that. I need to go now as my eyes are still watery.