House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Trying To Close Alliance & Leicester Esaver

I am trying to get 10K I have in an A&L esaver account closed - 27 mins on phone so far. They keep refusing to do it by forcing me to make a branch appointment to discuss new accounts.

Asked to speak to a manager - have to go back into the queue. Thankfully, I found the 0845 number on the MSE website as opposed to A&L's 5p per minute number.

At this rate my rubbish interest will go in a call to them.

Lousy IMPO.

I am trying to get 10K I have in an A&L esaver account closed - 27 mins on phone so far. They keep refusing to do it by forcing me to make a branch appointment to discuss new accounts.

Asked to speak to a manager - have to go back into the queue. Thankfully, I found the 0845 number on the MSE website as opposed to A&L's 5p per minute number.

Lousy IMPO.

I called Natwest on Friday and told them I wanted to close my savings account and transfer it into my current account (I want it all in one place to transfer).

"No problem Sir, you just need to send us the request in writing".

"What? I can't do it over the phone"?

"No Sir, you cannot in case you comeback later and say you didn't want the account closing. We need proof you requested this".

"You are kidding? Ok, I'll go into my local branch and do it it person"

"No problem Sir, you you will still need to send in a letter in writing as well, asking us to close your account"

"What, even if I'm stood there in person you are saying I also have to send in a letter as well"

"Yes Sir"

At which point I hung up. It takes a few days for my ING account to become active, so figured I might as well wait until that is sorted before I go into the branch and kick off.

In writing is fair.

You wouldn't want them to close it just cos someone rang up and pretended to be you.

Much better for them if they have a signature and address to verify who you are from.

;-/

or not.

Lousy IMPO.

dont tell them you are closing the account

transfer down to the minimum balance first and then close it

47 minutes.

It is as if they will not let me have my money.

Why can't you move it out on-line?

I 'closed' (took the balance down to £1) an A&L e-saver a while ago and opened a new one that is paying 3% (I think). It was a big daft, had to transfer the money out to my bank account and back into the new account - but I didn't have to talk to anyone.

In writing is fair.

You wouldn't want them to close it just cos someone rang up and pretended to be you.

Much better for them if they have a signature and address to verify who you are from.

;-/

or not.

I'm sure that they would accept a letter signed if you either delivered it in person or if you faxed it. If I'm at work and near the fax machine I sometimes fax things like that to get a quick response.

In writing is fair.

;-/

or not.

Yes security issues may affect this, but companies are now making it extremely difficult for customers to finish with their services. Anyone's tried to leave T-Mobile will be able to tell you the obstacles they will put in your way (emails ignored, telephone calls mysteriously cut off, letters misunderstood). They all believe they'll cut down the churn rate if they make it incredibly difficult to leave.

50 minutes on the phone and the guy I spoke to said that I now have to go into a branch to close the esaver.

Last year they would not talk to me in branches about my esaver.

Don't bother closing it - just transfer the money out to another account and let it rot. Do it in stages if you have to.

Either that or threaten them with the ombudsman

Edited by Shylock

transfer down to the minimum balance first and then close it

Quite. Eventually they'll get bored of managing the nil balance and close it for you.

I called Natwest on Friday and told them I wanted to close my savings account and transfer it into my current account (I want it all in one place to transfer).

"No problem Sir, you just need to send us the request in writing".

"What? I can't do it over the phone"?

"No Sir, you cannot in case you comeback later and say you didn't want the account closing. We need proof you requested this".

"You are kidding? Ok, I'll go into my local branch and do it it person"

"No problem Sir, you you will still need to send in a letter in writing as well, asking us to close your account"

"What, even if I'm stood there in person you are saying I also have to send in a letter as well"

"Yes Sir"

At which point I hung up. It takes a few days for my ING account to become active, so figured I might as well wait until that is sorted before I go into the branch and kick off.

I can confirm this to be true.

However, i managed to convince them to accept a fax.

Last month I called A&L to ensure I could make a rapid CHAPS transfer for a large sum from my account, and they told me I could do it with a simple phonecall. A couple of days later, I call them up, and said I wanted to do the CHAPS. 'No problem sir, but we will need to call you back on your home number to confirm the transaction just before it goes ahead'. At that point I remembered I'd had fibre optic internet installed and as a result my home number had changed very recently. They told me I would have to put my new number in writing and wait a month or two or come into a branch! Problem is, I live in France. They knew that, and despite I told them on the phone, they still insisted I come into a branch. 'There are no A&L branches here', I told them... After some hesitation, they said, you can send a fax, with a copy of your passport. 'I don't have a fax, can't you just call me on my new number?'. 'No!'.

I suppose I understand it from a security point of view, but it was a bloody hassle, when my CHAPS payment had to go out that day.

I'd be peeved at being stuck on the phone for all that time. They charge for it now don't they?

Edited by You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

50 minutes on the phone and the guy I spoke to said that I now have to go into a branch to close the esaver.

I had money in Ing , HBOS , B&B and Nat West at one stage and got sick to death of comparing interest rates and having the hassle of moving stuff about.

It got to the stage where i thought ****** it and stuck it all in a savings bond with Barclays. I now don't have to think about it for the next 4 years , apart from the worry of Barclays going under but if that scenario unfolded then i think my money would be the least of my problems.

In 2 or 3 years time if interest rates have shot up then i will be regretting the decision to lock it all in but not having to deal with a bank clerk or call centre operative for 5 whole years will be some consolation.

In writing is fair.

;-/

or not.

But you have to verify yourself in a number of ways anyway. But fair enough, I can live with not being able to do it over the phone. But turning up in person? With my passport? And able to answer any question they wish?

Yes security issues may affect this, but companies are now making it extremely difficult for customers to finish with their services. Anyone's tried to leave T-Mobile will be able to tell you the obstacles they will put in your way (emails ignored, telephone calls mysteriously cut off, letters misunderstood). They all believe they'll cut down the churn rate if they make it incredibly difficult to leave.

Had exactly the same with Vodafone. Wanted to cancel my mobile broadband. I have to email someone with the phone number, then wait until I get an email back and only from this point will my 30 days notice period start!

Don't bother closing it - just transfer the money out to another account and let it rot. Do it in stages if you have to.

Let it rot - I like your thinking :D

Nice to see I'm not alone with these bank account woes. Every dealing I have with these banks seem to result in hours of my time wasted.

I recently applied for contents insurance with BoS on the net. What should have been a 5 minute process turned out to be a fiasco. Their site said it would not accept payment online and told me to call a number. I thought, here we go with the extras. So I call the number and they couldn't reference the online details, hence I had to go through everything again over the phone. Same details but yet the policy was a tenner cheaper. Come back to the PC to find an email saying policy has been purchased. So now I had two policies and had to call up again to cancel the online one. Check my credit card statement a few days later and find three identical payments taken for the internet policy and one for the phone policy. No doubt I'll be calling up again as one refund will be seen and not the three I'm owed.

And no I didn't jab at the pay button like a monkey :lol:

I had money in Ing , HBOS , B&B and Nat West at one stage and got sick to death of comparing interest rates and having the hassle of moving stuff about.

It got to the stage where i thought ****** it and stuck it all in a savings bond with Barclays. I now don't have to think about it for the next 4 years , apart from the worry of Barclays going under but if that scenario unfolded then i think my money would be the least of my problems.

In 2 or 3 years time if interest rates have shot up then i will be regretting the decision to lock it all in but not having to deal with a bank clerk or call centre operative for 5 whole years will be some consolation.

inflation

Let it rot - I like your thinking :D

Nice to see I'm not alone with these bank account woes. Every dealing I have with these banks seem to result in hours of my time wasted.

I recently applied for contents insurance with BoS on the net. What should have been a 5 minute process turned out to be a fiasco. Their site said it would not accept payment online and told me to call a number. I thought, here we go with the extras. So I call the number and they couldn't reference the online details, hence I had to go through everything again over the phone. Same details but yet the policy was a tenner cheaper. Come back to the PC to find an email saying policy has been purchased. So now I had two policies and had to call up again to cancel the online one. Check my credit card statement a few days later and find three identical payments taken for the internet policy and one for the phone policy. No doubt I'll be calling up again as one refund will be seen and not the three I'm owed.

And no I didn't jab at the pay button like a monkey :lol:

Just check that one of those 3 payments isn't a refund first..

Looking on the bright side, this thread just jolted my memory of an online account I'd forgotten about for years, meaning I am the staggering sum of £40 better off.. Well, it's a brighter side for me, anyway.

50 minutes. In that time you could have written a letter and trotted down to the post box.

Why can't you move it out on-line?

I 'closed' (took the balance down to £1) an A&L e-saver a while ago and opened a new one that is paying 3% (I think). It was a big daft, had to transfer the money out to my bank account and back into the new account - but I didn't have to talk to anyone.

The trouble with this route is if you want to be a 'new' customer a year or so down the line when they're offering better deals to 'new' customers, you won't be able to take advantage of them.