House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Finance 'hole' For Yorkshire After Test Match

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10751255

Yorkshire County Cricket Club is looking at making savings after poor ticket sales for the Test match between Pakistan and Australia.

Chief executive Stewart Regan said the club had missed out on about £750,000 after failing to attract the five-figures attendances it was hoping for.

The club has warned that poor ticket sales could lead to redundancies.

Pakistan completed their first Test win against Australia for 15 years at Headingley on Saturday.

Mr Regan said: "Clearly with a capacity of 18,000 we would have hoped to have had certainly into a five-figure attendance.

"We've ended up with 4,000 on the first two days, around about 6,000 on the third day. Financially it leaves a big hole in our cash flow.

"It is quite a hole that we're going to have to find elsewhere."

Mr Regan said when the club won the chance to host the match it expected it to be a "huge success".

He said: "It certainly hasn't turned out to be the case and we have got to now look at putting an action plan in place to deal with the fallout from that and move on."

Did someone make up a figure of what ticket sales would be only for that figure to be utter tripe?

It would appear a lot of people are swimming naked in the sea and have very little business acumen. To get the match did they have to over estimate the tickets sales and therefore the profits?

Fantasy figures it's what the world economy is based on.

Did someone make up a figure of what ticket sales would be only for that figure to be utter tripe?

It would appear a lot of people are swimming naked in the sea and have very little business acumen. To get the match did they have to over estimate the tickets sales and therefore the profits?

There is a big Asian population in that area of Yorkshire, that's a given, but I expect they over-estimated the figures because Pakistan were expected to be thrashed, and they'd rather watch a match v England. Test match prices are bloated now as well, cheapest ticket at Trent Bridge, £55!

Unfortunately, Headingley aren't getting one of the England v Pakistan tests, which would have been much fuller.

its the flatcappedpunterless recovery

There is a big Asian population in that area of Yorkshire, that's a given, but I expect they over-estimated the figures because Pakistan were expected to be thrashed, and they'd rather watch a match v England. Test match prices are bloated now as well, cheapest ticket at Trent Bridge, £55!

Unfortunately, Headingley aren't getting one of the England v Pakistan tests, which would have been much fuller.

Strange. My ticket for the Larwood & Voce is £42 (still pretty expensive, but I guess compared with football, not bad value at all!).

The thing which hacks me off with cricket is the price of the beer. I don't mind a high ticket price if the beer is reasonably priced, or they at least let you take a 4 pack in to get started with! HIgh ticket price plus high beer price is going to start having a erious effect on crowds I reckon over the coming years.

Strange. My ticket for the Larwood & Voce is £42 (still pretty expensive, but I guess compared with football, not bad value at all!).

You're right. Apologies.

I did a quick search for tickets and the price I saw must have been an 'agency' or a 'tout' or rob-dogs as I call them. I stopped going to Edgbaston for test matches years ago when they stopped you taking any alcohol in (security my a**e) and then queue up to pay extortionate prices for beer where you can't see the game. They can stick it.

They should use an Easyjet-style algorithm for calculating ticket prices, adjusting the prices according to date/time purchased and demand.

That would pretty much guarantee full grounds, Pakistan-Australia would be cheap, England -Australia would be expensive.

Full grounds would generate atmosphere and make people want to come back.

It's not rocket science, these people are always behind the curve for some reason.

You're right. Apologies.

I did a quick search for tickets and the price I saw must have been an 'agency' or a 'tout' or rob-dogs as I call them. I stopped going to Edgbaston for test matches years ago when they stopped you taking any alcohol in (security my a**e) and then queue up to pay extortionate prices for beer where you can't see the game. They can stick it.

Ditto.

Expensive, difficult public transport, poor service, uncomfortable, poor visibility unless you have a very expensive seat. Not worth it.

You're actually better off watching a big HDTV at home.

I may be asking a stupid question here, but why is a Pakistan/Australia match being staged in the UK? Is it some sort of world cup type competition?

You're right. Apologies.

Exactly, I remember as a kid taking a picnic hamper into Old Trafford with all sorts in, full ground usually. Now they expect you to pay £50 for a day of boredom, £4 a pint of watery shite, crappy unhealthy food. Let people take their own stash in and there'd be a huge improvement.

I may be asking a stupid question here, but why is a Pakistan/Australia match being staged in the UK? Is it some sort of world cup type competition?

Because there's the small chance of a couple of religionistas getting overly excited.

Radio said tickets were £30 adult and £15 children. That explains why so few went. Like houses, overpriced!!!

People simply haven't got the money anymore.