House Price Crash Forum

41% Of People Expect House Prices To Be Higher This Year

HOLA441

OK so this is a bearish article based on a Rightmove survey:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7906850/Confidence-falls-in-higher-house-prices.html

But a question....

In the current economic environment, with all of the talk of austerity, record unemployment, limited mortgage availability, high deposit requirements, housing benefit cuts, capital gains changes, overbuilding etc....

How can 41% of people browsing Rightmove think property is set to rise this year? Do they walk around with their eyes and ears closed?

Edit - I guess the 'browsing Rightmove' makes them a self selecting group in some ways, but I bet this still adds up to a fair few.

Edited by Kyoto

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7906850/Confidence-falls-in-higher-house-prices.html

But a question....

In the current economic environment, with all of the talk of austerity, record unemployment, limited mortgage availability, high deposit requirements, housing benefit cuts, capital gains changes, overbuilding etc....

How can 41% of people browsing Rightmove think property is set to rise this year? Do they walk around with their eyes and ears closed?

PSR syndrome.*

*Positive self-reinforcement is a form of denial reaction to stressful situations in which a loss threatens well being.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA443

PSR syndrome.*

*Positive self-reinforcement is a form of denial reaction to stressful situations in which a loss threatens well being.

and 58% think they will be flat, id wager.

HOLA444

But a question....

Edit - I guess the 'browsing Rightmove' makes them a self selecting group in some ways, but I bet this still adds up to a fair few.

They are probably basing on previous experience, that whatever happens house prices go up. I bet if you asked the general public the figure would be much higher.

HOLA445
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

I've had 2 conversations in the last fortnight where HP's have crept in. In both instances the phrase "always go up" was used.

There are huge swathes of people who will NEVER, EVER, EVER get it. People who can display intelligence or knowledge in other areas but as soon as we're talking house prices, it's time for a trip to la la land

I just despair. Even animals aren't this bloody stupid.

HOLA446

But a question....

Its positive contrarian confirmation, if the figure was 10% id probably be very bullish on houseprices, to be honest it woud be even better as a signal of declines if the percentage was up in the 60s

HOLA447

But a question....

welcome to GB...you got plenty of stupid people...

HOLA448

welcome to GB...you got plenty of stupid people...

where the prevailing view is that its bankers fault for not lending so people can "afford" the high prices.

talk about reverse logic.

HOLA449
He suggested that the recovery in house prices during the next 12 months would rely on greater access to affordable mortgages.

So.. he's saying that the only way of increasing house prices is by making them more affordable ?!