House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D.C.

Wikileaks Publishes 90,000 Documents On The Afghan War

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/datablog/2010/jul/25/wikileaks-afghanistan-data

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7909742/Afghanistan-war-logs-90000-classified-documents-revealed-by-Wikileaks.html

Apparently they do not paint a very good picture of Pakistan's intelligence service who have been training, equipping and sheltering the Taliban while killing off Afghan leaders that support the US.

Apparently they do not paint a very good picture of Pakistan's intelligence service who have been training, equipping and sheltering the Taliban while killing off Afghan leaders that support the US.

This one is rather amusing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/taliban-tapped-mobile-phones-afghanistan

Apparently the Taliban, Russians, Chinese, Pakistanis and Iranians were all probably able to track and tap calls made using cell phones in Afghanistan. Though quite why the military would ever imagine that cell phones were secure in the first place is beyond me...

The one about Afghan police at a British base shooting each other while high on drugs would be funny too if one of them hadn't died.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/datablog/2010/jul/25/wikileaks-afghanistan-data

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7909742/Afghanistan-war-logs-90000-classified-documents-revealed-by-Wikileaks.html

Been saying for a long time the real enemy here is Pakistan.

This one is rather amusing:

http://www.guardian....nes-afghanistan

Apparently the Taliban, Russians, Chinese, Pakistanis and Iranians were all probably able to track and tap calls made using cell phones in Afghanistan. Though quite why the military would ever imagine that cell phones were secure in the first place is beyond me...

The one about Afghan police at a British base shooting each other while high on drugs would be funny too if one of them hadn't died.

You would think that the military and diplomatic service would use encrypted cellphones.:rolleyes:

You would think that the military and diplomatic service would use encrypted cellphones.:rolleyes:

All GSM and 3G cellphones are encrypted. The A5/1 GSM encryption was set at a level where only a party with considerable computer processing power could crack the encryption.(Read: Government security forces.) 20 years on, computing power and techniques has become more affordable. One German already claims to have cracked the A5/1 encryption; it will happen eventually, but then the operators can introduce the stronger A5/3 128-bit encryption. 3G uses 128-bit encryption.

The encryption only applies to the mobile network - obviously it has to be de-encrypted to interwork with a normal telephone.

Foreign agencies typically intercept the radio transmissions, requiring decryption capabilities. If, however, you have access to the network infrastructure (i.e. the network operator's facilities) the interception becomes much simpler. You don't necessairily need to decrypt, and don't have to intercept the radio transmission.

When GSM encryption was being designed, the French government wanted the encryption algorithm weaked. Apparently the French secret service weren't very good at cracking codes :lol: .

Edit to add: The Taliban probably don't attack the Afghan GSM network because they use it for communications themselves - and to set off IEDs.

It might just be having problems coping with the number of hits at the moment.

Edit: or a DOS attack.

However, I doubt either of my above explanations now, as all that comes up is a blank page.

No doubt the CIA have big switches to turn parts of teh Interweb off.

Or someone is paying Wikileaks a vist, and their servers are being rendered extraordinarily at this very moment.

The wikileaks website seems to be off the air. I wonder why ph34r.gif

Assange has done a press conference and there are allegations that the leaked documents evidence war crimes. Maybe that's why it's offline. :ph34r: (BTW Can we have a suspicious smilie that doesn't look like it's wearing a burkha - I'd never wear one in real life, but I may be suspicious?)

Foreign agencies typically intercept the radio transmissions, requiring decryption capabilities. If, however, you have access to the network infrastructure (i.e. the network operator's facilities) the interception becomes much simpler. You don't necessairily need to decrypt, and don't have to intercept the radio transmission.

The story implies that all calls were being routed through Pakistan, where they were tapped directly by the telephone company. So GSM encryption is irrelevant, only end-to-end encryption would work and Western governments have done their best to prevent that.

Edit to add: The Taliban probably don't attack the Afghan GSM network because they use it for communications themselves - and to set off IEDs.

The story also said that the phone company were tapping the Taliban's phones too, at least up to the point where the Taliban threatened to kill them if they continued doing so.

It might just be having problems coping with the number of hits at the moment.

It seems to be way overloaded: I just tried and I got a complete web page but downloading the files got disconnected part-way through.

Of course it's quite possible that's due to a US government DOS attack rather than millions of Guardian readers.

It seems to be way overloaded: I just tried and I got a complete web page but downloading the files got disconnected part-way through.

Of course it's quite possible that's due to a US government DOS attack rather than millions of Guardian readers.

It is more likely to be server overload.

Wikileaks already passed all of the data on to the New York Times, The Guardian and Das Spiegel, you can download the data from them in the first link I posted.

They are still up and running so a government DOS attack would be rather silly as they knew in advance taking out the wikileak website wouldn't stop the data being made available.

With regards to mobile phone interception, hasn't any of you aver read 'clear and present danger'?

If that is to be believed the CIA were tapping untappable phones a long time ago and they actually have patents on the tech used to do it.

why are they still in afghanistan? it's time to leave

Because no American politician wants to be seen as losing a war, even when it was clearly lost years ago. And because lots of people in the military-industrial complex are making lots and lots of money.