House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stressed-Out

One Down...

So, there I am, walking down to the station this morning, when what should I see, but the windows of Fox & Sons estate agency all smeared with that white windowlene stuff and a couple of sad-looking print-outs sellotaped to them declaring:

'THIS OFFICE IS NOW CLOSED: FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PLEASE CONTACT...'

And what did I do? Did I stop to reflect upon how sad it is that at least 3 people will have lost their jobs, and the consequences that might carry for them and their families? Did I clutch my forehead in panic with the dawning realization that this signals the start of the end of our economy as we've known it (time to buy gold, 'n' all that)? :ph34r:

Nope. Do you know what I did? I did a little merry dance of JOY right there on the pavement and (inwardly, of course, since it was busy) flicked the vs at the whole hideous, lying, cheating, cretinous, suppurating effluence of estate agents globally, and laughed a deeply contented laugh indeed.

:P:D:lol::P:D:lol::P:D:lol:

Well, just thought there might be those amongst you who would like to know...

And heres raising a glass to reading about many more in the future.Cheers!

I'm sure each job loss is a blow to a family and I wouldn't wish that on any of them on a personal basis......but.....there are just far too many estate agents in my town....treble or quadruple what I would consider suitable for maintanence of a healthy competive market...........hence I too will be raising a glass when the first batch are windowlened out.

I'm sure each job loss is a blow to a family and I wouldn't wish that on any of them on a personal basis......but.....there are just far too many estate agents in my town....treble or quadruple what I would consider suitable for maintanence of a healthy competive market...........hence I too will be raising a glass when the first batch are windowlened out.

Ah yes....my old haunt of T Wells, regularly sporting one estate agent for every man woman and child, perhaps even more. If you walk up the "old" high street you will see only three kinds of establishments: Estate Agents, Bespoke kitchen/nail/hair/furniture/"lifestyle" etc etc retailers, and a few banks. That's it.

Now as I recall, in 1991-1992 nearly the whole street became boarded up with accumulated bankruptcies. I predict this time round even more "all style - no substance" "Businesses" are going to go down in wonderful Tunbridge Wells, a town entirely built upon speculation.

Put that in your Pantiles!

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

Guest Bart of Darkness

Must be closed for redecoration in anticipation of the autumn/winter/spring "bounce".

It'll re-open with twice as many staff and expanded floorspace.

Trust me. ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness
Isnt that the kind of phrase estate agents use and other theiving scumbags?

You catch on fast!

Did I stop to reflect upon how sad it is that at least 3 people will have lost their jobs

You would probably feel more sorry for the cockroach that you accidentally stepped on...............

Was that the one on the hill across from what used to be Bentall's? They always had the cr*p listings, them and Andrews. No banks left on the High Street. Laast one was turned into a Pizza Express. Watch for the rise of the charity shop on every High Street.

Goodbye Louis Vuitton, hello Marie Curie.

I'm from Crowborough (10miles from Tun Wells for those who don't know) although I dont live there any more. Apparently Bairstows EA has just closed, having opened only two years ago.

My parents have lived there for 20 years on Pleasant View Road which looks out over fields towards Tunbridge Wells. The area is very sought after and until a couple of months ago they had NEVER seen a for sale sign up in the street.....properties were always sold the moment the EA got instruction. Even in the last crash, a house that got reposessed didn't even get a for sale sign up. Now there are 2 for sale signs and they have been there a while.

This is real evidence of a change, although for the area asking prices haven't come off much.

We'll see what happens in the next 6 months or so I think.

I promise I'll take my camera with me tomorrow morning and capture it for you in all its glory...

For those of you who know TW, Fox & Sons WAS (ha!) on the corner of Clanricade Gardens, on the same side of Mount Pleasant as the train station (all streets in Tunbridge Wells must be called 'pleasant' by law. Well, except for those in High Brooms, Sherwood, Rusthall, Camden Road, etc., etc.)

Anyway, I'll be keeping you updated about the next one: I don't think it'll be too long now...

I promise I'll take my camera with me tomorrow morning and capture it for you in all its glory...

For those of you who know TW, Fox & Sons WAS (ha!) on the corner of Clanricade Gardens, on the same side of Mount Pleasant as the train station (all streets in Tunbridge Wells must be called 'pleasant' by law. Well, except for those in High Brooms, Sherwood, Rusthall, Camden Road, etc., etc.)

Anyway, I'll be keeping you updated about the next one: I don't think it'll be too long now...

My money is on Bracketts or Wood & Pilcher. Go Wood!

And what did I do? Did I stop to reflect upon how sad it is that at least 3 people will have lost their jobs, ...Nope. Do you know what I did? I did a little merry dance of JOY right there on the pavement  :P  :D  :lol:  :P  :D  :lol:  :P  :D  :lol:

And I thought I was mean, checking hopefully everyday on the WHO site for signs of an avian flu epidemic :P

Nah, I think it'll be that really naff-looking one near Safeways, Mark Symmons.

Anyway, I hope it's not Wood and Pilcher, because I'm in the process of negotiating a new rental property through them!

Although on second thoughts, that's not such a bad idea, because then I could deal directly with the landlord and save myself the £400 or whatever it's going to cost me in agency fees and the like to rent the place (including £70, no less, for someone to come round and spend 10 minutes or whatever it takes to check the inventory of furnishings at the end of the tenancy - why the hell should I have to pay for that, I ask you?)

Hate them all, horrid little toerags!

My personal favourite in this area is DOUGLAS MOLONEY and partners. If you telephone some of the branches you'll get a very high pitched put-on voice from a woman of a certain age.

Now I want you to practice, in a very clipped, upper upper put-on sloane accent thus, very quickly please and with a roedean accent:

"Douglas Moloney and Partners...hiow may I help".

Did you try it? Good...now go back and make it even more shrill, even more cod-"efficient"....no.... still not "intimidating" enough. Go higher, faster, more clipped.

OK....not so bad second time.

Now I want you to practice these phrases. Start slow then speed up to make it sound half natural:

"Thisand Pinds"

"Three hundred Thisind Pinds or Rind Abite that Aminte"

Now try this:

"Do you have a Hise to sell? Oh good. Well, the Hise you are looking at in the brochueeer is on at seven hundred thisand, but our client may accept six hundred and ninety five thisand".

"Are you in a chain"? "What.....you'll offer.....hiow much?" "Goodness no....our client will not accept a penny less than six...helio....helio...........Douglas Mol...."

VP

Perfect imitation of Tunbridge Wells EA snobs, VP, though maybe a little bit TOO perfect... hope you're not from 'The Dark Side' yourself ;);)

Anyway, by the popular demand of one person, here are those photos I promised of the FORMER Fox & Sons EA in Tunbridge Wells.

I thought it was rather a nice touch to get those two tramps sitting on the bench in front of the shop (sorry, I meant office - EAs aren't shops - silly me!). But surely it can't be Mr Fox and his son already, can it? It's only been three days after all...

Fox_Sons1.jpg

Fox_Sons3.jpg

post-2663-1125769874_thumb.jpg

post-2663-1125769939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stressed-Out

i must admit it does look like mr fox has gone downhill very quickly  :lol:

To my disappointment I see that so far no other branches appear to be on their knees. I 'phoned a branch on the south coast today and there was no answer. But it was just a wrong number. Fox and sons appear to be thriving everywhere else.

How about a "Fox Watch"? Win Kudos and a T shirt for being the first to spot the next one to collapse.

VP

To my disappointment I see that so far no other branches appear to be on their knees. I 'phoned a branch on the south coast today and there was no answer. But it was just a wrong number. Fox and sons appear to be thriving everywhere else.

How about a "Fox Watch"? Win Kudos and a T shirt for being the first to spot the next one to collapse.

VP

VP, you seem to have a penchant for phoning EAs - you might want to get that looked at ;)

Seriously, though, please let me know if you see any more evidence of EA closures...

VP, you seem to have a penchant for phoning EAs  - you might want to get that looked at  ;)

Seriously, though, please let me know if you see any more evidence of EA closures...

I have phoned a lot recently because I am bored with my current rented place and was seeking an alternative. To be fair, the majority of agents I have phoned have been quite reasonable, and I note that their charges have "adjusted" themselves to a now buyer's market, in stark contrast to the relative disdain and high charges which greeted renters only 6 months ago.

VP

Anyway, by the popular demand of one person, here are those photos I promised of the FORMER Fox & Sons EA in Tunbridge Wells.

I thought it was rather a nice touch to get those two tramps sitting on the bench in front of the shop (sorry, I meant office - EAs aren't shops - silly me!). But surely it can't be Mr Fox and his son already, can it? It's only been three days after all...

You should send your photo in to this...could be a contender in the "innovation" category!

http://www.estateagencyevents.com/pdfs/Entry.pdf

:lol: