House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

What Is The Point Of Forumla 1?

Guest theboltonfury

What a pointless sport. Not only is it down to who has the best machine, but you're not even allowed to have a proper race against each other without being told where you've got to finish.

Bit harsh. I sort of wonder what has happened to Massa since his accident, whenever they play the radio coverage it seems that his race engineer is operating him by remote control. Ferrari have always been this way though, I remember all the the time Rubens Barrichello had to let Schumacher through. However, I think this season has demonstrated very clearly that (1) having the best machine doesn't mean you automatically win and (2) generally they are allowed to have a proper race with each other.

Agreed.

And they seem hell bent on taking the excitement out of it. Stopping refuelling for instance, removing one of the big variables and points of strategy.

Guest theboltonfury

Agreed.

And they seem hell bent on taking the excitement out of it. Stopping refuelling for instance, removing one of the big variables and points of strategy.

It's not really my thing, but it could be bloody brilliant. It's as if they actually don't want it to be.

Guest Noodle

It's to provide my slightly psychotic old dear with something to scream at the TV for.

Guest theboltonfury

Bit harsh. I sort of wonder what has happened to Massa since his accident, whenever they play the radio coverage it seems that his race engineer is operating him by remote control. Ferrari have always been this way though, I remember all the the time Rubens Barrichello had to let Schumacher through. However, I think this season has demonstrated very clearly that (1) having the best machine doesn't mean you automatically win and (2) generally they are allowed to have a proper race with each other.

I'm just seeing it at face value. Someone was told to slow down because he was faster. It's a con. It's meant to be a race but it's not really a race if a handful of drivers have alrerady been told that they are not allowed to win.

motogp pisses all over f1 in terms of entertainment value, the only f1 race i would go to would be monaco and that would be more fore the atmosphere than the actual racing. Motogp is just better to watch.

It's not really my thing, but it could be bloody brilliant. It's as if they actually don't want it to be.

The big problem is aero vs. mechanical grip, and the effects aero has on the person trying to overtake. It means, in short, they need quite an advantage to get past. The teams tend to develop faster than the rules can be changed; e.g., double diffuser, blown/stalled diffuser and so on which doesn't help. They are, however, bringing in adjustable wings next year for overtaking purposes.

I'm just seeing it at face value. Someone was told to slow down because he was faster. It's a con. It's meant to be a race but it's not really a race if a handful of drivers have alrerady been told that they are not allowed to win.

This is the first time its happened for quite a long time (nb. it is the first time in quite a long time Ferrari have been any good, these things are not unrelated). Everyone else have been permitting their drivers to race each other with occasionally disastrous results. There is something strange about Ferrari and furthermore something strange about Massa and Alonso dynamic anyway in terms of one being a bit submissive to the other just in terms of personality. I'm just saying I don't think the generalisation is fair. I found today's events annoying as well for what its worth.

disagree with what happened, but it unavoidable and it cannot be proved

The only way to stop it would be to have single driver teams, there is a enquiry but it will pbably go ferraris way as there is no way to prove it.. This will open the flood gates to other teams doing it more blatantly. IMHO one of the interests of F1 is the politics of the sport, what happens off the track is often almost as interesting as the race. Its all part of F1, this is part of the sport and always has been, and it actually makes it more interesting. It models the real world, there is an under story and the networks and informal decisions and money influences the results...

All you need to watch is the last lasp of I think the Spanish MotoGP last year, where Rossi and Lorenzo overtook each other four of five times to see the difference between motoGP and F1. And by the way Rossi and Lorenzo are team mates. And a crash in motoGP can mean broken legs ... but team mates still race each other.

Blatant team orders in F1. A few years ago Pedrosa took out his team mate Hayden as they raced each other, that almost cost Hayden the championship.

You didn't see this year's Turkish GP then?

All you need to watch is the last lasp of I think the Spanish MotoGP last year, where Rossi and Lorenzo overtook each other four of five times to see the difference between motoGP and F1. And by the way Rossi and Lorenzo are team mates. And a crash in motoGP can mean broken legs ... but team mates still race each other.

Blatant team orders in F1. A few years ago Pedrosa took out his team mate Hayden as they raced each other, that almost cost Hayden the championship.

Whats a MotoGP race? 20 laps? Perhaps F1 could do something similar with no pit stops. Watching F1 can be an endurance.

What a pointless sport. Not only is it down to who has the best machine, but you're not even allowed to have a proper race against each other without being told where you've got to finish.

It has technology, intrigue, skill, excitement. In short it's the best sport there is. Far better than watching twenty two fully grown men kick a bag of wind around a field.

Yes it's just that the race from last years was very special as Rossi overtook where apparently you cannot overtake and it was also the last corner to win the race,

Fair enough, but you had Vettel taking out Webber and then you had Button overtaking Hamilton on the penultimate lap and Hamilton overtaking Button on the final lap. In both cases team mates. The primary problem is that its hard to overtake moreso than team orders which just reduces the opportunities. The Torro Rossos had a ding-dong today now I think about it, its wrong to say it doesn't happen.

How hacked off would you be if you had had a bet on Massa to win today, having been encouraged by his and Ferrari's return to form, and you knew that team orders were not allowed in the rules of the sport.

Grounds for litigation?

It certainly does the sport no credit..............a dull race and a dodgy result that the FIA seem to want to do nothing about.

One of the big concerns is safety. Many over the regulations introduced over the last 15-20 years have been designed to make the cars go slower, the fact that they keep getting faster speaks volumes about the skill of the engineers, which is where the talent really lies. People see it as a negative that the guy who drives the fastest car wins, but this (aside from the fact it's not totally true) misses the point somewhat.

Further, contrary to popular belief it's not all about the money. Toyota poured around $1Bn into their team and never got a single win, Honda poured in a similar amount for a similarly paltry return, Ford (as Jaguar) made a big investment for no return, Ferrari had a barren period of almost 25 years despite huge investment.

Guest theboltonfury

It has technology, intrigue, skill, excitement. In short it's the best sport there is. Far better than watching twenty two fully grown men kick a bag of wind around a field.

It's certainly not the best sport there is. I'm not sure which one it is, but it's not this one. It's only open to rich kids for a start.

I think cycling is a contender and I would have said cricket, but that's even more corrupt than F1.

Further, contrary to popular belief it's not all about the money. Toyota poured around $1Bn into their team and never got a single win, Honda poured in a similar amount for a similarly paltry return, Ford (as Jaguar) made a big investment for no return, Ferrari had a barren period of almost 25 years despite huge investment.

Spot on. In the days when engineering prowess ruled over unlimited funds, Lotus won 7 constructors' championships when designed and built on a shoestring by an engineering genius, Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman. Gave Senna (after a few races for Toleman) and Mansell their first proper F1 drives too.

I like(d) the American series when you have control over the fuel/air mixture depending on how much you've got left.

I remember Juan Pablo Montoya taking a rich mixture (think it was 1999) and coming through most of the field in the last few laps.

The most interesting F1 races to me are the wet ones when an Arrows or Force India try and hang on to the lead. Either that or Monaco when Panis won (think only 4 cars finished that race). There is far too much procession in F1 due to the drag issues mentioned before.

Guest Noodle

It's certainly not the best sport there is. I'm not sure which one it is, but it's not this one. It's only open to rich kids for a start.

I think cycling is a contender and I would have said cricket, but that's even more corrupt than F1.

This has to be the ultimate endurance sport of true athletes. Genetic stallions of men with few challengers, fighting to the death with spears like Roman gladiators. These human specimens represent the ultimate, pinnacle of our race and should be worshiped by women with huge feet and the finest of ladyboys and eunuchs.

andy-fordham_1529259c.jpg

Spot on. In the days when engineering prowess ruled over unlimited funds, Lotus won 7 constructors' championships when designed and built on a shoestring by an engineering genius, Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman. Gave Senna (after a few races for Toleman) and Mansell their first proper F1 drives too.

All good, except Colin Chapman never met either Senna or Mansell, as he popped his clogs in 1982......

Someone was opining to me a few weeks ago that one of the points of F1 was that effectively it's a research and development testbed for technologies that will be standard issue (if they're proven to work and be mass-manufacturable on an economic scale) in bogstandard production cars in a decade or two's time. The example he gave me was that antilock braking created a huge stir when it was introduced in F1 cars in the mid-1980s, being likened to something out of science fiction: a decade and half later, it was standard equipment in a Mondeo. In other words, motorsport facilitates the proof-of-concept stage. If that hurdle is passed, the inventors then have to demonstrate that it can be mass-produced.

Guest Noodle

Someone was opining to me a few weeks ago that one of the points of F1 was that effectively it's a research and development testbed for technologies that will be standard issue (if they're proven to work and be mass-manufacturable on an economic scale) in bogstandard production cars in a decade or two's time. The example he gave me was that antilock braking created a huge stir when it was introduced in F1 cars in the mid-1980s, being likened to something out of science fiction: a decade and half later, it was standard equipment in a Mondeo. In other words, motorsport facilitates the proof-of-concept stage. If that hurdle is passed, the inventors then have to demonstrate that it can be mass-produced.

What, like soft touch retractable cup holders and reverse parking sensors.

Guest theboltonfury

This has to be the ultimate endurance sport of true athletes. Genetic stallions of men with few challengers, fighting to the death with spears like Roman gladiators. These human specimens represent the ultimate, pinnacle of our race and should be worshiped by women with huge feet and the finest of ladyboys and eunuchs.

andy-fordham_1529259c.jpg

Leave The Viking out of this.