House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WorkingForTheMan

Ea Single Person Discrimination

Ok I'm not actually single as I have a girlfriend, but she isn't ready for moving in just yet. I want a -decent- size house, and i can afford it. Yet I seem to be met with distrust and suspicion when I am shown around/apply for rental houses.

I dont think a decent sized 2/3 bed house with garden/garage is over the top for a single guy. I dont want to rent a studio or a one bed slave box in a converted mill (cos they are crap!), I want my own space and land and privacy and somewhere to put all my stuff, and an office/study etc, and a garage to tinker with my car/do diy stuff. The difference in price between a 'luxury apartment' in a converted mill and a 3 bed semi is pretty minimal round here (50-100 quid pcm)

Yet when I go to view properties I get 'is it just for you?', and when i see something I like and go to the effort of filling in the forms, I seem to be put to the back of the queue and have to constantly badger the EA, then evenually get told 'oh the landlord preferred another applicant'. Its happened FOUR times now, on properties I really liked, and is beginning to grate. Do I have to get some run down rat infested self contained flat just because I'm a single guy?

If they even bothered to chase up my references they would see I am the ideal tenant, always pay rent on time, keep the place immaculate, and dont bother anyone.

So long as I pass the references/credit checks, and can afford it, why does it seem to be a problem?

:angry:

Ok I'm not actually single as I have a girlfriend, but she isn't ready for moving in just yet. I want a -decent- size house, and i can afford it. Yet I seem to be met with distrust and suspicion when I am shown around/apply for rental houses.

I dont think a decent sized 2/3 bed house with garden/garage is over the top for a single guy. I dont want to rent a studio or a one bed slave box in a converted mill (cos they are crap!), I want my own space and land and privacy and somewhere to put all my stuff, and an office/study etc, and a garage to tinker with my car/do diy stuff. The difference in price between a 'luxury apartment' in a converted mill and a 3 bed semi is pretty minimal round here (50-100 quid pcm)

Yet when I go to view properties I get 'is it just for you?', and when i see something I like and go to the effort of filling in the forms, I seem to be put to the back of the queue and have to constantly badger the EA, then evenually get told 'oh the landlord preferred another applicant'. Its happened FOUR times now, on properties I really liked, and is beginning to grate. Do I have to get some run down rat infested self contained flat just because I'm a single guy?

If they even bothered to chase up my references they would see I am the ideal tenant, always pay rent on time, keep the place immaculate, and dont bother anyone.

So long as I pass the references/credit checks, and can afford it, why does it seem to be a problem?

Are you young? Some agents / landlords worry about several young blokes moving into a property and trashing it / upsetting the neighbours / etc etc. I'm not saying it's right.

Personally, I would suggest to the agent that you are looking for somewhere to settle down and mention you have a girlfriend.

No lies but having rented houses for 25 years what you have to do is sell yourself to the landlord via the agent. Mention what kind of job you have, mention your degree if you have one, mention the stability of your employer,mention your quiet lifestyle.

In effect, tick the boxes that a landlord is looking for. If you have to, get your girlfriend to come to viewings with you.

Take the Mrs with you perhaps??

Take the Mrs with you perhaps??

Its often difficult to take the Mrs as she lives/works in another town. When I do take her then only apply in my name they think I am trying to keep something (about her) from them, and I'm going to move her in 'illegally'. Can't win! I've always rented through private landlords but tbh everyone seems to prefer going through estate agents these days.

I've never dealt with estate agents until now, and I cant believe how slack they are. Missed appointments, not returning calls, giving me wrong details, not knowing anything about the properties, general rudeness, unprofessionalism etc etc (and thats a few companies, not just one).

Bah.