House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Fawlty Bankrupt - Torbay Tops Bankrupt League

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/887180/TV-comedy-town-Torquay-tops-the-bankrupt-table.html

DON'T mention the debts, Sybil. It's no joke for folk living near where Basil Fawlty's hotel was based - because they're top of Britain's BANKRUPTCY charts.

A massive study has pinpointed seaside towns as the most likely places in the land for people to end up in the red - and not just from sunburn.

No1 hotspot for going bust is TORBAY, which includes the south Devon resort of Torquay where John Cleese's Fawlty Towers TV comedy was set.

Other coastal spots among the 20 places in England and Wales most likely to leave you broke are PLYMOUTH, HASTINGS, GREAT YARMOUTH, CLEETHORPES in North East Lincs, and WHITLEY BAY in North Tyneside.

Steven Law, president of insolvency advisers R3 who compiled the data, said tourism and leisure services were likely to be the first hit when hard-up families rein in spending.

High unemployment has also pushed the North -East high up the insolvency listings. Mr Laws said: "Unfortunately, with public sector job cuts it's likely to get worse.

"Londoners are least likely to become insolvent as there are more job opportunities there."

debt1_133962a.jpg

Looks like it's the holidayless recovery.

I wonder how many of these bought over priced guest houses and the maths simply didn't add up?

If true, I see the M4 corridor provincial sh*tehole Swindon looks in bad shape, which is entirely consistent with my experience of living here throughout the crisis. The jobs have evaporated, as have many of the companies! More 'to let' signs on commercial premises that you could shake a stick at.

Eeek! We're in at #9 in that table of honour!

Hmmm. No, I don't think I can see many obvious signs of trouble. Except perhaps on the high street, where businesses have come and gone rather rapidly. Not even a house price crash: they've been fairly static for at least five years (unlike Plymouth, which is much cheaper and falling).

If true, I see the M4 corridor provincial sh*tehole Swindon looks in bad shape, which is entirely consistent with my experience of living here throughout the crisis. The jobs have evaporated, as have many of the companies! More 'to let' signs on commercial premises that you could shake a stick at.

Once upon a time I worked in Swindon (commuted from Bath). My recollection was of a lot of productive businesses: the kind of companies that produced things people wanted and were prepared to pay for. In other words, the ones that generate real wealth for the nation.