House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

German Love Parade Festival

BERLIN — A stampede inside a tunnel at a popular techno music festival killed 19 people and injured over 340 on Saturday, police officials said Sunday

It was unclear exactly what set off the panic among the throngs of young people squeezing into the tunnel leading to festival grounds in the western German city of Duisburg, but the police said they had tried to close off the area because of overcrowding just before the stampede.

Hannelore Kraft, the premier of the state of North Rhine-Westphalia expressed shock and said an investigation would be opened in order to establish the reasons for the catastrophe. Duisberg is a major industrial city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany’s most populous state.

The police reported telling the crowd to turn around and walk in the other direction before the panic broke out. The scene was so chaotic that other festival attendees, unaware of the deaths, kept dancing and listening to music for some time, news services said.

How desperately sad. So sorry for the families of those involved - they are so young. This is one of the biggest and best peaceful festivals. Somebody on here the other day was talking of visiting it in the past.

However doesn't it seem odd, or at least ill-considered, to put a festival of this size in a relatively small town - it used to be held in Berlin where the wide avenues could easily accommodate the festival goers.

BTW The vid clip is Al Jazeera - I know some on here are phobic about them, but I watch Al Jazeera regularly to get a view on our news from beyond our own goldfish bowl. Some of the reporting is very good.

Very sad indeed for the youngsters and their respective families.

BTW The vid clip is Al Jazeera - I know some on here are phobic about them, but I watch Al Jazeera regularly to get a view on our news from beyond our own goldfish bowl. Some of the reporting is very good.

I also find myself drawn to Al Jazeera media articles from time to time :ph34r:

Were they just "following orders" ?

Rather sad news, I went to the Love Parade about 5 years ago. It was well organised, cracking atmosphere and the German police where very helpful and friendly.