House Price Crash Forum
Boom Boom

The Media Portrayal Of The Unemployed

Yes but people are successful because of luck.

Take Cheryl Cole; born into poverty, now earning £hundreds of thousands but had she be born looking like a dogs ****, then no matter how hard she tried she would get nowhere.

At the end of the day, its all to do with how we were born.

If you were born confident, attractive and focused then you are set up for life. If you were born shy, ugly and unsure then your fate is set in stone.

Plenty of people work damn hard with 100% commitment and still get no where.

You should read Outliers, I found it quite compelling... but then I haven't read anything to contradict the books conclusions, so it is only half the story in that sense.

You should read Outliers, I found it quite compelling... but then I haven't read anything to contradict the books conclusions, so it is only half the story in that sense.

I read Blink by Gladwell and found it to be rather facile.

'.........to support his thesis, he examines the causes of why the majority of Canadian ice hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year, how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his extreme wealth'

Bills filthy rich mum was close to a senior exec at IBM who got him a foot in the door at IBM

Well you could look at this two ways.

(1) You were simply unlucky. Very reasonable explanation.

(2) You made woeful choices at precisely the worst times in your life work wise. Also a very reasonable explanation.

As with most things in life it is probably somewhere in between. I think to put all your above experience down to bad luck is scraping the barrel. For example I have no idea about the building trade but I could see what happened to yourself coming. You made bad choices and you had a bit of bad luck thrown in as well. Shit happens.

Wasnt pointing out my 'bad' luck as such, because on each occasion that one door closed something new came up after a bit of effort and work in between or when the writing was on the wall re the way the horroscope was reading (until recent years when nothing of value has come to light). Just pointing out that it is impossible for people to be so clever as to be 'lucky' with their choices on a consistant basis, those that have been tend to be very arrogant about it and assume that is is their good judgment and inbuilt cleverness that has kept them in that position when in fact it was as much by luck. No one out there can predict the future so precisely that they can follow a golden path for the rest of their working life. Ive heard this 'make your own luck' routine numerous times over the years from friends and family that have had a good run, and then something breaks or changes and they are out on their bums wondering what happened, and after loosing houses and wifes on account of the change in fortunes, they very quickly forget their previous mind set and realise that life doesnt always go in a straight line.

ps I was never in a building trade, as for handy man, I am very experienced with most diy and qualified domestic electrical, was a backstop idea after being out my offshored IT position for a couple of years.