House Price Crash Forum

The Media Portrayal Of The Unemployed

HOLA441
Guest Noodle

Hard work and determinatin etc buy you a lottery ticket.

No hard work, no determination = no chance of winning.

Hard work, determination = lottery ticket bought.

Still a lottery.

It is. It is. I mean. It actually, actually is. A lottery. That's true too. But some of us don't do ourselves any favours (i.e., me) . . . yes. :wacko:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Are you genuinely too thick to take this thinking to the next level and accept for one second the luck in being born with the right genes to give you energy, drive, motivation, determination, intelligence etc that you demostrate so well

Wow how politically incorrect of you, I thought now days everyone was supposed to be the same. Are you saying there is some sort of master race with better genes that make them superior to the average person?

The reason I resist this illusion of "luck", is because people use it as an excuse for not working hard or not trying. In England is it quite common to hate people who have nice things, scratch expensive cars etc. It is so much easier to blame luck for lack of success, rather than admit to ones self that they have not tried as hard.

HOLA443

the economy is people.

people MAKE the economy.

sitting around waiting for a job, in reality, means you die.

you dont want to die...so you do something with your time...you start to create...you begin MAKING the economy.

you dont NEED someone else to give you a job.

As with all propoganda there is some truth to what you are saying. But the really good businesses that pay big time money you cannot just get into. You can't just start a railroad or an electric utility or a steel mill. Those are the type of industries that can pay big time wages, full benefits, pensions, generous promotions and raises.

The new businesses are like shoe shine boys. You might be able to eek out a living, until other shoe shine boys show up.

HOLA444

It is. It is. I mean. It actually, actually is. A lottery. That's true too. But some of us don't do ourselves any favours (i.e., me) . . . yes. :wacko:

Sure, you can burn some of your tickets and that's not the best move.....

For me, i'd first check that people bought their tickets before writing them off wholesale and sticking them in workhouses. ;p

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

For me, i'd first check that people bought their tickets before writing them off wholesale and sticking them in workhouses. ;p

Mush. I've no idea what any of that means. But it sounds right.

Like an idiot I had a Cornetto (strawberry) earlier and it's gone straight to my head. :wacko:

HOLA446

... being born with the right genes to give you energy, drive, motivation, determination, intelligence etc ...

o for the love of darwin not another one. I see Bowman got his barmy posts pulled.

Why not go the whole hog and call it "animal spirits"?

Or give credit to the animal totems of the otherworld?

Does anybody on this site have the faintest ******ing idea what genes actually do ?

[ed: tag-*****ery]

Edited by Wario

HOLA447

Just to clarify, would it be wrong to get people on benefits to do the gardens of those who pay their benefits? What about paint their walls? etc

So what is it you do Injin, do tell.

HOLA448

Anyone can have short periods in their life being unemployed, some more than one....change is good, opportunities come from a crisis...the major crime of our recent governments is to have allowed long term unemployment....to have sat back and to have ignored the able young men and women....in effect paying them to be quiet and compliant, very hard to climb out of a hole when you have lived in it for so long, this behaviour can spread over generations....the forgotten unemployable unemployed. :(

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

o for the love of darwin not another one. I see Bowman got his barmy posts pulled.

Does anybody on this site have the faintest ******ing idea what genes actually do ?

They chaffe my nuts.

HOLA4410

Just to clarify, would it be wrong to get people on benefits to do the gardens of those who pay their benefits? What about paint their walls? etc

Yes it would.

There shouldn't be any benefits.

So what is it you do Injin, do tell.

Generally, whatever I want.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

[ed: tag-*****ery]

Genes was a catch all term, probably incorrectly used but the point remains. Is every baby born identical in all abilities. And if so do they all get equal upbringing and opportunity?

If not, should we do anything to give those less fortunate a help up?

HOLA4414

Genes was a catch all term, probably incorrectly used but the point remains. Is every baby born identical in all abilities. And if so do they all get equal upbringing and opportunity?

Genes form a very small part of humans and particualrly human success.

We largely live through our ideas and skills, and those are learned, not given at birth.

HOLA4415

Nope.

Did you see my bit about stealing being wrong?

No, I tend to scroll past your posts. So what is it you do that gets money, you know that thing that doesnt exist that you buy things with?

No, because that would be patronising. Just like it is for Africa and other such countries.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

No, I tend to scroll past your posts.

Your loss.

So what is it you do that gets money, you know that thing that doesnt exist that you buy things with?

Not a lot.

Spent two days this week building walls. Not much need to do a great deal with no rent or mortgage to pay.

:)

HOLA4418

The reason I resist this illusion of "luck", is because people use it as an excuse for not working hard or not trying. In England is it quite common to hate people who have nice things, scratch expensive cars etc. It is so much easier to blame luck for lack of success, rather than admit to ones self that they have not tried as hard.

Yes but people are successful because of luck.

Take Cheryl Cole; born into poverty, now earning £hundreds of thousands but had she be born looking like a dogs ****, then no matter how hard she tried she would get nowhere.

At the end of the day, its all to do with how we were born.

If you were born confident, attractive and focused then you are set up for life. If you were born shy, ugly and unsure then your fate is set in stone.

Plenty of people work damn hard with 100% commitment and still get no where.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Your loss.

Not a lot.

Spent two days this week building walls. Not much need to do a great deal with no rent or mortgage to pay.

:)

:) +1 money doesn't motivate everyone...self financing....when you don't owe you don't need money to pay for it. ;)

HOLA4421

If you were born confident, attractive and focused then you are set up for life. If you were born shy, ugly and unsure then your fate is set in stone.

Its not quite as bad as that, but there are studies that outgoing people are luckier than others. And it seems that outgoing people are more likely to be born in the summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3622817.stm

HOLA4422

Take Cheryl Cole; born into poverty, now earning £hundreds of thousands but had she be born looking like a dogs ****, then no matter how hard she tried she would get nowhere.

Hold on a second. I'm sure there are millions of women just as pretty as Cheryl who will never earn anything like as much. She could just have easily have ended up a call girl on drugs. No one can choose to be pretty, or to be intelligent. Your genes give you a genetic predisposition to something, but that is all it is , a tendency to be able to do something, a chance. Some people will take that chance and make something of it, others will waste it.

HOLA4423

+1

You can get things in this life from hard work, or from luck, mostly you get them from a combination of hard work AND luck.

Anyone who denies the existence of luck is someone who is either ignorant and arrogant, or who has had the good fortune to

not yet be unlucky. Not yet anyway...their time will come!

Oh.....but you're wrong about Cheryl...shes really really really talented and I really really really love her....

HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

Hold on a second. I'm sure there are millions of women just as pretty as Cheryl who will never earn anything like as much. She could just have easily have ended up a call girl on drugs. No one can choose to be pretty, or to be intelligent. Your genes give you a genetic predisposition to something, but that is all it is , a tendency to be able to do something, a chance. Some people will take that chance and make something of it, others will waste it.

Give it time Johnny, give it time.

Some bird called Sophie Something did that no?

HOLA4425

And from your own mouth you disprove your own argument...Cheryl got lucky...