House Price Crash Forum
Boom Boom

The Media Portrayal Of The Unemployed

Just once I'd like a fair portrayal of unemployed people. Not a programme that seeks out wilful troglodytes, or the emotionally disturbed, nor the intellectually subnormal. I want a programme produced that shows that many hundreds of thousands of unemployed people are victims of wider economic conditions, and not louche couch potatoes living it up on the state. It's amazing how quickly people can summon up a torrent of indignation to condemn those in receipt of crumbs from the table, but seem unable to work themselves into the same high dudgeon about corporate welfare and the banking industry.

Guest Noodle

Just once I'd like a fair portrayal of unemployed people. Not a programme that seeks out wilful troglodytes, or the emotionally disturbed, nor the intellectually subnormal. I want a programme produced that shows that many hundreds of thousands of unemployed people are victims of wider economic conditions, and not louche couch potatoes living it up on the state. It's amazing how quickly people can summon up a torrent of indignation to condemn those in receipt of crumbs from the table, but seem unable to work themselves into the same high dudgeon about corporate welfare and the banking industry.

Good idea.

Send it to Channel 4.

It's amazing how quickly people can summon up a torrent of indignation to condemn those in receipt of crumbs from the table, but seem unable to work themselves into the same high dudgeon about corporate welfare and the banking industry.

It's not quantum rockets to figure out they're terrified, is it ?

Hapless strivers seeking to accentuate the absolute lack of distance between themselves and the ghouls in The Abyss. They secretly know it's hell on earth.

In their nightmares they find themselves in that world, and wake up screaming.

And then they write to the Daily Mail.

The rich are barely aware of the existence of any of them.

Edited by Wario

Exactly.. it would scare the heck out of the masses if they realized if they lost their current good job there is quite a good chance they'll never replace it. They are one downsizing notice away from joining the long term unemployed. They might even demand change to a society where you aren't at so much risk of falling so far.

But the media shroud of silence on the real job situation is delaying finding a solution. I fear a solution might not come until a majority of the working age population is out of work. Right now 1 in 3 working age adults is not in work. But some of those are by choice.

However even when a majority of the population is out of work, the media can still influence them. By making it seem like they are the only one suffering, that they are an isolated case, and most importantly that the situation is the person's fault.. not the fault of society.

Edited by aa3

However even when a majority of the population is out of work, the media can still influence them. By making it seem like they are the only one suffering, that they are an isolated case, and most importantly that the situation is the person's fault.. not the fault of society.

Isnt it the persons fault? If you havent worked to keep your skills up to date, and then find the skills you do have are no longer wanted. Is that societies fault or yours?

Did society make someone do a worthless degree that doesnt lead to a job?

Peoples lives are shaped by themselves, its very easy to blame others but ultimately you make your own life through the choices you make everyday.

Isnt it the persons fault? If you havent worked to keep your skills up to date, and then find the skills you do have are no longer wanted. Is that societies fault or yours?

Peoples lives are shaped by themselves, its very easy to blame others but ultimately you make your own life through the choices you make everyday.

Agree. I am sure some just get unlucky. Then again some people just get lucky. Cest La Vie.

Your life is what you make of it. Most people moan because they would rather not face up to the truth. Far easier to blame others for your shortcomings than admit it to yourself.

"It's not my fault I can't get a job"

Yes it is.

Exactly.. it would scare the heck out of the masses if they realized if they lost their current good job there is quite a good chance they'll never replace it. snip

the economy is people.

people MAKE the economy.

sitting around waiting for a job, in reality, means you die.

you dont want to die...so you do something with your time...you start to create...you begin MAKING the economy.

you dont NEED someone else to give you a job.

the economy is people.

people MAKE the economy.

you dont want to die...so you do something with your time...you start to create...you begin MAKING the economy.

A generation ago it was possible to find a job in a local factory that would enable you to support a family in a decent house.

Nowadays those factories are all shut down so you have a whole generation of people who would previously happily undertaken manual work left in an entirely service driven economy.

If you do find a job it will be minimum wage and will likely to lead to a situation whereby you'd be no better off, if not worse off, than by not working at all.

It is all very well saying, start your own business, however the complexity of even registering a company, paying tax, producing invoices, working out VAT, annual returns, payroll etc is very off -putting.

It is all very well saying, start your own business, however the complexity of even registering a company, paying tax, producing invoices, working out VAT, annual returns, payroll etc is very off -putting.

If you are easily put off then maybe so. My accountant does all that for £60 a month.

The sort of people who would have worked in a factory should be steered towards a trade, electrician, plumber, plasterer etc People will always need others with those skills.

It's not quantum rockets to figure out they're terrified, is it ?

Hapless strivers seeking to accentuate the absolute lack of distance between themselves and the ghouls in The Abyss. They secretly know it's hell on earth.

In their nightmares they find themselves in that world, and wake up screaming.

And then they write to the Daily Mail.

Good point, hadn't really considered tbh. Always took such attitudes to stem from ignorance and arrogance but I think perhaps you are right.

A generation ago it was possible to find a job in a local factory that would enable you to support a family in a decent house.

Nowadays those factories are all shut down so you have a whole generation of people who would previously happily undertaken manual work left in an entirely service driven economy.

If you do find a job it will be minimum wage and will likely to lead to a situation whereby you'd be no better off, if not worse off, than by not working at all.

to start a business is very simple.

you say, to yourself...im in business.

If you want ltd, you pay £50 to a off the shelf company maker, or you pop into staples and buy a kit for £10 plus the fees.

Invoices are bits of paper with your name on.

VAT....you probably dont even need to register if your turnover is below whatever the limit is..60K??

If you are going to turn that, then £100 for Sage Instant accounting makes VAT a piece of piss.

Payroll??? christ on a bike.....

Yeah that's right all those Germans in 1923 should have gone self-employed, bloody depressions eh?

If only the Kaiser had started a Bach to Arbeit scheme!

If you are going to turn that, then £100 for Sage Instant accounting makes VAT a piece of piss.

Payroll??? christ on a bike.....

That's not the problem...the problem is finding some sort of market niche enough not to be scooped up by the big companies, yet big enough to survive on.

You say all of the above which means you are looking at a perfect competition market where there are no barriers to entry at all and everybody can do it....

So what are such niches and industries?

Window cleaning? I already have 4 window cleaners knocking on my door asking me for biz.

Maintenance? I already have 20+ tradesmen leaflets drop through my letter box along with nail techies, tree surgeons (tree isn't even mine), plasterers, decorators, hair dressers, string hair removal. Hair colouring, vehicle maintainance, tyre fitters, scrappers, rag and bone men. Etc

In perfect competition i.e. no entry barriers nobody makes any money as it is all competed away down to nothing. In the 1960s-1980s hot food places 1/2 per town many percity.. By 2010 there are 20+ per town. Chesterfield when I spent some of my youth off my head I can remember there being 4 Chippies in cycling distance, today there are 11 of them. An increase of over 100% The population hasn't increased by 100% though so the slice of the pie decreases in size.

So there are 4 window cleaners, they make an ok living right? I cram in, the pie does not increase I have to steal from those 4 cleaners business. Another one comes in and another until one thinks sack this and leaves the industry. Meaning there are still 4 window cleaners and 1 unemployed, exactly as before.

So when unemployment figures go up it's got nothing to do with the economy, it's just people changing their attitude?

I would like to see a program about the graduates who are coming out of university and finding that they can't find work in their chosen subject.

I'm not talking about people who are studying music design and technology or media studies or something like that.

How about a show about the hundreds of nurses, teachers, child care graduates and would be civil servants etc... who aren't getting any jobs?

The secret story about this period in the UK - that while the number of redundancies is kept low - the intake of new employees is being severly cut.

I'm 28 and I have a lot of friends who are a few years younger and they are for the most part underemployed - under-paid or just plain - on the dole. It's a real shame really!

Systemic unemployment is a side-efect of the fact that resources people might use to freely employ themselves (land) have been taken / monopolised into 'ownership' and that the owners are able to use this situation to extract payment without being productive.The distorted incentives for owners mean resources are held by unproductive owners for reasons other than production and so there is less production and less employment

Edited by Stars

the economy is people.

people MAKE the economy.

Agree with you there....the problem is not everyone is capable in doing that, they may start then give up, do not have the motivation, energy, belief or craving for success.......not only that red tape, bureaucracy, health and safety, and the new pathetic crb checks so many hurdles to jump, puts people off before they even start.....far easier to get a job with the local council if you can, an easier job regular money and more protection.

So when unemployment figures go up it's got nothing to do with the economy, it's just people changing their attitude?

Yep, economic depressions are caused by 'lowly types' not looking hard enough in local newspapers :lol:

If you are easily put off then maybe so. My accountant does all that for £60 a month.

The sort of people who would have worked in a factory should be steered towards a trade, electrician, plumber, plasterer etc People will always need others with those skills.

Yes, but nowadays many of those trades are done on a self employed basis....few companies take people on full time, too costly so they are employed as sub contract short term, they have to pay their own taxes, no paid holidays and sick pay...must be a nightmare when you have regular rent/mortgage and other bills to pay, not including all the regular bills a self employed person has to pay....little help from the government for people that want to try and help themselves.

From what I can see you are more secure having your rent, CT and other benefits paid if you have a family, than try to do something about it and being thrown to the wolves..........just think of all the forms to fill out...the benefit systems are too complicated and don't encourage anyone to have a go....too much to lose....better to keep doing what they are doing :(

Guest Noodle

Yep, economic depressions are caused by 'lowly types' not looking hard enough in local newspapers :lol:

:lol:

the economy is people.

people MAKE the economy.

Disagree.

To create enough wealth to survive from a business and afford somewhere to live you have to be quite skilled in todays world of big globalized companies, health and safety, regulation, insurance, high running costs and labour liability.

So whilst I can make a few quid here and there tax free/black market, it is a minuscule amount compared to the cost of living.

People do need people to give them jobs; 80% of the population do not have the skills of commitment/investment/forward thinking/determination to make a successful business.

This is human nature. You have leaders and you have followers.

Remember also there is still surplus cash out there. When that starts to shrink all these nice little businesses will be no more. Try going back to 1930's America and starting your own business back then.

Simple minded nonsense typical of the free marketeers on here, they have no idea about life, and even less idea about economics and the marketplace.

Simple minded nonsense typical of the free marketeers on here, they have no idea about life, and even less idea about economics and the marketplace.

Really? Whats your solution? I hope it doesnt involve stealing the money I earn by being so simple to give to those who dont want to work.

Really? Whats your solution? I hope it doesnt involve stealing the money I earn by being so simple to give to those who dont want to work.

Simplistic again..you have replied to my point not with an explanation of your views but with a question.

I did it. I have a life.

times are good, times are bad.