House Price Crash Forum

Taliban Claim To Have Captured Missing Us Soldiers In Ambush

Woot

HOLA441
A massive air and ground search is under way for two missing US soldiers the Taliban claim to have captured after a battle with the insurgents in eastern Afghanistan.

The US military has offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to the safe release of the men, who are thought to have been seized in the province of Logar, south of Kabul.

The soldiers were tracked and ambushed in a shoot-out by Taliban fighters as they drove through the dangerous Charkh district in an armoured vehicle on Friday, according to Afghan district chief Samar Gul.

He said: "They stopped in the main bazaar of Charkh district. The Taliban saw them in the bazaar. They didn't touch them in the bazaar, but notified other Taliban that a four-wheel-drive vehicle was coming their way"

The second group of Taliban tried to stop the vehicle but opened fire when it did not halt, prompting its two occupants to shoot back, said Gul, who added that he believed one of the Americans may have been killed. A Nato official said he did not know if that was true. Another official, speaking on condition of anonymity, would not say whether the soldiers' trip was sanctioned or whether they had gone somewhere they were not supposed to.

"They didn't pay any attention to the police. Otherwise we could have kept them from going into an insecure area and now this unfortunate incident has happened," he said.

Hmmm...

HOLA442
Guest Noodle

Hmmm...

WOWZZERS!!! A full $20,000 (twenty thousand dollars and zero cents) of printed money!

Shows how much a soldier is worth then. About £6578.94 each.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Why aren't troops chipped with trackers?

I was thinking that. Thought it sounded like a good idea. Then I realised it would be a horrific plan. It would become common knowledge. Squaddies are not all the sharpest tools in the box. The Taliban would know they have trackers on them. They don't seem to generally give a toss about human life or sufferering. They have knives. They like to use them. They know you have a tracker somewhere on your body....

Not worth thinking about.

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

I was thinking that. Thought it sounded like a good idea. Then I realised it would be a horrific plan. It would become common knowledge. Squaddies are not all the sharpest tools in the box. The Taliban would know they have trackers on them. They don't seem to generally give a toss about human life or sufferering. They have knives. They like to use them. They know you have a tracker somewhere on your body....

Not worth thinking about.

Yes quite. Be a disaster.

But there are very small emergency homing beacons available, wrist watch types. Can switch on if problem.

HOLA4413

Yes quite. Be a disaster.

But there are very small emergency homing beacons available, wrist watch types. Can switch on if problem.

I suppose they have though about all this. I imagine once captured they are stripped and everything they have removed as a matter of course ? That is what I would do.

Archived