House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mighty Douche

R.i.p Hurricane Higgins

Defective genome, his father will have died at the same age.

You could eliminate most human defects by making it illegal to have children before the age of seventy.

Nope. Although his last photo was. <_<

Indeed.

However it does show us the incredible toughness of the human body.

61 years, treating it like shit and abusing daily ?

Pretty impressive going to last 61 years.

Are there any "characters" left in snooker these days?

I think I last watched snooker when Joe Johnson won the world title, so I've no idea who's playing today.

It's a shame to see him go, but I can't help thinking he was a complete muppet. Does an intelligent person drink and smoke themselves into oblivion?

Oh well, RIP.

Guest Noodle

It's a shame to see him go, but I can't help thinking he was a complete muppet. Does an intelligent person drink and smoke themselves into oblivion?

Oh well, RIP.

My most intelligentist friend is a smoker. He's also a GP.

I still smoke. Still. With the price out here at <90p a pack or if I go to Phnom Penh USD$3.50 a carton of 200, it just seems a much cheaper than a pension.

Well sure, as a pension beater.... it can't be beat. Except by outright suicide maybe.

But actually let's be frank. Death by smoking or drinking is going to be extremely unpleasant and painful. Cancer doesn't take it's victims peacefully or with dignity. It's a slow death, for the afflicted and the close relatives.

I used to smoke myself. For around ten years. I had the same thoughts about checking out before old age. I didn't think I'd make thirty. I seriously believed that, and behaved accordingly. I abused alcohol to a stupid level.

But eventually I wised up. I don't want to die a horrific death. Sorry, but a GP who smokes has to be short of a few brain cells. Die young if you wish, but not like that. I suppose a lot of people have experience of cancer, so they know the score. I learnt a lot from my wife, whose mother and previous husband died of cancer. When I hear the details I know without doubt that I don't want to die like that.

First the fatigue and pain, then maybe some paralysis, then the treatment starts to give you a few more months. The treatment itself makes you feel like hell. Gradually your brain is affected too. Your mind gets twisted. You don't recognise your own family, and you might behave inappropriately with medical staff in a sexual way.

Keep smoking and you don't just risk inflicting a horrible death on yourself. You stand a good chance of making your loved ones suffer with you, perhaps more than you.

But that's your choice isn't it.

Sorry to be so serious. But the bottom line is that companies are making money out of you by peddling poison. It's a travesty so many drugs are illegal but nicotine isn't.

Guest Noodle

Well sure, as a pension beater.... it can't be beat. Except by outright suicide maybe.

But actually let's be frank. Death by smoking or drinking is going to be extremely unpleasant and painful. Cancer doesn't take it's victims peacefully or with dignity. It's a slow death, for the afflicted and the close relatives.

I used to smoke myself. For around ten years. I had the same thoughts about checking out before old age. I didn't think I'd make thirty. I seriously believed that, and behaved accordingly. I abused alcohol to a stupid level.

But eventually I wised up. I don't want to die a horrific death. Sorry, but a GP who smokes has to be short of a few brain cells. Die young if you wish, but not like that. I suppose a lot of people have experience of cancer, so they know the score. I learnt a lot from my wife, whose mother and previous husband died of cancer. When I hear the details I know without doubt that I don't want to die like that.

First the fatigue and pain, then maybe some paralysis, then the treatment starts to give you a few more months. The treatment itself makes you feel like hell. Gradually your brain is affected too. Your mind gets twisted. You don't recognise your own family, and you might behave inappropriately with medical staff in a sexual way.

Keep smoking and you don't just risk inflicting a horrible death on yourself. You stand a good chance of making your loved ones suffer with you, perhaps more than you.

But that's your choice isn't it.

Sorry to be so serious. But the bottom line is that companies are making money out of you by peddling poison. It's a travesty so many drugs are illegal but nicotine isn't.

I never smoke round the kids or anywhere it bothers other people. I have a thing about litter too.

I was never a juicer. Can't stand the stuff. But bloat n' smoke have been terrible personal failings. The bloat bit is all but gone and the smoking . . . who am I kidding I love smoking. This is the problem. I did give it up for 5 years. I really need to again, you are right.

I will have to in the UK. £6.50 a pack ain't happnin'.

Oh well, RIP.

why? would he live forever if he lived in a cotton wool world and prayed for his sins to be relieved every day?

I will have to in the UK. £6.50 a pack ain't happnin'.

The 200 you can bring in duty free would last a while, if you're careful. I f you're like me though, it was 'all or nothing.' I had to give up completely, but I have friends who smoke only when in the pub or at w/ends, and not from Mon - Fri. Bizarre or self-control?

Edit: Or should I say, 'at' or 'outside' the pub.

Guest Noodle

The 200 you can bring in duty free would last a while, if you're careful. I f you're like me though, it was 'all or nothing.' I had to give up completely, but I have friends who smoke only when in the pub or at w/ends, and not from Mon - Fri. Bizarre or self-control?

I did it that way before, just stopped. No bother.

I thought it was 400? Or was it 200 cartons, can't remember.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Nope. Although his last photo was. dry.gif

Yes. He was 'dead man walking', IMO. I don't know what was keeping him going.sad.gif

Charismatic guy, somehow reminds me a bit of Keith Floyd....lovable rogues.....lived life to the full, sod the consequences ;)

But actually let's be frank. Death by smoking or drinking is going to be extremely unpleasant and painful. Cancer doesn't take it's victims peacefully or with dignity. It's a slow death, for the afflicted and the close relatives.<

While I agree with what you are saying, and know it makes sense, I sometimes wonder what people who think like this imagine they will die from. Having watched it take my Father, I can assure you that dying from Prostate Cancer isn't exactly a barrel of laughs either.

Guest Noodle

While I agree with what you are saying, and know it makes sense, I sometimes wonder what people who think like this imagine they will die from. Having watched it take my Father, I can assure you that dying from Prostate Cancer isn't exactly a barrel of laughs either.

Lost the old boy in 08 to oesophageal cancer, spread everywhere. Even to his brain. The morning he died his eyeball was being pushed out of it's socket by the tumor, the doc couldn't close that eye once he died.

It's just a matter of preference of course. But there's questionable logic on display here.

The point I'm making is... it may be wise to try and avoid a painful slow death, and also avoid giving your money to those who sell you poison.

Stating "we all die of something in the end anyway" doesn't cut it. It's like saying "I have to spend my money on housing anyway, so why not give it to a Foxtons estate agent selling an overpriced newbuild piece of shit". Is that acceptable thinking to you?

Usually a load of excuses come out when the smoking and drinking subject comes up. I'm not judging anyone because I'm not affected by your actions really anyway. If someone wants to risk lung cancer because "they may die of another cancer some day anyway", well that's up to them. I don't smoke anymore, but I still drink. I may be damaging my health, and that is stupid of me. But I admit the stupidity of it.

I think the truth is smoking should never have been legal in the first place, and shouldn't be now. Yes, that's radical and unworkable.

But come on, you know it's true :P

ps-actually I told a porky there. When I see someone smoking now, I do wonder what the hell is going through their mind. Sorry.

It's just a matter of preference of course. But there's questionable logic on display here.

The point I'm making is... it may be wise to try and avoid a painful slow death, and also avoid giving your money to those who sell you poison.

Stating "we all die of something in the end anyway" doesn't cut it. It's like saying "I have to spend my money on housing anyway, so why not give it to a Foxtons estate agent selling an overpriced newbuild piece of shit". Is that acceptable thinking to you?

Usually a load of excuses come out when the smoking and drinking subject comes up. I'm not judging anyone because I'm not affected by your actions really anyway. If someone wants to risk lung cancer because "they may die of another cancer some day anyway", well that's up to them. I don't smoke anymore, but I still drink. I may be damaging my health, and that is stupid of me. But I admit the stupidity of it.

I think the truth is smoking should never have been legal in the first place, and shouldn't be now. Yes, that's radical and unworkable.

But come on, you know it's true  :P

ps-actually I told a porky there. When I see someone smoking now, I do wonder what the hell is going through their mind. Sorry.

Not sure if it is my logic that you are calling questionable. After all, I agree with what you are saying. I guess my point is what form of death do you envisage, that will not be slow and painful.

Not sure if it is my logic that you are calling questionable. After all, I agree with what you are saying. I guess my point is what form of death do you envisage, that will not be slow and painful.

1998-09-11.gif

This thread has drifted a bit.

What a life, well done Alex for all the entertainment you brought. Alex and Dave Allen made being a heavy drinking and smoking Irishman the height of cool in the late 70s.

Guest Noodle

This thread has drifted a bit.

What a life, well done Alex for all the entertainment you brought. Alex and Dave Allen made being a heavy drinking and smoking Irishman the height of cool in the late 70s.

Ummmmm . . . Frank!

It's the OT, we can talk about whatever we like old boy.

Best threads are those that grow organically.