House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Rising Divorce Rate Is Linked To The Economic Recovery

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1297237/Rising-divorce-rate-linked-economic-recovery.html

The easing of the recession has spelled the end for thousands of marriages, lawyers said yesterday.

They believe a divorce boom is on the way because warring husbands and wives can again afford the costs of dividing their property and paying legal bills.

The number of couples finalising divorces has gone up by six per cent in the last three months, from 28,600 to 30,400, the Pannone law firm said.

The trend runs counter to years in which married couples have increasingly opted to stay together.

Divorce rates are currently at their lowest levels since the 1970s.

Andrew Newbury, a partner in Pannone, said: 'Husbands and wives have been telling us that they felt they simply couldn't afford to break up during the last two years. They were often living under the same roof, both knowing that their marriages had no future in the medium-term, let alone well into the future.

Some of those couples had come to us before the recession to initiate proceedings but then decided not to continue as the economic picture worsened.

'They now believe the upturn in their financial circumstances has provided what they believe to be the right moment for them to make a break.'

He said colleagues in other law firms were reporting similar increases in clients looking for divorce.

Among factors that could be persuading couples to go through with a divorce are greater job security and more confidence that property will maintain its value and, if necessary, sell.

The divorce recovery.

This is property ramping like I've never seen before, house values are going up so you can now afford to get divorced.

So marriage breakdown is now seen as a good economic indicator.

Straws clutching at?

This is fascinating.... it is almost as if the journos who write the house prices always rise articles have found their way over to the divorce notices.

If anything, the economy us more uncertain since the election now that 600,000 public sector workers are about to go - if anything I would imagine that people will stick together longer if it is because of poor finances....

But what we have talked about on here long and often is that the real reason is because things are getting bad and are about to get worse... if you have been living on the never never and MEWing in the boom then the chickens are about to come home... especially with job losses...

And I suspect some partners will be looking to get out now with something from the house and possibly the redundancy payment to one or both partners.

In short, I suspect divorce rates are on the rise but not for the reasons in the article.

This is fascinating.... it is almost as if the journos who write the house prices always rise articles have found their way over to the divorce notices.

If anything, the economy us more uncertain since the election now that 600,000 public sector workers are about to go - if anything I would imagine that people will stick together longer if it is because of poor finances....

But what we have talked about on here long and often is that the real reason is because things are getting bad and are about to get worse... if you have been living on the never never and MEWing in the boom then the chickens are about to come home... especially with job losses...

And I suspect some partners will be looking to get out now with something from the house and possibly the redundancy payment to one or both partners.

In short, I suspect divorce rates are on the rise but not for the reasons in the article.

I understand from Womans Hour (not sure if its still on) that money and debt is the biggest cause of Marital Disharmony....Huge Debt in the personal sector, dual income 5 times mortgages, job losses, wage freezes, rising food prices, rising energy costs....the squeeze is starting to bite.

As I may have said many times here, when it starts to go wrong, your house price is the last thing on your mind. House prices are "feelgood" things.

All that in three months, before that they were really deep in recessionous love. :wub:

Now times are getting better I can divorce the cow :ph34r:

What a wonderfully one sided view of things...:rolleyes:

I understand from Womans Hour (not sure if its still on) that money and debt is the biggest cause of Marital Disharmony....Huge Debt in the personal sector, dual income 5 times mortgages, job losses, wage freezes, rising food prices, rising energy costs....the squeeze is starting to bite.

As I may have said many times here, when it starts to go wrong, your house price is the last thing on your mind. House prices are "feelgood" things.

Yes, it will be interesting how the divorce rate rises in line with the increase in unemployment queues and the drop in house prices.

Wish it would hurry up though.

The phoney war is over.

The real recession is about to start.

Bring it on………Lance the boil. Yes, there will be blood and gore, but it will heal eventually and we can all start again with a more level playing field.

The alternative…ie QE, false IR's…..just results in a long, lingering pestering infection.

(I rather like this analogy….must be getting poetic in me old age smile.gif )

The phoney war is over.

The real recession is about to start.

Bring it on………Lance the boil. Yes, there will be blood and gore, but it will heal eventually and we can all start again with a more level playing field.

The alternative…ie QE, false IR's…..just results in a long, lingering pestering infection.

(I rather like this analogy….must be getting poetic in me old age smile.gif )

What kind of poetry do you read? I read about dreams, getting myself to England once again, there still being honey for tea.

What kind of poetry do you read? I read about dreams, getting myself to England once again, there still being honey for tea.

Don't forget he ginger beer and long walks with Timmy.