House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Loblaw

Periodic Tenancy Agreement

Does anyone know the rules on periodic tenancy agreements? In particular, I signed a six month AST then let this become a periodic tenancy agreement. I was under the impression I could give one months notice at any time rather than having to put the notice in to fit in with the original AST payment schedule.

ie:

Rent is due monthly from 14th of each month under the terms of the AST

After the AST expires (and I have been on a periodic agreement for 2 years now) I gave notice on the 5th of July which would mean I would pay rent up to the 4th of August and not the 13th of August.

I am in a dispute with my Letting Agent as they took an apportioned payment from the 14th July until the 4th August but are now demanding I pay for the 5th August to the 13th of August period.

Does anyone know the rules on periodic tenancy agreements? In particular, I signed a six month AST then let this become a periodic tenancy agreement. I was under the impression I could give one months notice at any time rather than having to put the notice in to fit in with the original AST payment schedule.

ie:

Rent is due monthly from 14th of each month under the terms of the AST

After the AST expires (and I have been on a periodic agreement for 2 years now) I gave notice on the 5th of July which would mean I would pay rent up to the 4th of August and not the 13th of August.

I am in a dispute with my Letting Agent as they took an apportioned payment from the 14th July until the 4th August but are now demanding I pay for the 5th August to the 13th of August period.

They are right. The word periodic refers to the period starting from the anniversary date in the month. You can give a months notice anytime but it applies from the next 14th of the month in your case.