House Price Crash Forum
Tin Foil Hat

Dealing With Micromanagers Project Managers?

I've got one now - meddles in needless details, marks your work instead of managing the project etc. Very controlling of your time blah blah.

How to deal with her is my question. Lots on the net about "working with them to meet their agenda whatever it is" but frankly I can't be arsed with all that. She's working for a firm contracted by the NHS to provide resource to bump up the numbers of people to get these projects done and I strongly suspect that they are told to apply the ridiculously bureaucratic methods to the n'th degree to appease our stupid bosses and to string out the projects thus keeping a "need" for their company to provide extra resources.

Currently I've been bombarded with supplying additional reports so she can pretend to know what's going on at board meetings and has run through a chunk of my work writing stupid little notes in about things which I may or may not have got 100% right tellimg me to complete tables which repeat information already mentioned in papers etc. All in all a nitpicking pain in the butt.

Anyone got any good techinques to get micromanagers out of your hair?

Things I've found:

1. Work with them USA corporate butt-kissing style to keep them "on-side" and look for another job.

2. Work against them by supplying minimal information to force them to expend more energy finding things out for themselves.

3. Achieve a balance by overloading them with managerial requests for project plans, briefs, updates in the same manner they bother you to try and teach them to back off. A Pavlovian conditioning approach to teach them that if they bother you, you will bother them.

So, any other serious ways to deal with them, not involving Aneros, murder or anything else which is batty.

Cheers,

TFH

Edit: Just noticed this is main forum and not in off topic. Maybe will get better replies here for a bit though?

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

Match them , play the corporate bull sh-t game as good as them and don't let them know that you are mucking about.

Talk as much bull sh-t as you can , bussiness speak use the terms such as, balanced view, roll out , network , bussiness neads, hands on approach, back on the tools, goabal platform, in the loop , touch base, . There are loads and loads of these terms, speak them all the time . Make it look as if your whole life revolves around the job and you love it. Also try using as many three letter abbriviations as you can for titles instead of saying hospital information form it becomes HIF , say them often and fast .

Be very upbeat and talk upbeat at all times. Then you can move on pretend to be very very interested in what they have to say and keep questioning their statements , not in an abrupt and confrotational manner but as if you are interested and want to know everything as you love it doing this job. If you engage with them and take an interest if they do not know what they are doing and what is what they will back off as they do not want to let you know they know jack s-it.

Always pretend to be interested and up beat , they can never accuse you off having an attitude problem , bull sh-t works and speaking sh-t can as well .

So, any other serious ways to deal with them, not involving Aneros, murder or anything else which is batty.

The only way I've ever worked with managers (good or bad) is this:

Find out what they need to do to justify their job, and help them achieve this.

Only worry about your job insofar as it affects theirs.

Match them , play the corporate bull sh-t game as good as them and don't let them know that you are mucking about.

Talk as much bull sh-t as you can , bussiness speak use the terms such as, balanced view, roll out , network , bussiness neads, hands on approach, back on the tools, goabal platform, in the loop , touch base, . There are loads and loads of these terms, speak them all the time . Make it look as if your whole life revolves around the job and you love it. Also try using as many three letter abbriviations as you can for titles instead of saying hospital information form it becomes HIF , say them often and fast .

Be very upbeat and talk upbeat at all times. Then you can move on pretend to be very very interested in what they have to say and keep questioning their statements , not in an abrupt and confrotational manner but as if you are interested and want to know everything as you love it doing this job. If you engage with them and take an interest if they do not know what they are doing and what is what they will back off as they do not want to let you know they know jack s-it.

Always pretend to be interested and up beat , they can never accuse you off having an attitude problem , bull sh-t works and speaking sh-t can as well .

lol.. love the above highlights, reminds me of life at work. it does work though.

...by far the safest option. It's a technique that works.. think about it. you want to make them successful..by consequence you should also be successful

Edited by magneticworld

Look for anything she could get involved in that will keep her busy. Best is something she can screw up badly on and has to sort out herself without involving you.

Make encouraging noises about any projects that will be time consuming for her, preferably ones involving long meetings far away. Abroad is good lots of hours travelling.

Send her on wild goose chases.

If she calls your mobile hit when you don't want to talk red and deny all knowledge. Always complain that you can't hear her properly if she is calling you on the move and you don't like what she is saying/asking for.

Develop and work on your ability to lie with complete conviction.

Use the preview pane to read mails without sending a receipt. 'Accidentally' delete ones you don't like - damn mail filter again...

Hope she gets more people to manage. Sounds like she has too much time per report.

This is stuff I do - I'm sure there's tons of ideas on the web.

Depends.

Yes if you like them and think they will add to the business' bottom line.

No, if they are a jerk. Need to be gone, the sooner the better.

I once went to a meeting where there were five other people. It became apparent over the course of the meeting (1) they were all there to manage me (2) they didn't have any understanding of the work I was doing. Was very annoying at first but eventually they managed to tangle each other up and I just ploughed on as I'd intended prior to their involvement. Worked out OK in the end.

Guest absolutezero

I once went to a meeting where there were five other people. It became apparent over the course of the meeting (1) they were all there to manage me (2) they didn't have any understanding of the work I was doing. Was very annoying at first but eventually they managed to tangle each other up and I just ploughed on as I'd intended prior to their involvement. Worked out OK in the end.

With regard to managers I've found it's best to nod and smile and then get on with doing what you were going to do anyway.

I've got one now - meddles in needless details, marks your work instead of managing the project etc. Very controlling of your time blah blah.

How to deal with her is my question. Lots on the net about "working with them to meet their agenda whatever it is" but frankly I can't be arsed with all that. She's working for a firm contracted by the NHS to provide resource to bump up the numbers of people to get these projects done and I strongly suspect that they are told to apply the ridiculously bureaucratic methods to the n'th degree to appease our stupid bosses and to string out the projects thus keeping a "need" for their company to provide extra resources.

Currently I've been bombarded with supplying additional reports so she can pretend to know what's going on at board meetings and has run through a chunk of my work writing stupid little notes in about things which I may or may not have got 100% right tellimg me to complete tables which repeat information already mentioned in papers etc. All in all a nitpicking pain in the butt.

Things I've found:

1. Work with them USA corporate butt-kissing style to keep them "on-side" and look for another job.

2. Work against them by supplying minimal information to force them to expend more energy finding things out for themselves.

3. Achieve a balance by overloading them with managerial requests for project plans, briefs, updates in the same manner they bother you to try and teach them to back off. A Pavlovian conditioning approach to teach them that if they bother you, you will bother them.

Cheers,

TFH

Edit: Just noticed this is main forum and not in off topic. Maybe will get better replies here for a bit though?

Don't start by playing games; confront the problem instead. Book a meeting with her and lay out your issues in a dispassionate, reasonable fashion and suggest ways that you could work better together to achieve her aims and yours without ongoing resentment and conflict. If that doesn't get you anywhere, then try the game playing approach.

overload the manager.

persuade everyone to forward work, forms, calls, meetings........force the manager to trust & delegate.

make mistakes at the last minute, tie them up, make them look bad, set traps/timebombs for them trip on

Recommended reading: "Wilt", by Tom Sharpe.

In the first book, he's at the bottom of the system, an underdog in a world of red tape. Then he figures out how to work the system.

Things I've found:

Cheers,

TFH

I have similar issues with managers - I think the tactics above are a good starting point. It depends they might be a decent person - who you can have straightforward conversation with also they might be a typical scheming project manager type - who you must play games with.

The problem with in my opinion Project Managers because they are used to just managing- is often when it comes down to they are just lazy and they want to delegate their job to everyone else - so they don'r have to do anything - They should really be working with you to create these notes etc - so you can discuss the issue, and be talking from the same hymn sheet - instead of just leaving it to you, and then she takes it along to a meeting.

My approach would be is when she asks for this type of information - force her to input information, discuss the issues, send emails documenting questions, setup meeting requests. do not be fobbed off with being told to speak to other people - force her to input and do some work with you. It might actually help her perform her job better and make you work better together..

This is the problem many managers don't want to do anything - other than the bare minimum - and spend most of there time leaching knowledge of harder working colleagues. So as you stated always keep information to minimum with them. Its not always their fault because they many of hands off, and spend most of their time at meetings, and do nothing hands on - so therefore they don't really have a feel for what is actually happening in the project - and they rely on good quality information.

For truly crap micro managing nasty project managers they should be treated liked mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed shit.

Although by the sounds of it - she may try to worm out of inputting anything.

Don't start by playing games; confront the problem instead. Book a meeting with her and lay out your issues in a dispassionate, reasonable fashion and suggest ways that you could work better together to achieve her aims and yours without ongoing resentment and conflict.

she'll possibly look at you funny and think you're a crazy person, too much challenge to her world view, maybe

after that, the matrix will know you have found out, and all the agents will be out to get you

Edited by Si1

Thanks for the replies. Seems a variance on how to manage the micromanager.

Firstly I'm thinking top of the shop is looking for another job; mine is with the a NHS department which is nice to have but not essential and it's 90% guaranteed to get the chop - there's 40% redundancies coming to the organisation in the short term and the rest coming as they kill the SHA's and PCT's. This could be the push I need as I have to question if waiting for a redundo payout is worth it given that it means there's a flood of people with similar skill sets when the cull happens (although mine is better though being a current health care professional as well so less worries there).

Second is managing the short term working life. My boss doesn't know the business we're in and as such just seems to see the ridiculously bloated process we go through as being "something which is better then nothing" so it's fair to assume he will just see it all as necessary. It's beyond influence due to internal politics. Anyway I need a reference so ticking the boss's boxes is needed to achieve the first objective. He will see it all as necessary so I will have to toe the nutter PM's line yet temper it with some common sense.

Third is the underlayer of mischief. Nothing's free, and dicking me, my time and my work around is more expensive than she can afford (hehe I think I'm getting my mojo back having had the red mist of rage for 24hours).

So ladies and gents, methods of michief are required. I'll try dipping my toe in the water of reasoning with the PM but she is a proper mental bird. I won't go too deep or open as then it will uncover the mischief or at lease arouse suspicion.

Overload is an easy one.

Requesting their deliverables and updates as the PM is another.

If she wants to mark my work and assume a QA role, then give her everything and leave traps in it.

Ok, got to go, back soon - look forward to some good suggestions coming from the HPC collective. The watchwords are subtlety, plausible deniability and ninja.

she'll possibly look at you funny and think you're a crazy person, too much challenge to her world view, maybe

after that, the matrix will know you have found out, and all the agents will be out to get you

Entirely possible and quite likely even - however, sometimes this approach can work (it certainly has for me) and, even if it doesn't, you come away feeling like you did the right thing before starting on the devious approaches. There's a lot to be said for holding the moral high ground.

The SHE is enough to work it out.

She is a bird. Therefore she is ******ed in the head and mental. Run away.

I had to read this twice!

You're the permie working for the NHS and some outsider gets plonked in above you to manage you??

Somebody's giving you some disrespect there matey.

I think you already knew what to do, before you sought confirmation here.

Always stay calm, and *leave* on your own best terms.

You gotta go. I did. Been there.

Also, if you want to be considered as particularly knowledgeable and important, you should mention the word 'cloud' a few times in converstions with her (or anyone).

Ok- this will get me in a LOT of trouble- but check for a monthly cycle to the thing- if it's there at least that will give you some warning of the peaks.

I worked with someone who had OCD and PMT and the one fed the other in a fairly predictable way. She was not a bad person, but was seriously messed up on so many levels.

Weirdly a guy I worked with had been at her last company and he told me that an entire department had walked off the job in protest at her style of management- apparently a regional head had turned up to find the office empty and the Pub full :lol:

The only leverage you have is her need to deliver and the best way to use that is to allow her attempts to clog the system to succeed, to the point where they become her problem and not yours.

Email is your friend- I made a point of effectively documenting the entire process by emailing just about everything- I would even email precis of conversations I had just had, to ensure they got documented.

Be carefull- this one cost me my job because she got under my skin and I lost it in a meeting- It was when she said that my 'attitiude' was causing her emotional stress at work, and I replied something like ' But the whole company can't orbit around your mood swings can it?"

This did not go down well.

Good luck.

Be carefull- this one cost me my job because she got under my skin and I lost it in a meeting- It was when she said that my 'attitiude' was causing her emotional stress at work, and I replied something like ' But the whole company can't orbit around your mood swings can it?"

This did not go down well.

Good luck.

Lol , love it love it ,

I used to mouth off to much at one manager and he stopped having briefings with my shift , as people refered to them as the micky and simon show, it was funny but looking back it never did me any favours.

Ok- this will get me in a LOT of trouble- but check for a monthly cycle to the thing- if it's there at least that will give you some warning of the peaks.

oh my, bad pup wonderpup !!!

time the assult to coincide with her moment of peak irrationality.....love it :lol:

Tell her that the stagnant puddle of the public sector you find yourself in is about to dry out. That should do it.

any way you can link clouds in with that?