House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TopTaff

Please Reccomend A Good Bike For A Fat Bloke

No smutty innuendoes please (unless funny ofc)

I am a .......Large male (6ft 5 , 20ish stone) and I am looking to start cycling in order to get a bit fitter - I've chosen cycling as I have a mashed knee and reckon that cycling is low impact enought for me to try.

Any reccomendations on a cycle robust enough to carry the more mature and 'generous' sized male ?

Ideally nothing I would need a mortgage to buy

Thanks in advance

The only thing that you might want to consider is buying a bike with 26 inch wheels rather than 700C. 26 inch are inherently stronger so they be a better bet.

As for price, depends on what you are after. Drop handlebars are much comfier due to the numerous hand position that are available to you, but it depends on what sort of riding you are doing. However, there are very few bikes that use drop handlebars and 26 inch wheels.

I'd recommend buying an underused second hand bike. There are loads on Ebay. The road to hell is paved mainly with almost prostine bicycles if you catch my drift.

Size is the next issue, but as manufacturers use a number of different ways of sizing things, giving a recommendation is problematic. On a standard road bike where the top tube is horizontal with the ground you probably need a 62cm. Fundamentally, you need the biggest size that is made, so that should make it easier to narrow down your requirements.

Go to ebay and get something very large. If you don't like it or don't use it you can resell and it won't cost you more than the selling fee.

Hopefully it goes well. Welcome to the fold.

I am a .......Large male (6ft 5 , 20ish stone) and I am looking to start cycling in order to get a bit fitter - I've chosen cycling as I have a mashed knee and reckon that cycling is low impact enought for me to try.

Any reccomendations on a cycle robust enough to carry the more mature and 'generous' sized male ?

Thanks in advance

There is a 2004 ZX10R nicknamed the widow maker nearby it has 168bhp dyno tested its near perfect condition and is a steal at £4000. No need to pedal thus even easier on your knees.

Chances of dying horribly on it are quite high however.

Guest Noodle

There is a 2004 ZX10R nicknamed the widow maker nearby it has 168bhp dyno tested its near perfect condition and is a steal at £4000. No need to pedal thus even easier on your knees.

Chances of dying horribly on it are quite high however.

I ride the 2010 200bhp model in Patters. Well funny like!

Guest Noodle

Thanks in advance

Muddyfox Quest

http://www.muddyfox.com/quest_2007.html

Guest theboltonfury

Thanks in advance

Have you considered Heather Mills?

Guest Noodle

To answer the original question: you might want to consider a Dutch style sit-up and beg bike. They're extremely robust and would be a lot more comfortable for someone of your size than most of what's available. Something like one of these:

http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/Traditional.htm

Geezus!!!! those are loads of money.

Dawes XC 1.8 might do it too.

Thanks in advance

A tourer - made to be a good ride for not just you, but your tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, etc.

If you have a bit of a paunch, a slightly angled top bar makes for an easy ride. I have (and love) one of these.

20 stone isn't a worry unless you're looking at a folder or something ultra-tuned-up for speed. Well, unless you were to get a cheap BSO, in which case it might fall apart even quicker under you than under me.

Guest Noodle

A tourer - made to be a good ride for not just you, but your tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, etc.

If you have a bit of a paunch, a slightly angled top bar makes for an easy ride. I have (and love) one of these.

20 stone isn't a worry unless you're looking at a folder or something ultra-tuned-up for speed. Well, unless you were to get a cheap BSO, in which case it might fall apart even quicker under you than under me.

You're not still trying to ebay your missus? :huh:

A brave admission in OT.

Nah I've been outed as a chubster for some time - no interest in losing weight , just I'd like to be getting a bit fitter although one does not preclude the other

Many years of Rugby , marching and falling out of perfectly serviceable aircraft have knackered me knees , one worse than other , so I thought cycling may be the way to go

Have you considered Heather Mills?

Was looking for something with lower maintenance and prefer two wheels - unicycling at my age/size is not a spectator sport , and as I can't ride indoors ( stands back for flood of entendres)

edited for spelling buffoonery

Nah I've been outed as a chubster for some time - no interest in losing weight , just I'd like to be getting a bit fitter although one does not preclude the other

Many years of Rugby , marching and falling out of perfectly serviceable aircraft have knackered me knees , one worse than other , so I thought cycling may be the way to go

Cycling is definitely the way forward. But make you sure test the bike for size. Dont order blind.

Have you thought about swimming? Low impact??

Regularly swim in this season, and it should be good for another three months or so.

But from about November I fear I'll wimp out for six months.

Have a look on the Pashley site, they make some nice bikes.

Indeed. Personally I'd go for a 28"-wheel roadster with a fully enclosed chain case (less maintenance), not the racy 'guvnor' model on the web site's front page.

Pashley ain't cheap though.

There are some larger chaps in our local club riding road bikes, so there is no need to recommend MTB's and dutch bikes, 20 stone isn't an issue for most decent road bikes. The frame will be fine it's more a case picking the correct wheel (spoke count and rim strength).

While you're not the size of the 'The Amazing shrinking Gaz' I would suggest having a read of his blog, at 39 stone getting the correct bike was a serious issue. He recently did Manchester to Blackpool (again) on his road bike and currently about 19/20 stone. Please ignore fact he's currently in A&E :(

Looks like he's riding a Ribble Audux and Surosa Toledo Pro.

Link to Gaz's blog review of this bikes - http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/surosa-toledo-pro-vs-ribble-audax-review/

The Ribble's are often available cheap second hand on ebay, and make a great winter trainer/commute.

Edit: Gaz answering a few question on the bike he uses.

"Please ignore fact he's currently in A&E"

:lol:

One of the best posts I have ever read on here.

When my old man's knees started to go he eventually settled on one of these. He'd retired to a stupidly mountainous area (skiing addiction was part of the problem) and something like one of these modded with oval shimanos (I think) and a custom set of trick derailleurs going down to sort of washing-machine ratios meant he could (oh-so-imperceptibly) get up the one-in-threes in the town without his shrieks of agony disturbing the residents.

tricycle.jpg

Given your background you might prefer a technical?

combat_tricycle.jpg

When my old man's knees started to go he eventually settled on one of these.

A saddle that low would be murder, and not just on the knees!

There's a more subtle point about trikes: it's hard to lean over, so you fall off when you try to go round a bend at anything much more than toddler-trike speed. Even a 'bent trike - which puts your weight much lower - takes some getting used to.

vortex-2-700.jpg