House Price Crash Forum

Sheffield Wednesday Rip?

Mega

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.google.co...oYoMBw_VYCQG5QQ

Yep, looks like its time to "Flush" everything away, no last min save...no else to "save" (Borrow money) the Club.

Mike

One can but hope (UTB!).

Seriously though, this is just the tax man putting the frighteners on them - someone will cough up and the show will go on.

Pity that Hillsborough is one of the FAs proposed venues for the 2018 World Cup bid though....

HOLA443

One can but hope (UTB!).

Seriously though, this is just the tax man putting the frighteners on them - someone will cough up and the show will go on.

Pity that Hillsborough is one of the FAs proposed venues for the 2018 World Cup bid though....

It's only £550k. It will probably mean Lee Grant being sold. Thanks for everything, Sir Dave.

HOLA444

I think the taxman is going to go through most clubs one by one, the govt is short of money and the taxman is making an example of the clubs.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines/Owls-We39re-not-about-to.6436205.jp

The action by HMRC relates to an outstanding PAYE balance of £550,000.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Owls-Sheffield-Wednesday-face-winding.6436562.jp

The Owls have become the latest in a series of clubs to be chased by the tax man.

Portsmouth, Preston. Notts County, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth and Cardiff have all faced winding-up petitions from HMRC within the last six month.

I wonder how many other clubs are currently talking to the taxman?

HOLA445

I think the taxman is going to go through most clubs one by one, the govt is short of money and the taxman is making an example of the clubs.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sportheadlines/Owls-We39re-not-about-to.6436205.jp

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Owls-Sheffield-Wednesday-face-winding.6436562.jp

I wonder how many other clubs are currently talking to the taxman?

I would like to see a law that nominates at least two directors of any unlimited company, to have unlimited liability for any tax not paid by the business.

At the moment, HMRC has great difficulty in winding up football clubs that evade tax. Maybe if it were an individual in the dock, who had run the company improperly, with no thought of their tax obligations, the tax man might get some money. If the threat of that were real enough, there wouldnt even be any court cases.

Bring back unlimited liability for certain officers of a PLC with respect to tax. Not only will tax be paid promptly, but it will save the country a fortune in the costs of pursuing this sort of behavriour through the courts.

HOLA446

I would like to see a law that nominates at least two directors of any unlimited company, to have unlimited liability for any tax not paid by the business.

At the moment, HMRC has great difficulty in winding up football clubs that evade tax. Maybe if it were an individual in the dock, who had run the company improperly, with no thought of their tax obligations, the tax man might get some money. If the threat of that were real enough, there wouldnt even be any court cases.

Bring back unlimited liability for certain officers of a PLC with respect to tax. Not only will tax be paid promptly, but it will save the country a fortune in the costs of pursuing this sort of behavriour through the courts.

Bob Grierson - Financial Director

Does the taxman pursue individuals of any other PLC's like this? Wouldn't it be fairer that all PLC have this burden?

HOLA447

Does the taxman pursue individuals of any other PLC's like this? Wouldn't it be fairer that all PLC have this burden?

I thought that was what I was suggesting. Something like the CEO, Chairman and CFO, should be responsible for paying tax promptly. If they are found to be running the company without concern for their tax obligations, then the law should allow them to be pursued for the difference, with no limited liability.

We might need a handover period, during which time the new CFO or whatever, can check the books to make sure that they dont get lumbered with someone else's crookedness, during which time the previous incumbent is still on the hook.

Make individuals who pull the strings in PLC's individually responsible for this obligation, and I bet tax collecting will be a whole lot easier.

HOLA448
HOLA449

owlstalk hit hpc! who'd have thought it!

Bob 'the calculator' grierson is quite a financial director. He has been known to answer questions about finance of the club at agms with answers such as 'dont know' and 'cant remember'. Its incredulous and embarrassing by equal measure - the man has no shame

He along with the rest of the board have managed to oversee arguably the greatest fall from grace of any british football club.

with regard to this hmrc business, it does seem to be sabre rattling really...

HOLA4410

Bob 'the calculator' grierson is quite a financial director. He has been known to answer questions about finance of the club at agms with answers such as 'dont know' and 'cant remember'. Its incredulous and embarrassing by equal measure - the man has no shame

With answers like that he should be in PR.

Interviewer: Can you please tell us how you will be tackling the oil leak?

PR: Don't know.

Interviewr: Did your company receive warnings over the state of the drilling equipment?

PR: Can't remember.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Other companies don't work a rule where "football" creditors get paid 100% before anyone else gets a look in

tim

I'd forgotten about that little gem. How come they've managed to get away with that in law? I'm surprised the govt hasn't challenged it.

As for what's going on I've been told they had been given a deadline to pay the tax bill by which the club is going to do but someone's leaked it to the press and it's blown out of all proportion.

Time will tell of course if this is really the case or if the club are in dire straits.

Archived