House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bearfaced-Chic

Councillor Faces Suspension For Calling Scientology 'stupid'

John Dixon, a Cardiff councillor, is being investigated for allegedly breaching the code of conduct for local authority members which demands they "show respect and consideration for others".

A complaint was made to the Welsh ombudsman by a member of the Church of Scientology in December last year about comments Mr Dixon made on his Twitter page that June.

Stupid Scientology

Far more worryingly............

However, in March last year the Crown Prosecution Service decided that anyone who attacks Scientology can be prosecuted under faith hate laws.

Am I committing a hate crime by posting this?

This sort of thing rather grinds my gears.........

Faith my fat ****.

If by Scientology they mean "method for seriously rich people to shift vast amounts of money around tax free under the guise of a religion" then I'd be more inclined to believe it.

It's a blatant tax dodge IMHO.

Faith my fat ****.

If by Scientology they mean "method for seriously rich people to shift vast amounts of money around tax free under the guise of a religion" then I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Where can I sign up?

If you can have a post deleted from the OT forum for suggesting that PL1's 'dot' might be a picture of a well-known religious figure in the distance*, then John Dixon should probably be burned at the stake.

* That's my rant over with now. I've moved on and learnt not be so offensive to ******s or to ********.

Faith my fat ****.

Don't know about the tax dodge bit but L. Ron Hubbar is reputed to have said something like 'The greatest joke you could play on mankind is to start a religion'.

Guest X-QUORK

Those Scientologists get pretty het up if you diss their belief in space ships and stuff. I'm of the opinion that religion is the last safe bastion of the mentally ill.

I nearly got run over by a car full of scientologists the other day, I had to shout you ******ing twit really quickly. Fortunately their windows were open so the most likely heard me as they plowed across the zebra crossing without a care in the world.

I nearly got run over by a car full of scientologists the other day, I had to shout you ******ing twit really quickly. Fortunately their windows were open so the most likely heard me as they plowed across the zebra crossing without a care in the world.

How did you know they were Scientologists? Was it a flying car? Or was it driven by a crazed looking Tom Cruise in a silver spacesuit? Good job they didn't hit you, instead of calling an ambulance they'd have employed the power of positive thinking to mend those ruptured organs............

How did you know they were Scientologists? Was it a flying car? Or was it driven by a crazed looking Tom Cruise in a silver spacesuit? Good job they didn't hit you, instead of calling an ambulance they'd have employed the power of positive thinking to mend those ruptured organs............

They were wearing the scientologist uniform. I could not confirm 100% by checking for the badges that they also wear, but am 99% certain by the clothing.

The problem with religion is that none of them are really any more nutty that any other.These coves who believe in the Star Wars one are just as sensible as all the others.

The problem with religion is that none of them are really any more nutty that any other.These coves who believe in the Star Wars one are just as sensible as all the others.

Agreed, but there is a tendency with scientology for it to take over your life, which I appreciate can happen with other "religions", but its very overt with scientology as that seems to be all they ever talk about (in my experience).

Agreed, but there is a tendency with scientology for it to take over your life, which I appreciate can happen with other "religions", but its very overt with scientology as that seems to be all they ever talk about (in my experience).

I reckon that any religion takes over the entire live of the true believer. These C of E weekend church goer types are really ametours.

Suspension... by whom?

Councillors are democratically elected, right? Or perhaps I'm being a little naïve.

Ah no. Blair brought in a Code of Conduct which can be enforced by the Public Services Ombudsman.

It has shut down free speech for councillors.

The CPS have erred in law by stating that you can have prosecutions for faith hate if you attack the scientologists, since the courts have consistently denied that scientology is anything but a corrupt scam.

Ah no. Blair brought in a Code of Conduct which can be enforced by the Public Services Ombudsman.

It has shut down free speech for councillors.

The CPS have erred in law by stating that you can have prosecutions for faith hate if you attack the scientologists, since the courts have consistently denied that scientology is anything but a corrupt scam.

The IT Crowd did a thinly disguised piss take of Scientology last week - they called it Spaceology though:

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Faith my fat ****.

It is a failed attempt at a tax dodge, as the Charity Commission doesn't recognise it as a religion.

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Library/start/cosdecsum.pdf

It is a failed attempt at a tax dodge, as the Charity Commission doesn't recognise it as a religion.

http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/Library/start/cosdecsum.pdf

Quality link, cheers for that, proof if it's ever needed that some people's ******** detection systems are in full working order and pretty damning all round for the religion that 'ain't.

I don't think that applies in the U.S though, tax free wheelery and dealery there as far as I know.

Quality link, cheers for that, proof if it's ever needed that some people's ******** detection systems are in full working order and pretty damning all round for the religion that 'ain't.

I don't think that applies in the U.S though, tax free wheelery and dealery there as far as I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

But it is a religion, and is no more mental than any of the others.

No, all this does is highlight how utterly stupid and arbitrary it is to have laws that protect some kinds of belief, because they are religions, whereas others are fair game, because they aren't. How do we decide which is which? Well religions are the ones we protect of course!

Madness.

But it is a religion, and is no more mental than any of the others.

No, all this does is highlight how utterly stupid and arbitrary it is to have laws that protect some kinds of belief, because they are religions, whereas others are fair game, because they aren't. How do we decide which is which? Well religions are the ones we protect of course!

Madness.

The beliefs may be no more mental than any of the others, but the way they operate and charge for access etc certainly is more mental than the likes of the Church of England.

They were wearing the scientologist uniform. I could not confirm 100% by checking for the badges that they also wear, but am 99% certain by the clothing.

Same applies to Jehovah's Witnesses around here.

By their ancient pastel Dannimacs shall ye know them.

Im a Jedi Knight.

It has the same provenance as Scientology....invented by a sci fi writer.

May the Farce be with you.

The beliefs may be no more mental than any of the others, but the way they operate and charge for access etc certainly is more mental than the likes of the Church of England.

Well that's it then, the reason the Charity Commission refuses to recognise them is because of the money (i.e. they are not a charity). Nothing to do with their religious beliefs or whether they are a religion.

How long is it since the Church of England was levying taxes (tithes) alongside the Govt? And avoiding church attendance was a criminal offense?