House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kyoto

Cost Of Being Single

Having to carry the full burden of a mortgage, holiday costs, insurance premiums and utility bills all adds up, according to the study by uSwitch, the price comparison website. According to the survey, the annual premium for being single is £4,794, which between the ages of 22 to 75 adds up to £254,082.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/7900530/Cost-of-being-single-254082.html

I'm free if you are looking to reduce those extra outgoings Lisa?!

By contrast I'd like to see the cost of being married, how much men (typically) lose in a divorce.

£200k in my case and that doesn't include all of the stuff that men have to pay out during the marriage itself e.g. ludicrously over priced furniture, continual home "improvements" cars that look nice rather than being merely adequate for the job etc. And then theres the mental cost of putting up with all the irrational shit like having to keep kitchen worktops spotless all the time (I mean WTF is a kitchen actually suppose to be for ?), having to eat vast quantities of rabbit food and diabetes-inducing quantities of high carb sh*t like pasta and rice because its "healthy", having to listen to chick music like "R&B" instead of say led zep ...

I'm free if you are looking to reduce those extra outgoings Lisa?!

She looks like the clingy, high-maintenance type - all yours, mate :D

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

The one thing I hate about articles like this is they don'tpublish the telephone number of the woman in the photo.

If they did, she wouldn't be single and she wouldn't be out of pocket to the tune of £250K now, would she?

I'm not sure about this at all :unsure:

In which case, I suggest pistols at dawn between you and Kyoto to decide who gets to call her first :P

This poster sounds a little jaded:

rosierosierosie

Yesterday 05:54

Cost of being single: £254,082

Not having to endure living with a selfish Git? Priceless!

:D

Guest Noodle

All these 'cost of' reports are horseradish.

If you're a single bloke you are free to live in a static caravan, ride an old 250 scrambler and wear Asda George polo piques and old shorts.

You can live on about £28.47 a year.

Now add a woman and tell me how much it comes to.

Then add children . . .

The single's holiday surcharge looks like b/s to me. when I was single I could go on hol cheaply during term time. Now I have kids we have to pay double that cost to go on hol in the school holidays.

Read: Extortionate land tax, standing charges, energy bills and water rates means you can cheat the system by packing your house with as many people as possible - start with a wife or husband.

£200k in my case and that doesn't include all of the stuff that men have to pay out during the marriage itself e.g. ludicrously over priced furniture, continual home "improvements" cars that look nice rather than being merely adequate for the job etc. And then theres the mental cost of putting up with all the irrational shit like having to keep kitchen worktops spotless all the time (I mean WTF is a kitchen actually suppose to be for ?), having to eat vast quantities of rabbit food and diabetes-inducing quantities of high carb sh*t like pasta and rice because its "healthy", having to listen to chick music like "R&B" instead of say led zep ...

Goldbug - thanks for the succinct reminder of why I choose not to get married.

No smiley cos I'm serious ...

... or the f#!%ing two houses they make you buy at the top of the market because "it'll be a good pension" before deciding "actually, I think we should split up but I still want to own the houses .. I'll pay you back what you put in ..." No chance of that when she earns £15k. Worst mistake I ever made. Bitter? ... damn right. If that's the cost of being single, it's worth it.

Guest Noodle

I feel your pain brother.

If you're a single bloke you are free to live in a static caravan, ride an old 250 scrambler and wear Asda George polo piques and old shorts.

Then add children . . .

+1

A joke this research

The average cost for the first 21 years for your child is £140,000.

First year = £7,138 - the largest expense at this age is nursery furniture and equipment and child care

Years 2-5 = £39,557 - largest expense is childcare

Years 6-11 = £31,000 - largest expense is recreation and food

Years 12-18 = £33,747 - largest expense is food and clothes

Years 19-21 = £30,000 - largest expense is education

By contrast I'd like to see the cost of being married, how much men (typically) lose in a divorce.

If you're unlucky, it can cost you £100m

If it is that much of a problem why get married?.......share share alike....or marry your equal. ;)

My handbag cost more than yours....because I am worth it, and can afford it. :P

Then add children . . .

How do you know my brother? : ) I have have 600c enduro bike myself a nice rented flat and sea view.......also a few girls after me ho ho life's good....

+1 (£100,000s)

and may add hanging one's socks the wrong way up on the line to dry. :lol:

First year = £7,138 - the largest expense at this age is nursery furniture and equipment and child care

£6,666 pa :o

Also a total load of bulls shite

Cost of divorce is THE major point holding me back from ever proposing.

She has her own kids and is older - if we split up in future, I'm told I don't have to pay for her kids. True?

But will the costs still be horrendous? Especially if she nears retirements and it happens then.

The LAST thing I want to do is shell out money as I'm not rich and am not from a rich family - lots of hard work put in here.

Conversely also don't want to end up old and lonely!

Why can't people just keep finances separate going in and out. I hear pre-nups are only an American thing? There MUST be a similar sort of thing that can be applied.