House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Durham Police Fire All Civilian Workers

Breaking News on the BBC now - all civilian workers given 90 day's notice by Durham Police including all their CSOs.

Interesting, as the previous Govt was trying to use CSOs to bring down the pay, conditions and pensions of 'real' Police.

could well be they've all been put on 90 days notice with a view to making a certain percentage redundant.Have friends in the civvy side,and that's how it's working for them.

Yes, this sounds like a consultation period. Some will go, but not all.

I think what we need to do is set up an "area" of this Island where we place, Crimo/Slime/Scum etc.........Sort of "Escape from New York".....type thing................Walled off Liverpool will do.

Mike

It is an interesting attitude though isn't it? I mean, they have to give notice to every single one of their staff, give them 90 days notice and then they spend the next month working out who they need, who they don't want, who is cheap enough to stay, who is too expensive to fire, etc, etc.

For the staff what does this mean - worry, uncertainty, fear, back-stabbing, jockeying for jobs, etc, etc?

The Government better hurry up and change the rules on pay-offs for public sector workes.

It is an interesting attitude though isn't it? I mean, they have to give notice to every single one of their staff, give them 90 days notice and then they spend the next month working out who they need, who they don't want, who is cheap enough to stay, who is too expensive to fire, etc, etc.

For the staff what does this mean - worry, uncertainty, fear, back-stabbing, jockeying for jobs, etc, etc?

The Government better hurry up and change the rules on pay-offs for public sector workes.

Management by fear. Look how successful its been for British industry.

Btw doing a back of the envelope calculation if we need to cut £100 billion from the budget.. and £50,000 is one job. That will mean 2 million jobs have to go.

Btw doing a back of the envelope calculation if we need to cut £100 billion from the budget.. and £50,000 is one job. That will mean 2 million jobs have to go.

I was going to say that I doubt the government employs 2M people on 50K a year, but then again who knows.

Edited by Minos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10740118

Durham Police has issued 90-day redundancy notices to all civilian workers in the force, including community support officers.

In total, 1,160 letters have been sent out but none have been sent to police officers.

About 200 posts will be lost at the force, the BBC understands.

The chairman of Durham Police Authority said the notices were to inform employees that their jobs were potentially at risk.

He added that the force was facing budget cuts of between 25% and 40%.

I was going to say that I doubt the government employs 2M peopl on 50K a year, but then again who knows.

Once office space, IT support, utilities, parking, expenses etc are taking into account, 50k doesn't go too far.

Yes, people often think that their wage/salary is the total cost of them to their employer. It is not.

I guess there is a rush to the HR department now in Durham to try and get redundancy - the clever ones will try and get out ASAP.

I was going to say that I doubt the government employs 2M people on 50K a year, but then again who knows.

My back of a fag-packet calculation is 6 million people at a cost to employ of £25k - which would mean a salary of about 18k + pension + Employers NI + overhead (office, desk, chair, computer etc.) - which gives you a nice total of £150 billion.

Which means we are borrowing the total salary bill of the entire public sector this year.

It is not management by fear. Labour brought in these rules that if you were going to make people redundant you had to have this consultation period and tell all staff they were at risk, causing mass worry in the workforce. It is the rules that are stupid, the old way of just telling the people afffectted was a much kinder way to the whole workforce.

Once office space, IT support, utilities, parking, expenses etc are taking into account, 50k doesn't go too far.

Exactly. Maybe £30k goes to the government non-jobber. While £20k goes to various private sector workers, like air conditioning repair men to IT support to office furniture salesmen.

I think what we need to do is set up an "area" of this Island where we place, Crimo/Slime/Scum etc.........Sort of "Escape from New York".....type thing................Walled off Liverpool will do.

Mike

We did. It's called Canary Wharf.

My back of a fag-packet calculation is 6 million people at a cost to employ of £25k - which would mean a salary of about 18k + pension + Employers NI + overhead (office, desk, chair, computer etc.) - which gives you a nice total of £150 billion.

Which means we are borrowing the total salary bill of the entire public sector this year.

I work at a university and the uni gets/demands around double my salary to cover the costs of providing me with office, electricity etc.....

It is not management by fear. Labour brought in these rules that if you were going to make people redundant you had to have this consultation period and tell all staff they were at risk, causing mass worry in the workforce. It is the rules that are stupid, the old way of just telling the people afffectted was a much kinder way to the whole workforce.

If it all came in after 1997 how come I visited many organisations where the same process was happening during the1980's?

Folk were happy enough to call it management by fear then, why so squeamish nowadays? It used to be perfectly normal to find places where swathes of employees were applying for their own job. Its the process that made the railways, the water boards and BT what they are today. ;)

Agreed completely. It's the usual law of unintended consequences - put controls in place to try and stop some dodgy companies from treating some people unfairly and you end forcing all organisations to treat everyone badly.

North Wales Police jumping on the bandwagon - up to 730 officers and civilian staff to go over the next 4 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-10743070

The number of police officers patrolling the streets of north Wales will become fewer over the next four years.

A report to the North Wales Police Authority says the force faces cuts of between £25.5m and £30.5m in that time.

Police officers cannot be made redundant, but with staff turnover, 251 officers are expected to leave and will not be replaced.

There are currently 1,574 police officers and 1,039 support staff.

The chief constable of North Wales Police has already said he cannot rule out cuts to the number of officers on the beat in the current financial climate.

Mark Polin, who took up his post last year, says he will do all he can to protect essential services.

Between 316 and 484 support staff - which includes Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) - could lose their jobs as the force struggles to achieve savings.

In addition, the report says the force's telephone system has reached the end of its working life. which would cost cost £1.23m to replace.

The report adds the new system would cost less than the current system to run - at £301,000 a year compared to £666,000 - so a saving would be made there.

Breaking News on the BBC now - all civilian workers given 90 day's notice by Durham Police including all their CSOs.

Interesting, as the previous Govt was trying to use CSOs to bring down the pay, conditions and pensions of 'real' Police.

Breaking news is it?? How many have actually been given official notice? It is ZERO.

This "breaking news" claptrap is more controlling by fear.

The real news will be when the P45s are printed and dished out.