House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Economy Shows The Strain

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/01e19b32-1991-11d...000e2511c8.html

The article was linked through this site anyway..

but if we are not spending in the high street we have recession.

that is what I have always been told.

2/3rds of our economy is based on the high street and spending there.

To that end, are we entering a recession and if so is it the level of debt that we have aquired that has put us there.?

Is a debt based economy ever going to survive or will it always eventually go bust.?

Whatever happens out in the big wide world I think we are going to see people ruined not just because they have too expensive houses.. but others ruined because some in this country thought it a great idea to borrow and borrow and just keep borrowing..

they have walked amongst us, their shiny cars and flash suits all bought on tick.

Like the inconsiderate people at parties.. acting big, but in the end lying in the mess they have created and feeling sorry for themselves. everything turns out to be smoke and mirrors..

If you are to have good times then enjoy.. but they can only exist if you earn them.

Now the economy may head into recession and its going to impact everyone..

I am keeping my head down, stable in a hopefully recession proof company and see through the hard times ahead.

And to those who don't like what is said on this site..

take a look at what you own, and only if you have already paid for most of it can you really argue any other point.

There is no such thing as free money.

Either you earn the money in your pocket and it is given to you, or you borrow it and someday someone will want it back.

Edited by apom

I wish someone would tell people in Glasgow that there's a slow down in spending - the shops are absolutely mobbed! I overheard two just finishing their Christmas shopping a couple of weeks ago - insane.

I spend tonnes...

Hell I save a fair bit..

but i spend wht I have earnt..

Not borrowing to pay back later...:)

So do I - I'm probably over cautious with money but I've always paid my credit card off in full each month, and never had a loan. No matter how much money you make, you get used to spending it - so may as well get used to spending what you have, not what you don't have.

Tescos and Online

There is no consumer slowdown its just  being spent in new places.

Yes and No.

There is a definite slowdown in spending but this is "high street" spending - much of it is moving to online. Bought some electronics and baby stuff recently, all on the web.

Looking at a new car early next year. Will not be buying locally - will use the web to find what I want and buy there.

Yes and No.

There is a definite slowdown in spending but this is "high street" spending - much of it is moving to online. Bought some electronics and baby stuff recently, all on the web.

Looking at a new car early next year. Will not be buying locally - will use the web to find what I want and buy there.

Any actual evidence for this, apart from your own experience?

Yes and No.

Consumer spending is not matched only against the high street... really that is a turn of phrase. UK based online shops will be included also.

Another interesting point.

Online spending was really bugging me so I called the BRC/KPMG mob to ask if its included in their figures.

Answer - "if the retailer has an online presence then yes"

me - "what if its an online retailer with no shop front"

BRC - "oh well we don't in clude them"

Amazing.

A few years ago online only accounted for less 1% of retail, depending on who you believe its now between 6% and 10% but the BRC obviously feel its not relevant.

Bunch of VI jokers.

Yes and No.

I ordered a new tumble dryer this afternoon off the web. £62 cheaper the Currys inc delivery for the exact same product. I offered Currys the chance to match the price but funnily enough they didn't get back to me.

I do most of the shopping for 'big stuff' online now, or I at least use it to find the best deals on offer.

whatever the cause.

If consumer spending dips then it is easy for the businesses to attempt to push this loss on, by making staff redundant and cutting costs..

But whatever they do if the money is not in the economy the overall effect is there.