House Price Crash Forum

Jack Straw Asked To Testify To A U S Senate Committee

Guest TheBlueCat

HOLA441
Guest tbatst2000

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7905681/Jack-Straw-asked-to-appear-before-US-Senate-committee-over-Lockerbie-bomber-release.html

Wouldn't it be great if he refused and was then extradicted under the one sided treaty him and Blair put in place? I don't imagine for a second it will happen but that would be so funny and perfectly ironic I'd probably die laughing.

HOLA442

The Scottish politicians are refusing. In a letter to Mr Kerry, Mr Salmond said there had been no contact with BP over Megrahi’s fate. He said the only papers he had about the affair that were not public were correspondence from the British and US governments. There is no legal obligation for non-US citizens to attend hearings. What is the agreement? If it's not a Treaty, they can just tell them to bog off. Let's invite dubya to Westminster to answer a few q's about Iraq and 9/11, shall we?

HOLA443

http://www.telegraph...er-release.html

Wouldn't it be great if he refused and was then extradicted under the one sided treaty him and Blair put in place? I don't imagine for a second it will happen but that would be so funny and perfectly ironic I'd probably die laughing.

Much as I would like that to happen, I think the Americans should be told to bog off!

HOLA444

The Scottish politicians are refusing. In a letter to Mr Kerry, Mr Salmond said there had been no contact with BP over Megrahi’s fate. He said the only papers he had about the affair that were not public were correspondence from the British and US governments. There is no legal obligation for non-US citizens to attend hearings. What is the agreement? If it's not a Treaty, they can just tell them to bog off. Let's invite dubya to Westminster to answer a few q's about Iraq and 9/11, shall we?

Time to accept the truth

Britain has voting rights in the EU and begging rights in the USA

The UK was truly humbled this week with the visit by Cameron treated as a low key affair with little time spent with the world diversity champ. Remember this is the guy who told his aids to throw out the bust of Churchill because he was known to use the n - word. This is also the guy who wants to put his boot on the evil throat of BP..... Ironic when you consider his failure to reign in banking corporation thieves who have ruined millions of Americas lives....... Note 96 US banks have failed in 2010.

HOLA445

Time to accept the truth

Britain has voting rights in the EU and begging rights in the USA

The UK was truly humbled this week with the visit by Cameron treated as a low key affair with little time spent with the world diversity champ. Remember this is the guy who told his aids to throw out the bust of Churchill because he was known to use the n - word. This is also the guy who wants to put his boot on the evil throat of BP..... Ironic when you consider his failure to reign in banking corporation thieves who have ruined millions of Americas lives....... Note 96 US banks have failed in 2010.

That is of course true..............

I find this a tricky one; good in many ways to tell the Septics to stuff themselves for their bullying arrogance (study the hypocritical closet support their government has given to the US executives of Union Carbide if you are short of reasons why) but it would be fantastic to see that self-hating, anti British vermin Straw humiliated. Hopefully he fancies he can 'do a Galloway' which he will fail totally at.

On balance the latter for me; any Liebour politician sweating and one can only hope humiliated is always a great pleasure.

HOLA446

Are you sure the Scottish politcos are refusing - Salmond and Kenny open said on the BBC two days ago that they would be happy to go and give evidence and stated on the record that the only information not disclosed was the private correspondence between the Scottish gov and the the UK and US equivalents relating to the case.

And only because both the US and UK govts had refused permission to publish those letters.

I smell BS in the air...

HOLA447

...and if the hearing is anything like the grandstanding farce that the BP Chairman underwent, the US should be told in no uncertain terms to sod off: just a bunch of pre-election politicos using the 'fact-finding' masquerade and a political broadcast platform. Nasty and deeply unprofessional - did not cast the US in a good light at all.

I too enjoy the idea of inviting Bush over here for a reciprocal interview. Again though Labour should be hung out to dry for acquiescing to that appallingly unilateral extradition treaty - it would be nice to see Straw get his come-uppance through it.

HOLA448

...Remember this is the guy who told his aids to throw out the bust of Churchill because he was known to use the n - word...

Far more to do with the fact that Churchill was in charge during the ruthless - and unreported here - suppression of the Kenyan independence movement.

HOLA449

...and if the hearing is anything like the grandstanding farce that the BP Chairman underwent, the US should be told in no uncertain terms to sod off: just a bunch of pre-election politicos using the 'fact-finding' masquerade and a political broadcast platform. Nasty and deeply unprofessional - did not cast the US in a good light at all.

I too enjoy the idea of inviting Bush over here for a reciprocal interview. Again though Labour should be hung out to dry for acquiescing to that appallingly unilateral extradition treaty - it would be nice to see Straw get his come-uppance through it.

I agree, I grow rapidly tired of watching America swinging their balls around the world stage especially after the outrageous behaviour of their previous administration and their appalling handling of the Bhopal ****-up, the area around which remains highly toxic to this day.

No, Jack Straw is an **** granted, but the U.S has no right to imperiously summon people from other nations for a grilling while their own behaviour has been and remains so questionable.

HOLA4410

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7905681/Jack-Straw-asked-to-appear-before-US-Senate-committee-over-Lockerbie-bomber-release.html

That would be lovely. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Agree with Sir John Steed though. Sod off and mind your own business America.

HOLA4411

Are you sure the Scottish politcos are refusing - Salmond and Kenny open said on the BBC two days ago that they would be happy to go and give evidence and stated on the record that the only information not disclosed was the private correspondence between the Scottish gov and the the UK and US equivalents relating to the case.

And only because both the US and UK govts had refused permission to publish those letters.

I smell BS in the air...

I just copied a paragraph from the link..... it would be a bit fawning of Salmond and Kenney to say they'd be happy to go...... there's a principle at stake here, and as "leaders" they should be setting an example... i.e. telling them to get fvcked. Unless there really is some treaty in force, as mentioned earlier, in which case those who allowed it into force deserve being at the receiving end first..... and ConDem should have it torn up immediately.

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

I'm full of admiration for Alex Salmond telling the Yanks to go f**k themselves. By all means, US senators can come over here and request interviews with our politicians in the same way that anyone else can...but sending for them like naughty school children just shows how arrogant the USA has become.

HOLA4413

I just copied a paragraph from the link..... it would be a bit fawning of Salmond and Kenney to say they'd be happy to go...... there's a principle at stake here, and as "leaders" they should be setting an example... i.e. telling them to get fvcked. Unless there really is some treaty in force, as mentioned earlier, in which case those who allowed it into force deserve being at the receiving end first..... and ConDem should have it torn up immediately.

Yup - Salmonds just been on the BBC telling them he can't go as he's a sitting minister and only answers to Holyrood!

He did point out that there many others who are no longer ministers or even in politics who can easily go ... - such as the one chat who was in the same tent the same day both the BP Lybia and PTA were signed!

Now who would that be eh?

HOLA4414

I'm full of admiration for Alex Salmond telling the Yanks to go f**k themselves. By all means, US senators can come over here and request interviews with our politicians in the same way that anyone else can...but sending for them like naughty school children just shows how arrogant the USA has become.

"Pride comes before a fall".

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Do you think the yanks would be interested in me tea-bagging Obama live on prime time TV?

I think you resting your nuts upon the forehead of the Commander in Chief may get you some attention yes.

I'll give you twenty quid if you turkey-slap David Letterman though, can't abide that man.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Ian Chesterton

Hilarious, but toooo much information! :lol:

Its the excess of "short & curly" style leg hair that really pushes it over the edge for me.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

John Kerry and Hillary Clinton are both failed Presidential candidates who are taken about as seriously by the US political establishment and population as Harriet Harman and George Galloway are here, i.e. not much. But even so, the extent of their own goal in issuing this 'invitation' to Salmond and MacAskill is almost in Sarah Palin's league. Did they truly not anticipate the reaction that Diane Abbott, Lord McNally and some sanctimonious scion of the Ewing clan parroted on Any Questions? this evening? The fact that they were trying to lionise Megrahi just like the Tyneside chavs have been doing with Raoul Moat got totally lost in the whoops and cheers every time one of them delivered the predictable one-liner about being answerable to the Scottish electorate, not the American one. It really doesn't matter now what Kerry's and Clinton's enquiry establishes, as it is guaranteed to be dismissed as American imperialism by all except a few readers of The New York Times. It would have been slightly more politically clever to ask Salmond publicly to request that the Libyans had Megrahi back over to them, on the grounds that there's clearly been a misdiagnosis. Of course Gadaffy would tell him where to go, but Salmond would be a 'damned if he did, damned if he didn't' position and the Senators would have had the last laugh. As it is, they've just succeeded in making the US look like international bullies.

HOLA4424
Guest Skinty

As it is, they've just succeeded in making the US look like international bullies.

Maybe it's because they are?

Archived