House Price Crash Forum

So, The Young Are Dispossessed....

HOLA441

..... by the political and economic policy of their parents and grand-parents.

What are you going to do about it - to get an affordable roof over your head that no man can put asunder ( if that's possible,anymore, in the UK)- even when your cost of living is rising inexorably, because they have the means to pay for it when you do not (and it suits them). And they expect you to pay for it, when they don't have the means( because it suits them).

More of the same? (Waiting for Godot)

Or something new?

You decide. It's your future.

Do you want to build a culture of stigma and inequality - as you're parent's have done? Or......?

I ask you to ponder, consider and act on the cul-de-sac.

Genuine and honest suggestions invited for real action. All ages.

HOLA442

What are you going to do about it - to get an affordable roof over your head that no man can put asunder ( if that's possible,anymore, in the UK)- even when your cost of living is rising inexorably, because they have the means to pay for it when you do not (and it suits them). And they expect you to pay for it, when they don't have the means( because it suits them).

Or something new?

Do you want to build a culture of stigma and inequality - as you're parent's have done? Or......?

My parents and grand parents didn't. I would say my generation of the family are more equal whatever that means than ever.

You obviously were born into the wrong family.

The correction is happening and will work it's way through. But it's always comforting to blame others for your own shortcomings don't you think?

HOLA443

even when your cost of living is rising inexorably, because they have the means to pay for it when you do not (and it suits them). And they expect you to pay for it, when they don't have the means( because it suits them).

Wow. Sounds like a New Labour advert passing the blame, for 13 years of disastrous decisions and policies, onto everyone else in society.

HOLA444
HOLA445

You could always join the army. I did when I was in the same situation in the early 80's......

I think something like this is a pretty good answer. If you're getting bored of sitting in bedsits earning low wages and waiting for the older generation to wake up from the 8x salary house price dream, get out of the game for a few years. Do a PhD (state funded stipend of £13-£15k tax free if you are scientific), go teach overseas, join the Army, whatever. It's not a permenent solution, but all you really need is something interesting and stable to tide you over.

HOLA446

But it's always comforting to blame others for your own shortcomings don't you think?

Is it the OP's fault that the Government pissed hundreds of billions up the wall and put the debts onto future generations?

Is it the OP's fault that the banks lent hundreds of billions to people who couldn't pay it back, then the Government gave them everything needed to keep them going - straight from the taxpayers pocket?

Is it the OP's fault that the Government decided to get new schools and hospitals built by handing bumper profits to private sector?

Is it the OP's fault that the Government forced council's to sell off their housing and prevented them from building more?

Is the OP the Alien Lizard king or something?

People do well against the odds all the time... it doesn't mean that the odds aren't rigged.

HOLA447

My parents and grand parents didn't. I would say my generation of the family are more equal whatever that means than ever.

The correction is happening and will work it's way through. But it's always comforting to blame others for your own shortcomings don't you think?

Pretentious ******** from a man who believes things should stay the way they are just because it suites him. That is to say because you are doing well out of the system then screw everyone else.

You must be a boomer, or from a middle class family to have such an arrogant attitude.

And I'm not saying this as one of those people who aren't successful in the system, I am doing my own business and taking advantage of the system we have but through doing so I realised it takes a lot of skills, hard work and intelligence to make it as self-employed hence most people will be at the mercy of the job market, and for you to say people who can't get a job is through a fault of their own is pure arrogance.

The fact is the job pool is shrinking and the population is growing and most likely unemployment is going to rise very high and just stay there.

HOLA448

In the 1960s my father bought a three-bed terrace in a nice part of the SE, had a non-working wife, three kids, a dog, a pony, and a car - all on one university lecturer's wage. You would now need the wages of three lecturers for the same lifestyle.

I don't quite see whose shortcomings are to blame here.

HOLA449

In the 1960s my father bought a three-bed terrace in a nice part of the SE, had a non-working wife, three kids, a dog, a pony, and a car - all on one university lecturer's wage. You would now need the wages of three lecturers for the same lifestyle.

I don't quite see whose shortcomings are to blame here.

Ditto

Dad worked in insurance, nothing fancy today doing that job you would be lucky to get £25k ,

Non working wife , four kids there was not much money about but we had a holiday every year a car and a three bed semi on the outskirts of London . Today the same house is about £300k, bit difficult for an insurance clerk to buy today.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm pretty sure in the 80s we weren't in a never-ending war in a country where everyone hates us.

Yes we were.

Laddie.

HOLA4412

Ditto

Dad worked in insurance, nothing fancy today doing that job you would be lucky to get £25k ,

Non working wife , four kids there was not much money about but we had a holiday every year a car and a three bed semi on the outskirts of London . Today the same house is about £300k, bit difficult for an insurance clerk to buy today.

Well said.

I almost had an argument with my dad the other day. He said why should the tax payer pay for students to goto uni, I replied saying that why not, your generation had it for free so why should they have to pay today, I know a lot more ppl go to uni now and some study ridiculous courses who should be made to pay.

It makes me sick, the boomers got a free education and then expect us to pay for them in retirement (retiring early at about 60, with NHS healthcare, pensions and stuff). A big problem is that pension contributions weren't invested like we have to in the private sector, they were spent by the govenment of the day and whilst it's not the fault of the individual people, it's the fault of the government of the day and the boomers benifited from the additional government spending.

The young face paying high taxes for uni education (£7k a year ffs!), taxes for the boomers retirement, taxes for their own retirement, taxes to get us out of this debt, massively infated house prices and with what to look forward to .... retirement at 70 or even 75?

Thanks!

HOLA4413

Well said.

The young face paying high taxes for uni education (£7k a year ffs!), taxes for the boomers retirement, taxes for their own retirement, taxes to get us out of this debt, massively infated house prices and with what to look forward to .... retirement at 70 or even 75?

Imagine being born around 1915-1920 though...

Members of your family widowed or orphaned due to war , many children growing up without a father, or a father physically or mentally scarred by the conflict. Growing up in a decade of poverty during the 20's and a decade of global depression after that. Common diseases leading to to death and disability.

After barely an education, you would have been conscripted to fight another war, and if you survived that, they you would have had to put up with another 5 years of rationing and a further decade of austerity.

[Daily Mail] Now, count yourself lucky and deal with it.[/Daily Mail]

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm pretty sure in the 80s we weren't in a never-ending war in a country where everyone hates us.

Well join the RAF or the Navy or the cops or the fire brigade. However, I'm afraid your single-thread method of thinking will mean you'll never progress beyond junior NCO ranks!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Imagine being born around 1915-1920 though...

Members of your family widowed or orphaned due to war , many children growing up without a father, or a father physically or mentally scarred by the conflict. Growing up in a decade of poverty during the 20's and a decade of global depression after that. Common diseases leading to to death and disability.

After barely an education, you would have been conscripted to fight another war, and if you survived that, they you would have had to put up with another 5 years of rationing and a further decade of austerity.

[Daily Mail] Now, count yourself lucky and deal with it.[/Daily Mail]

Yes it was not good,

But after they came back from the second world war , the working class said they had had enough and were not going to queue up for a days work in the factories and docks. They demanded and got a health service, council houses were built , paid holidays and the 40 hour week came along and people had a future. People had hard and good times and the hard times passed , they were not burdened with the level of debt that we are today.

For the young today the outlook is very bleak , and the pity of it is it need not have turned out this way , but due to incomptent government's , greedy govenment's and bankers and the i am allright jack f--k anyone else attitude of so many the young are f---ked.

HOLA4418

Yes it was not good,

But after they came back from the second world war , the working class said they had had enough and were not going to queue up for a days work in the factories and docks. They demanded and got a health service, council houses were built , paid holidays and the 40 hour week came along and people had a future. People had hard and good times and the hard times passed , they were not burdened with the level of debt that we are today.

For the young today the outlook is very bleak , and the pity of it is it need not have turned out this way , but due to incomptent government's , greedy govenment's and bankers and the i am allright jack f--k anyone else attitude of so many the young are f---ked.

Unfortunately people cannot choose when or where they were born....they enter in a part of world, at a certain time, then have to make the most of what they have been given. ;)

HOLA4419

If you have the aptitude for it - look to the Internet to make some cash. The barriers to entry are virtually zero - and a good idea plus hard work/lots of time will usually be rewarded.

It is a big online world out there and there are plenty of opportunities to make a decent living even if you don't become the next Internet billionaire.

Otherwise consider learning a language or two and working overseas.

HOLA4420

Well said.

Thanks!

It's grim very very grim for the young , i am 47 and have a good pension that i can get at 55 ( touch wood that it does not f--k up in the meantime ), don't think it will , and between now and then i am just going to muddle through. Pity of it is i find myself wishing my life away to get to that pension, know loads of my ex work mates who are doing the same. However we did earn well for years and most of us were able to set ourselves up .

For many of the young today they are not going to have the oppotunites that we had , educated or not educated many are going to be looking at very low wages , and lots of periods of unemployment . You talk about no retirement till 70 or 75 , but so many have got to get a job first and those are not there.

HOLA4421

Despite my moaning, I like the UK. Even the weather.

The online thing seems so saturated to me.

If you can't beat them, join them - as much as I hate to say it, you're better going with the tide than against it (but keeping your sense, e.g. not buying a mega house, unless you plan to offload it before a dip like we've seen). There is no room for morals any more.

HOLA4422

If you have the aptitude for it - look to the Internet to make some cash. The barriers to entry are virtually zero - and a good idea plus hard work/lots of time will usually be rewarded.

It is a big online world out there and there are plenty of opportunities to make a decent living even if you don't become the next Internet billionaire.

Otherwise consider learning a language or two and working overseas.

So fit in with the system that is abusing you?

HOLA4423

Or something new?

What a bunch of wimps we have on this site. The UK is a failed state. The UK is still clinging on to the days that it ruled the waves. Living in the UK is going to get even more expensive in the future regardless of what the price of a pile of bricks does. Forget the past and what your parents and grandparents had - you ain't going to get any of it!

You need to move overseas to greener pastures or knuckle down and accept you lot and quit moaning.

HOLA4424

Housing costs needed to be limited and controlled somehow. If a 3 bed semi is in the grasp of the average worker then thats fine. I truly believed that when I got to this point in life I would be working 3 days a week, job sharing, that kind of thing. Instead the property arms race continues - I'm alright but the kids behind are stuffed.

Limiting people to one house and only allowing the government to rent residential property to people would be a start.

HOLA4425

Limiting people to one house and only allowing the government to rent residential property to people would be a start.

Release the land ( we won't cover the whole of the green belt ) and build some decent houses for a sceond.

Limit what people can borrow for a third 3x salary max.

Stop mewing fourth.

Problem is these things should have been done in the last few decades and were not the govenments just let the bubble's carry on , now the s--t is hitting the fan.