House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Fancy A Houseboat?

Yes I know the disadvantages of houseboats. I think we all do ;)

But this I keep an eye out for them (must be the dreamer in me) and this one caught my eye. I don't know if the price is a mistake or not, but for 20K this is surely one of the best I've seen. Even if the hull is shot to pieces, it still looks a good bet at that price.

!ByGq0ZwBWk~$(KGrHqEOKnQEw8ojvO2CBMQ(3n5DcQ~~_35.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Houseboat-London-/130411202811?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e5d1d08fb#ht_500wt_947

post-10483-12798348272946_thumb.jpg

It does look like a good buy.

It appears the owners are moving it off the mooring to make room for a new one.

If the new one is on its way, the sellers might be a bit desperate...

Edited by Timm

Yes I know the disadvantages of houseboats. I think we all do ;)

But this I keep an eye out for them (must be the dreamer in me) and this one caught my eye. I don't know if the price is a mistake or not, but for 20K this is surely one of the best I've seen. Even if the hull is shot to pieces, it still looks a good bet at that price.

I think the reason for the price is as stated i,e. it's for the boat only, not the mooring. I think you need to factor in the issue of finding a mooring and then getting the boat transported to that location. Absolutely no chance in London, so you'll be having to get the boat removed, transported, checked over, re-berthed etc.

Price of a houseboat is the least of concerns when looking for an alternative lifestyle, residential moorings are virtually unobtainable, and crazily expensive when they do come up for sale.

By the way, has anyone heard from or of Paddles? a great poster on here, IIRC he was intent on sailing off elsewhere in a catamaran for a good while.

Edited by Flatdog

It's fairly normal for a boat to be sold without the mooring for rent. Yes it would have to be transported, another mooring secured, the hull seen to etc etc. But all these things are not unusual when buying a boat. That's the hassle factor of boat life really.

Unless there's something terrible not being stated, it's definately a promising boat. I've been tracking boat prices for a few years now.

I can't buy it though, since my accommodation is tied up for a couple of years in a very good deal. Otherwise I might be very tempted...

A houseboat is the least of concerns for an alternative lifestyle, residential moorings are virtually unobtainable, and crazily expensive when they do come up for sale.

Most people don't buy a mooring. They rent them because they are so cheap anyway. Riverside moorings are hard to come by, but I don't believe marina moorings are. They are dotted around all over the place. Edited by Darkman

that looks amazing! would be interesting to find out where it is moored and how much that costs.

I was also surprised at how "housey" it was inside, i was expecting pull out bunks and portholes but that's really nice

Would seem to be a good way to live near/in london if that isn't a misprice

Sadly not very practical us with a 7 month old baby :)

Ah I read this thread properly and realised it has no mooring.

I assume that mooring would cost as much as a small house?

Edited by Bear Necessities

that looks amazing! would be interesting to find out where it is moored and how much that costs.

I was also surprised at how "housey" it was inside, i was expecting pull out bunks and portholes but that's really nice

Would seem to be a good way to live near/in london if that isn't a misprice

Sadly not very practical us with a 7 month old baby :)

Ah I read this thread properly and realised it has no mooring.

I assume that mooring would cost as much as a small house?

It's currently moored in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. I wouldn't like to guess how much that mooring costs :lol:

[quote name='Darkman' date='22 July 2010 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1279835738' post='2635048'

Most people don't buy a mooring. They rent them because they are so cheap anyway. Riverside moorings are hard to come by, but I don't believe marina moorings are. They are dotted around all over the place.

Erm..not sure about that, please research RESIDENTIAL moorings, big difference between these and finding somewhere to moor your houseboat.

BTW, I didn't make mention of purchasing a residential mooring. Renting one can be prohibitive.

My apologies, have attempted to edit this post with no joy, no idea how the quote reads same as my post...

Edited by Flatdog

BTW, I didn't make mention of purchasing a residential mooring. Renting one can be prohibitive.

residential moorings are virtually unobtainable, and crazily expensive when they do come up for sale.

huh?

I'm not sure where you get the idea residential moorings are "prohibitively expensive". If you're looking at the Thames then of course it'll be pricey. Boats are charged on length. This one is 16.4 metres (52 feet). This site gives an example of a 60ft boat being £250 a month. Near me in West London I could probably get a mooring for this 50ft boat for around £150 at a guess.

That's not expensive.

Guest Noodle

huh?

I'm not sure where you get the idea residential moorings are "prohibitively expensive". If you're looking at the Thames then of course it'll be pricey. Boats are charged on length. This one is 16.4 metres (52 feet). This site gives an example of a 60ft boat being £250 a month. Near me in West London I could probably get a mooring for this 50ft boat for around £150 at a guess.

That's not expensive.

Go on then. Go and buy it.

My accommodation is tied up for a few years, subsidised by my employer. This isn't the right time for me to buy a boat, or a house for that matter.

If I was in the market to buy right now, depending on further investigation of course, this could be a decent punt. And I wouldn't be publicising it here either!

Anyone considering this has to factor in the hassle of relocating it obviously.

I'm not helping someone sell the boat btw ;) It just caught my eye.

We had an holiday on a wide beam (2.5m I think) canal boat on the Leeds Liverpool canal,one like THIS. Quarter inch thick steel hulls and 2 double bedrooms. They are really liveable, at least if you're in holiday mode. I know someone who worked in London and lived on a narrow beam canal boat, and although he had to move from location to location, every week or two, he loved the lifestyle. Probably not feasible if you have school age kids though, or if you're infirm in any serious way.

I looked into houseboats in London as a groovy bohemian alternative to a flat. I had the same advice as others have posted. Bascally, residential moorings like hens teeth etc. and buy any boat that comes with a mooring in a location you want and then buy the boat you want and put it on that mooring.

Was really keen on the whole idea but sort of forgot all about it. Definitely more interesting lifestyle than being in any number of thameside apartment blocks.

That does indeed look very tempting. Hmmm. I think I might know a few places where it could be moored close to London, perhaps up towards Galleons Lock or maybe further downstream.

Price of a houseboat is the least of concerns when looking for an alternative lifestyle, residential moorings are virtually unobtainable, and crazily expensive when they do come up for sale.

By the way, has anyone heard from or of Paddles? a great poster on here, IIRC he was intent on sailing off elsewhere in a catamaran for a good while.

Probably doing a 2 year stretch for torching Foxtons in Islington........