House Price Crash Forum
RentingForever

Bonfire Of The Quangos

Lots of Quangos on their way out. Let's keep a running list. Extra prizes if anyone can spot any quango that did useful work.

Announced this week, closure within a year of:

The Strategic Advisory Board for Intellectual Property policy (SABIP)

SITPRO (Simplifying International Trade)

Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Advisory Body (WAB)

British Shipbuilders Corporation

8 Regional Government Offices: South-West, South-East, East Midlands, West Midlands, East of England, North-West, Yorkshire & the Humber and North-East

Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution

Agricultural Wages Board

the 15 Agricultural Wages Committees

the 16 Agricultural Dwelling House Advisory Committees

Committee on Agricultural Valuation

Inland Waterways Advisory Council

Commons Commissioners.

The Sustainable Development Commission

Oh, forgot to add (announced earlier in the year):

BECTA, British Educational Communications and Technology Agency

What about SHITE? Society of Housing Inspector Training & Enterprise

Is it going down the pan?

No, I heard they folded

:lol:

Travel agent R5 said today that the pound is driving Uk holidaymakers outside Europe, and they're all booking Caribbean holidays.

Are you once again trousering large amounts?

:lol:

Travel agent R5 said today that the pound is driving Uk holidaymakers outside Europe, and they're all booking Caribbean holidays.

Are you once again trousering large amounts?

Not really - my main island has been hit by crime again, this time a gang with AK47s running around sticking up villas and a bar, firing in the air (when the average Brit would handover their wallet when confronted with a hard stare alone, a machine gun is massive overkill and presumably designed to intimidate the - only too happy to stay in the station - local police with their ancient revolvers). But I did have a great winter - a snow stimulus with massive last minute bookings from the start of the mini ice age until the volcanic ash stopped it. So here is hoping that Brits decide that risking a bullet in the belly is better than cold tootsies, and book again this winter

Lots of Quangos on their way out. Let's keep a running list. Extra prizes if anyone can spot any quango that did useful work.

I do hope that the totally useless OFCOM goes. Just take a look at the shambles that is the broadband industry and the fact that OFCOM won't even regulate them.

Some seem quite disturbly old-Tory "screw the poor" like the agricultural wages boards which set out to stop farmers short-changing their employees.

I really can't see any Lib-Dem in this coalition. It's through and through old-school Toryism.

Some of the quangos definitely deserve the bullet though so don't get me wrong, I'm not a Labour supporter either.

OP, where did you find this list? I've been keeping an eye out for this and didn't hear a peep about QUANGOs closing down.

Reported on Channel 4 news last night and buried on their site:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/defra+belt+tightening+leaves+30+quangos+axed/3720402

BBC doesn't seem to have reported it at all. Looks like the government slipped it out unnoticed on the last couple of days before they break up.

Some seem quite disturbly old-Tory "screw the poor" like the agricultural wages boards which set out to stop farmers short-changing their employees.

Are they not covered by minimum wage?

Are they not covered by minimum wage?

Does anyone know what's happening to ONE Northeast etc? Is that what was referred to as the Regional government thingies or is that another quango perhaps?

I really can't see any Lib-Dem in this coalition. It's through and through old-school Toryism.

Some of the quangos definitely deserve the bullet though so don't get me wrong, I'm not a Labour supporter either.

Maybe the relevance of the agricultural wage board has long gone... precious few genuine staff are employed full time in agriculture anymore and those that are have pretty good skills farmers don't want to lose. Probbaly from a "protection " point of view the only thing worth monitoring is the actions of the labour gangs who bring in workers or organise workers for construction/ agriculture as like them jonny foreigners or not there are quite a lot of dodgy practices in thise areas...... so I think there no political angle in ditching the agricultural wages board.. it had just had its day.... bit like a miners wage board if ever a thing existed.

Maybe the relevance of the agricultural wage board has long gone... precious few genuine staff are employed full time in agriculture anymore and those that are have pretty good skills farmers don't want to lose. Probbaly from a "protection " point of view the only thing worth monitoring is the actions of the labour gangs who bring in workers or organise workers for construction/ agriculture as like them jonny foreigners or not there are quite a lot of dodgy practices in thise areas...... so I think there no political angle in ditching the agricultural wages board.. it had just had its day.... bit like a miners wage board if ever a thing existed.

Using that argument, Parliament should go. We have more than enough laws to see us through to the next ice age or large meteorite hit.

p-o-p

Not really - my main island has been hit by crime again, this time a gang with AK47s running around sticking up villas and a bar, firing in the air ...

Can't you market it as some sort of immersive reality TV cop show experience?

Can't you market it as some sort of immersive reality TV cop show experience?

You must work in marketing, I like that idea! We could call it: "Caribbean All-Inclusive Hotel Cops and Robbers Package Holidays" - the cost could be real competitive, since only 1 way tickets would be required.

More seriously, Caribbean tourism will survive, but inside 10 years the only remaining resorts will be Jamaica style, full razor wire fenced with armed guards patrolling and nobody leaving the compound unless in a guarded tour bus. The days of renting isolated rainforest cottages and villas are coming to an end - just as they will in Goa, Thailand, etc, even the Lake District eventually - crack/poverty is the cause of the banditry.

You must work in marketing, I like that idea! We could call it: "Caribbean All-Inclusive Hotel Cops and Robbers Package Holidays" - the cost could be real competitive, since only 1 way tickets would be required.

More seriously, Caribbean tourism will survive, but inside 10 years the only remaining resorts will be Jamaica style, full razor wire fenced with armed guards patrolling and nobody leaving the compound unless in a guarded tour bus. The days of renting isolated rainforest cottages and villas are coming to an end - just as they will in Goa, Thailand, etc, even the Lake District eventually - crack/poverty is the cause of the banditry.

I reckon it'll be crystal-meth in the Lake District but, otherwise, that sounds about right.

and there's more:

Alcohol Education and Research Council

Appointments Commission

Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence - to be made a self-funding body by charging a levy on regulators

Health Protection Agency

Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority

Human Tissue Authority

National Patient Safety Agency

National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse

NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10762043