House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

Government Terminate Raytheon E-Border Contract...

Raytheon has been removed from its lead role overseeing the £750m project to provide a secure border control system for the UK after the British government said it had “no confidence” in the US defence and security company.

The decision to terminate Raytheon’s contract, taken on Thursday by Theresa May, home secretary, is an early sign that the new coalition government intends to take a far tougher approach to government contractors than its Labour predecessor. The home secretary made the decision after examining the project alongside the new cross-government “efficiency reform group”, headed by Francis Maude at the Cabinet Office and Danny Alexander, chief secretary to the Treasury.

“The home secretary has no confidence in the prime supplier of the e-Borders contract, which since July 2009 has been in breach of contract,” Damian Green, the UK immigration minister, said on Thursday. “With critical parts of the programme already running at least 12 months late, we have taken the decision to terminate the contract.”

E-Borders is a central part of the government’s efforts to bring immigration under control and improve border security. It is aimed at storing the electronic passenger details of all people coming into the UK, which can be checked against police, security and immigration watch-lists.

The Home Office said £188m had so far been spent on the £750m contract. Officials said no penalty fee would be paid because the contract was “terminated for cause”, including late delivery of important milestones such as a National Border Targeting Centre.

Raytheon was not available for immediate comment.

The Home Office said Raytheon and its sub-contractors on the project – including Serco, Detica, Qinetiq and Accenture – will continue working on e-borders until a replacement for the US company is found. It said a new prime contractor would be free to choose its own team of sub-contractors.

The cancellation could open the way for BT, the telecoms group, to retender for the contract after it missed out on the initial bid. The Home Office said it was still fully committed to introducing the system, which is being brought in because of criticism that Britain has little knowledge of which people are entering and leaving the country, or how many.

Mr Green said: “It has been clear for some time that the way the existing programme was developing gave rise to serious concern. Over recent weeks we have been examining progress and it has been extremely disappointing. While some elements have been delivered, they have not been delivered on time. Delivery of the next critical parts of the programme are already running at least 12 months late.”

Good to see somebody getting a grip on this project and drawing a line in the sand, without penalties. Wonder if it will open the job for a UK co instead? So many of these firms seem to have completely taken the p*** under the previous government, with no consequences: I'd like to see the our Gov playing hardball for a change with a little encouragement of cost control, meeting of milestones etc.

Payback for Obama's BP bashing?

I wondered that... I do hope so: be nice to see the 'Junior Partner' has teeth!

One of my ex-colleagues from UKBA ended up being assistant Director of e-borders - a couple of weeks back a mutual pal told me the whole department was being closed down and scrapped, and that he was looking for a new post pronto to save his skin from the coming cuts. I doubt this scheme will ever resurface - rumour has it that it was essentially unworkable, with complaints of its impracticalities from small yacht captains up to big airlines.

Guest Noodle

One of my ex-colleagues from UKBA ended up being assistant Director of e-borders - a couple of weeks back a mutual pal told me the whole department was being closed down and scrapped, and that he was looking for a new post pronto to save his skin from the coming cuts. I doubt this scheme will ever resurface - rumour has it that it was essentially unworkable, with complaints of its impracticalities from small yacht captains up to big airlines.

CB, whats the easiest, lowest risk way of smuggling cigarettes into the UK?

Up your Ladyboy lover's chocolate highway?

Seriously, when I worked for UKBA it had not yet merged with customs and was still called Immigration. So I know little of smuggling tricks (excepting people smuggling). Make google your friend and you will learn the tricks!

Guest Noodle

Up your Ladyboy lover's chocolate highway?

Seriously, when I worked for UKBA it had not yet merged with customs and was still called Immigration. So I know little of smuggling tricks (excepting people smuggling). Make google your friend and you will learn the tricks!

Jolly good idea.

Is it easy to smuggle ladyboys in? Would anyone notice the Adams apple?

Jolly good idea.

Is it easy to smuggle ladyboys in? Would anyone notice the Adams apple?

I wish it was, we could do with some fun up here in staid Norfolk! Don't you shave the adams apples before you release the gimp these days?

Guest Noodle

I wish it was, we could do with some fun up here in staid Norfolk! Don't you shave the adams apples before you release the gimp these days?

I've no idea. But last time I was in Pattaya (getting the PC fixed!), one chased me down the road with her willy out. :blink:

Crackers!

Don't you mean British Petroleum, as Obama kept inaccurately calling them?

Could have been worse

... the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, which later changed its name to British Petroleum ...

Suitcase full of Marlboro Lights or Bennie Hedgehogs through Terminal 3 at LHR on an early morning arrival. The chance of being caught must be less than 1%.

I had a friend of a friend who made a living doing "fag runs" from the Middle East this way.