House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Panorama Undercover @ Vets

I didn't think I would be able to watch this and I've been catching glimpses of it. The bits I saw, while not too pleasant didn't seem excessively violent to animals. A nurse holding a cat by its mane was the worst I saw. Was there worse than this? It seemed the bits I saw were like a Donald Macintyre type undercover program where he goes to an Old Peoples home and he films days of footage and we see an old person having to be restrained which whichever you play it isn't going to look pleasant. It seems that the vets worst crime is overcharging?

I didn't think I would be able to watch this and I've been catching glimpses of it. The bits I saw, while not too pleasant didn't seem excessively violent to animals. A nurse holding a cat by its mane was the worst I saw. Was there worse than this? It seemed the bits I saw were like a Donald Macintyre type undercover program where he goes to an Old Peoples home and he films days of footage and we see an old person having to be restrained which whichever you play it isn't going to look pleasant. It seems that the vets worst crime is overcharging?

Didn't see it but did see the preview yesterday. They showed a cat being picked up by it's neck skin 3 times. Unless I have missed something - this is exactly how you are supposed to pick up a cat.

It is how kittens are picked up by their mums, and cats have a flappy bit of skin there for this very purpose. I have picked up my own cat this way. It didn't like it but it didn't harm it. I reckon it reminds them of being bossed around as a young un. And cats don't like being bossed around.

So was this the worst in the whole programme ?! :blink:

I didn't think I would be able to watch this and I've been catching glimpses of it. The bits I saw, while not too pleasant didn't seem excessively violent to animals. A nurse holding a cat by its mane was the worst I saw.

I didn't see the program, but holding a cat by the scruff of the neck is a way of asserting dominance over it. There is a reflex that causes them to relax when this is done, which exists when they are kittens. It is how the mother carries them, hence the association with being the undercat when being held this way I presume. You will see cats do something similar when dominating other cats and lions grab lionesses by the nape of the neck when mating. The only danger with this in an adult cat is that, because of their weight, you can choke them, so you should support their weight when you do this with a hand under their bottom.

Doing this, in conjunction with a good hard unflinching stare whilst saying "No". Is the ultimate chastisement in the D'oh house, which has been resorted to twice in the past 6 years. It says "you have been a naughty kitten" in cat language like nothing else. Nothing gets the message across like it.

Without having seen the show, I suspect the nurse was dealing with a very aggressive or difficult to control cat, and it may very well have been the only way. A frightened cat in fight to survive mode is basically uncontrollable, and they can inflict nasty wounds. They scare me much more than an angry dog. Much quicker and more vicious for their size. Mrs D'oh was bitten once, and the infection was frighteningly rapid. By the time we saw the GP less than 24 hours afterwards, a CD sized portion of her thigh was firm and purple and growing at an alarming rate.

Didn't see it but did see the preview yesterday. They showed a cat being picked up by it's neck skin 3 times. Unless I have missed something - this is exactly how you are supposed to pick up a cat.

I wouldn't pick up an adult cat you are being friendly with this way. It sends a very strong dominance message which they aren't going to like much. Dogs need you to master them to be happy (or let them dominate you, which is intolerable.) Cats seem to work better if you only point out you are boss when it really matters.

I didn't see the program, but holding a cat by the scruff of the neck is a way of asserting dominance over it. There is a reflex that causes them to relax when this is done, which exists when they are kittens. It is how the mother carries them, hence the association with being the undercat when being held this way I presume. You will see cats do something similar when dominating other cats and lions grab lionesses by the nape of the neck when mating. The only danger with this in an adult cat is that, because of their weight, you can choke them, so you should support their weight when you do this with a hand under their bottom.

Doing this, in conjunction with a good hard unflinching stare whilst saying "No". Is the ultimate chastisement in the D'oh house, which has been resorted to twice times in the past 6 years. It says "you have been a naughty kitten" in cat language like nothing else. Nothing gets the message across like it.

Without having seen the show, I suspect the nurse was dealing with a very aggressive or difficult to control cat, and it may very well have been the only way. A frightened cat in fight to survive mode is basically uncontrollable, and they can inflict nasty wounds. They scare me much more than an angry dog. Much quicker and more vicious for their size. Mrs D'oh was bitten once, and the infection was frighteningly rapid. By the time we saw the GP less than 24 hours afterwards, a CD sized portion of her thigh was firm and purple and growing at an alarming rate.

Yep. My cat used to go up on the kitchen top. I did this neck thing a few times whilst making a wee noise. Now all I have to do is make that same noise and move towards it and it does a runner. Definitely works.

Not exactly sure why an hour long documentary is required on this though. :blink:

She does get her own back sometimes though. had a wee toy fight with her and she clawed my hand in a Bruce Lee style attack !!!

Fast wee buggers.

I wouldn't pick up an adult cat you are being friendly with this way. It sends a very strong dominance message which they aren't going to like much. Dogs need you to master them to be happy (or let them dominate you, which is intolerable.) Cats seem to work better if you only point out you are boss when it really matters.

See above :D

Only had to do it twice. Dogs don't catch on quite so quick.

Although I have to say my cat does push it regularly though. Even though she knows what will happen. Like she is taking the mick. Probably is. They are smart wee gits.

I flicked over and back, a dog got a paw injured by a trainee nurse.

Then the senior vet nurse was recorded saying that they would tell the owner it came in like that. They then charged £13+ for the cream it needed to help the paw heal!

It is how kittens are picked up by their mums, and cats have a flappy bit of skin there for this very purpose. I have picked up my own cat this way. It didn't like it but it didn't harm it. I reckon it reminds them of being bossed around as a young un. And cats don't like being bossed around.

So was this the worst in the whole programme ?! :blink:

+1 in my experience vets have always grabbed cats by their neck.

Never needed to be as forceful with a cat myself, then again I've not been cleaning its teeth, sticking a needle in its skin or a thermometer up its bum. (Might change - neighbours cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes and so future occasional feeding duties will include an injection.)

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

129001224682580306.jpg

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

129001224682580306.jpg

Very true. biggrin.gif

The programme wasn't really about animal cruelty, it was about pet owners being ripped off by their vets. It mainly focussed on a chain called Medivet. They were doing some unpleasant stuff like getting untrained assistants to put in catheters or do injections because it's cheaper than paying a fully trained veterinary nurse, and there was lots of scamming about sending animals for unnecessary tests or charging for treatments that were never actually provided. I watched it with my vet housemate, he said the criticism was legitimate but he wasn't surprised as the big chains have a culture of extracting maximum cash because they are all on commission. He makes a salary at a non-chain surgery and says he's under little pressure to do anything except what's necessary for the animal.

The programme wasn't really about animal cruelty

Was certainly sold that way. Maybe because the actual subject matter was pretty dull. People prefer to be shocked by watching pain and suffering. We are a strange species.

Made a point of not watching....anything to do with cruelty to children or animals, mental or physical abuse upsets me too much.....