House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

9Pm C4 Tower Hamlets Council Boss Goes Undercover

Well the first woman who delivers 70 meals on wheels every day didn't seem to be slacking much.

===========

+1

In fact, I don't think any of those employees lived up to the hpc urban myth of public sector workers being lazy, incompetent ,unproductive oafs who are only interested in their btl property portfolios.

Don't believe for a second they didn't know who he was. No mention of where he thought cuts would fall. Bet he won't be looking to take a paycut either.

Tower Hamlets one of 6 London Boroughs you keep away from.

A CE who eats Pie and Mash on his salary. :rolleyes:

lol , i lived there and i bet one of the others that are on your list of six , Newham ? that's one to keep away from.

Don't believe for a second they didn't know who he was.

I noticed he got issued a brand new jacket and expensive safety work boots for his one day stint...

===========

+1

In fact, I don't think any of those employees lived up to the hpc urban myth of public sector workers being lazy, incompetent ,unproductive oafs who are only interested in their btl property portfolios.

I don't think that they lived up to the profile of an average worker at all.

I have never in my life worked anywhere, even in well run companies,where there wasn't many examples of slacking workers and unnecessary over management.

Yet this guy at one of the, allegedly, worst run councils in the UK managed to find seven workers who didn't have a single fault.

Completely unbelievable.

tim

Hold on. Have they turned 'The Cuts' into a reality TV series or something?

*drools* now that'd be fun.

Camera close up on the overpaid monkies at the top as they get told they're sacked and new redundency terms mean they get minimal payoff.

On the face of it, they all seemed pretty normal hardworking ppl. The enforcement officers I could imagen being jobsworths but it's not a job I envy!

I don't believe they were average employees for 2 seconds though, why didn't he shadow a middle manager in the office?

On the face of it, they all seemed pretty normal hardworking ppl. The enforcement officers I could imagen being jobsworths but it's not a job I envy!

I don't believe they were average employees for 2 seconds though, why didn't he shadow a middle manager in the office?

IMO the two enforcement officers were thugs and bullies. They seems to be a bit thick. One was an ex-police officer who still wanted to play at being a policeman.

Guest X-QUORK

IMO the two enforcement officers were thugs and bullies. They seems to be a bit thick. One was an ex-police officer who still wanted to play at being a policeman.

They walked around dressed like police officers trying to fool people into thinking they had powers of arrest. I laughed when that kid cottoned on..."Hold on, you ain't real Bill, you're just plastic Bill". :lol:

They started the program saying they needed to cut the spending but didn't want to cut front line services, then spent the entire time with front line services. As someone else said, why not spend some time with middle management.

This program was so much more window dressed than the other undercover boss shows I have seen. Just about every council employee wears a shirt and tie at all times it seems.

And the changes he came up with at the end were laughable

He wanted a couple of them to join a committee

He wanted to mentor the housing office guy every couple of weeks, why does the chief exec have enough time spare to mentor a very junior member of staff every couple of weeks, he still wasn't a permanent member of staff at the end of the show.

It looks like he was just committed to more cost at the end of the show than he started with, which makes you wander if they just wanted to use the show to justify why they could not cut their budget, but they wouldn't do this though would they?

why didn't he shadow a middle manager in the office?

And there's the nub of it. All front-line workers can be jobsworths (I'm sure we've come across many in our vast experience!), but the fact is I don't want to see the amount of binmen/pest controllers/meals on wheels delivery bods reduced.

I want the next two tiers of management above them, and all the H&S and cultural diversity officers assigned to their departments, audited. If found to be excess to requirements, then lets get rid of them.