House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

Can You Buy Ebook Readers In the Shops

I've noticed that the Sony range of eBook readers has come down a lot in price, the entry level 5" reader is now under £100.

Might have something to do with the pricing of the Kindle, although September may see the launch of upgraded Sony models (link).

That's really tempting at £99. I'm also thinking of taking a punt on this £75 netbook just to view PDFs and text files, and also surf. It's almost disposable at that price.

I think the current Sonys could do with a lick of extra contrast myself to be even more comfy to read, so I'd wait. The Sonys also read a wider range of formats. I do like these devices though - ebooks have always been a fantastic idea but there's been no display technology I could stomach reading books on before now.

I think the current Sonys could do with a lick of extra contrast myself to be even more comfy to read.

All rumors at the moment but improved contrast is supposed to be one of the upgraded features.

Sony has planned its comeback into the now thriving market for e-readers with two devices, code named PRS-350 and PRS-650. These devices will reportedly have the same E Ink display which has made the Amazon Kindle a household name.

The two Sony eReaders, which are being called the Pocket Edition and the Touch Edition for now, will also have 5 and 6 inch screens respectively. If you remember correctly, earlier Sony e-readers had a pretty ordinary directional pad, and full-touch controls are certainly an improvement over those devices.

LINK

The existing 600 model has touch controls already, although this is alleged to impact on text clarity..

Wifi is rumoured for the new 650, but not the 350.

I bought the Sony e-reader, quite a while back, and didn't get on with it really - battery life is good though. Big hoo-hah about the screen technology but, I preferred reading off my iphone screen. Going to see what the ipad's like when I remember to go to an Apple store and get one.

Going to see what the ipad's like when I remember to go to an Apple store and get one.

Apple store should be a good choice. I've seen the iPad on display at PC World (3 iPads, no iBook app installed on any of them) and in John Lewis, Sheffield (only 1 machine had iBooks installed).

iBooks does look very smart, especially the page change feature.

Apple store should be a good choice. I've seen the iPad on display at PC World (3 iPads, no iBook app installed on any of them) and in John Lewis, Sheffield (only 1 machine had iBooks installed).

iBooks does look very smart, especially the page change feature.

I've just took the plunge and got the sony from john lewis. It'll be a learning tool to help me figure out what I actually want from an ebook. And then it'll be a nice small device for taking camping or on hol etc.

I was shocked to see that Waterstone's sell ebooks an near the paper version price though. Especially when 2nd hand paperbacks can be got for a couple of quid.

I was shocked to see that Waterstone's sell ebooks an near the paper version price though. Especially when 2nd hand paperbacks can be got for a couple of quid.

I've seen one or two eBook titles on Amazon that I might be interested in. They go for under £4 (link). That sort of price I could live with.

The same title is twice as much on Waterstones (link). And the paperback version is cheaper than the eBook version (link).

Unfortunately it's not possible for you to buy the cheaper version from Amazon as it's in their propriety format.

It's possible to remove the DRM and convert it to ePUB format, but that would be a lot of faffling about.